How Do You Approach Friends About Weight Loss?

Options
I'm not that big but we all have bigger friends. You know people close to you. How do you approach them about getting fit in a way they will listen? My friends aren't into the idea of scanning bar codes and recording work outs. If they were they'd already be doing it. Any ideas? A lot of you guys are going to say the motivation has to come from with in. I don't know, I golf with a group of guys and I've asked a few if they were curious to know what their diet actually did for them which is met with jokes about me being a calorie counter in a negative way. But what I see is the guy who has wings, fries and beer before golf and polishes the round off with some burger king. He constantly reminds us that he should stop smoking as it's killing him getting up the fairways. And all I can think is I can so help my friend. It's so easy. The first step is just committing to wanting it. Maybe I'm just a jerk.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    unfortunately most people arent going to take your advice to heart unless they truly want to lose weight.

i know alot of my friends who are bigger would tell me flat out the piss off if i talked to them about calorie counting, and they have expressed desire to lose weight in the past
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I don't. Ever. it does have to come within, period. And you run the risk of really offending, embarrassing, and alienating them. My friends know about my weight loss goals and if they have questions they know they are more than welcome to initiate a conversation with me, but hell would freeze over before I approached them.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it can come off as pushy and insulting. I know it's not the intention, but people can be VERY sensitive about their weight and it can have the opposite effect.

I think the best way is to start with exercise. Just say "Hey you wanna go for a hike with me on Saturday?" or something like that. My friend was larger than me, but that didn't matter. We'd go for walks and out to eat, and I noticed my eating habits were kind of rubbing off on her. Then she started kickboxing classes and got into it!

It's different for everyone. In terms of kicking habits like smoking, that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't. If people ask me how I did it (and a lot do), I just tell them I work out, walk a lot, and count calories. Typically the questions stop there and they tell me they can't imagine doing it because they love food too much.. but so do I, really. I just had to learn moderation, which I guess is the hardest part for most people.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have an obese friend whose doctor told him he will most likely die within 10 years unless he loses weight.

He hasn't done a thing to lose even an ounce.

You can bring a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

I am one of the lightest among all my friends, and I am constantly trying to shed some vanity pounds. I always wish they would get on the wagon and shed a few. Not for looks, but for their health. Several of them have already suffered medical complications in their 20s due to weight.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't and you shouldn't, I only ever bring up my weight loss when someone ask me a question about it I will never say oh you could do with losing 20/30lbs even though we're all thinking it.
  • alexagia
    alexagia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You kinda have to wait until they come to you. All I can suggest is try to set an example without rubbing their noses in it. If they see how well you're doing, they might see the light, and decide that they want what you have.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm just a jerk.
    That's exactly what they'll think if you try to impose your lifestyle on them. The good news is that you can easily out run them if you happen to piss them off. Maybe they will try to get in shape for the sole purpose of beating the crap out of you.
  • JCLondonUK
    JCLondonUK Posts: 159
    Options
    I don't. Ever. it does have to come within, period. And you run the risk of really offending, embarrassing, and alienating them. My friends know about my weight loss goals and if they have questions they know they are more than welcome to initiate a conversation with me, but hell would freeze over before I approached them.

^^ This

Mind your own business, and leave others to live their lives as they choose.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

^This, seriously.

OP, you're not a jerk. You care, and that says a lot. But you need to leave it alone unless you want your friends to think you're a jerk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't...at most I will invite them to join me on a bike ride or a hike or whatever, but I don't ever have "interventions" with my overweight friends. If someone would have done that with me when I was fat I would have kicked their ****ing *kitten* into next week. It's difficult, because these are our friends and we care about them....but there's not a whole lot that can be done outside of setting a good, positive example.

If they want to make that change, they have to decide to do it for themselves...I can be an example and I'm always willing to share what knowledge I have with anyone...but I don't push it on anyone. If they ask, I tell...but that's it.
  • tulosai
    tulosai Posts: 20 Member
    Options

This. I only speak about it with anyone if they speak about it first, and even in that instance I proceed with EXTREME caution. The only exception to this might be if someone VERY close to me (husband, parent, sibling) had a confirmed health issue and it was very likely losing some weight to fix it. In that instance, I might try to have one brief come to Jesus with them, but if that did not work, I'd give up.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I have heavy friends and I could care less. I like their character and that is why we are friends. If they want to be big or small I don't care. If they want to lose weight I hope I set an example. I would not appreciate any one telling me to lose weight.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My best friend's GF came to me about it in a positive way. She does personal training / health promotion so for her it was an easy topic to bring up. She knew about weight watchers and recommended to me in a nice way, I never heard of it before she told me so it was good advice.

I took her advice and lost weight on WW, and now I'm here on fitness pal also at her recommendation and still doing great. If you love your friends and they love you sometimes they'll tell you things you don't want to hear. I wouldn't have it any other way.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You don't unless you're prepared to lose the friendship. People are ready to lose weight when they're ready. Not when someone else thinks they should.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard when you care about people to watch them not take care of themselves, but unless we're talking someone you're in a serious relationship with or an immediate family member, just don't. You don't know what they do for every meal, how they exercise, what they've talked to their doctors about....and quite frankly it's none of your business.

People get weird about health and fitness and often want to preach to everyone who will listen, but it's a great way to lose friends. Just like constantly spouting off about politics or religion, actually.

You don't have to hide what you do, and it's probably good if your friends know that you're on weight loss or fitness plan that's working, but that's all they need to know. If they want your advice or opinion, they'll ask. And then you can tell them what you're doing, but only then.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    When people bring it up first saying they want to lose a certain amount of pounds I will say "hey we should do it together, I've already lost 55 pounds, I use myfitnesspal, it's free it's easy" etc. I don't really bring it up first though. Maybe you could focus on the fitness aspect more , some people respond better to that.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't approach friends about weight loss unless I wanted to offend them. I know you care about your friends but the best thing you can do is set a good example.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Why would you even think it was any of your business? I'm sure they know they are over weight. When they get ready to lose weight, and if the ASK your opinion, that is your queue to step up.