Fat seems a waste of calories to me...

Options
1235»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My fat is under control as a rule. I don't use oil on salads, but I do cook my eggs with butter. I eat nuts, so there's good fat there. I also eat avocados and cheese. I eat 0% or 2% greek yogurt and 1% lactaid milk.I take the skin off chicken and I eat 85/15 hamburgers. I eat a lot of fish.I think fat isn't a problem and it's part of a balanced food plan.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if others have already mentioned this TMI topic but I find that if I don't eat enough healthy fats I am not as regular as I'd like. Happy me needs to be regular, therefore I eat healthy fats! hehe
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if others have already mentioned this TMI topic but I find that if I don't eat enough healthy fats I am not as regular as I'd like. Happy me needs to be regular, therefore I eat healthy fats! hehe

TROOTH!!!!

I upped my protein significantly last year- and everything else stayed the same- took one look the day after at my nutirent pie chart and figured out REAL fast what the problem was.

everyone screams fiber- but a trip to white castle usually fixes you faster and with better taste!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

TROOTH!!!!

I upped my protein significantly last year- and everything else stayed the same- took one look the day after at my nutirent pie chart and figured out REAL fast what the problem was.

everyone screams fiber- but a trip to white castle usually fixes you faster and with better taste!!!!
    LOL. truth indeed. Low fat can be quite the...umm... well, you know.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty high fat on account of my love for junk food. That being said, I understand that the real recommendation is min .35g/lb so as long as you're getting 45g a day, eat what you like.
    I use it (low-fat cheese) shredded in salads or in omelets. Honestly can't tell the difference. But yeah, I wouldn't eat it plain. And I'm not even trying the very low fat stuff... yuck.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I eat part-skim cheese sometimes but I've always found it disappointing in recipes (or, worst of all, melted). On its own, I rather like it. I enjoy the gummy-ness. I even eat low-fat cheddar or swiss, in fact.

Low-fat sour cream, on the other hand...

ETA : for me, fiber and caffeine seem more important for regularity.
  • JoRocka
    Options

TROOTH!!!!

LOL. truth indeed. Low fat can be quite the...umm... well, you know.

indeed.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I eat part-skim cheese sometimes but I've always found it disappointing in recipes (or, worst of all, melted). On its own, I rather like it. I enjoy the gummy-ness. I even eat low-fat cheddar or swiss, in fact.

Low-fat sour cream, on the other hand...

ETA : for me, fiber and caffeine seem more important for regularity.
    should have sent it to you then- such a waste of cheese LMAO

I pretty much don't eat low fat anything unless A.) it means I seriously get a significant amount more- and B.) the taste is negligable.

I don't even use sour cream any more- I only use greek yogurt- and I actually prefer the lower fat variation (I add crap to it so it's never just plain yogurt) but it's perfecty tangy and consistency for sour cream and or mayo.

I wish coffeey did that for me- i drink so much of it it has little to no impact what so ever.
    orange juice- especially at IHOP_ no clue what they have going on there- but I ALWAYS have to go before I leave. It's SO WEIRD.
  • mistermama
    Options
    Fat is important from proper body health, and it can be more filling than carbs and sugars. What about eating fish? Or coconut oil? Or google "fat bomb recipes", sweet treats made with tons of fats.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

TROOTH!!!!

Yeah! After I quit smoking, fat is a life-saver lol
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The only calories that seem like a waste to me is of eating foods I dont like or enjoy at all. TOo many people think they have to give up the stuff they love to lose weight and suffer on rice cakes, low cal this and that, and stuff that just may not agree with them.

That is no way to go if you ask me.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    The only calories that seem like a waste to me is of eating foods I dont like or enjoy at all. TOo many people think they have to give up the stuff they love to lose weight and suffer on rice cakes, low cal this and that, and stuff that just may not agree with them.

That is no way to go if you ask me.

indeed.

I don't advocate chewing and spitting- but I definitely ate part of a bagel and realized it wasn't awesome- spent about 30 seconds chewing before I realized I REALLY didn't want to waste 150 calories- and I spit it out in the garbage.

just so not worth it.
  • ChelseyDAdams
    Options
    Do you like avocados? Those are a GREAT fat for you and are really easy to sneak into things. You can even add half an avocado to a fruit or fruit/veggie smoothie - it just gives it a nice creamy texture and richer taste. In fact, in many other countries avocado is used as a sweet treat, never savory like we use it here. My husband lived in Brazil for a couple years and they only use it there as a sweet drink or dessert item. :)

Olives are good too, but be careful of too many due to the sodium.

Those are very easy things to put onto most savory meals too!

But yes, fats ARE important to our bodies and extremely important to make sure your cells get all the nutrients and that you feel satiated throughout the day and aren't left craving more food. :)
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Minimum fat intake is essential
    Minimum protein intake is essentail
    Carbs are not essential at all, merely optimal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 40-50g of fat a day (a bit more lately though I guess, as I'm eating more ice cream :laugh: ).

According to your diary you calorie goal is 1800, so this would be 20% - 25% of your calories from fat, which is fine according to the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/index.html?s_cid=tw_ob294
    ...it's best to keep your total fat intake between 20 and 35% of your total calories each day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 40-50g of fat a day (a bit more lately though I guess, as I'm eating more ice cream :laugh: ).

According to your diary you calorie goal is 1800, so this would be 20% - 25% of your calories from fat, which is fine according to the CDC.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/fat/index.html?s_cid=tw_ob294
    ...it's best to keep your total fat intake between 20 and 35% of your total calories each day.

Thanks... If I listen to everyone else here I'm totally malnourished or something :laugh: Although I've been trying to eat more fats.

Oh, and being regular isn't a problem for me. I actually used to have diarrhea all the time from eating too much fat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Thanks... If I listen to everyone else here I'm totally malnourished or something :laugh: Although I've been trying to eat more fats.

Oh, and being regular isn't a problem for me. I actually used to have diarrhea all the time from eating too much fat.

:~) Listen to opinions, do what makes sense for you..
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Based on my own experience, my flares were the worst when I'd been going low-fat for a while and then ate fat. When I keep an eye on it, add some nuts to my breakfast and a little butter to my bread, I find that an occasional indulgence doesn't immediately make me sorry.

You know you need fat to absorb nutrients. Suck it up.

this.

typically people have intense GI distress over highly fatty foods- and then condemn them for being "dirty" unclean" or trash... but the reality is - most often they have been "eating healthier" and living very low fat- and any sudden change/spike like that will cause distress or discomfort.

I find the exact opposite- carbs are too "expensive' for me- I'm never satisfied and they just take up so much of my budget- rather have high protein- high fat.

I did that as a teenager - a personal trainer put me on the 'grilled skinless chicken breast, no mayo, steamed veggie, no butter diet'. For sport performance, not weight loss, though I certainly did lose weight. *sigh*

What a nice pair of idiots we were.

It took me a loooong time to get where I could eat normally without immediate intestinal distress. It was a year until I could eat a basic hamburger without making sure there was a bathroom nearby. A FRIGGIN' YEAR!

I was determined and ate my way through it, though. :laugh: