Shopping -what a blow to my self esteem!

Options
2»

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

wear black - it's slimming and flattering on everybody
    invest in some spanx (or something similar) - sucks you in

no. Black with Spanx under it in May/June??
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Try a different style. I have come to the conclusion that regardless of my size certain things may never look good on me. (I tried on bathing suits last weekend - not fun!)

Yes - try different stores, styles, fabrics and/or colors. You may find that you look better in clothes you wouldn't have considered in the past.
  • MissShancey1
    MissShancey1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    try some kind of flowing spring time dress that cuts off at the knee and maybe something covering your arms
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I usually do this in my own closet. I have a lot of clothes...some are old but in smaller sizes which I use a "tape measure". Some day when I feel leaner or lighter, I put them on.. and then...:brokenheart:
  • jeanstudies
    jeanstudies Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am now out of women's clothes (tight 20/2X) and can go to the regular section and get 16/XL.
    I am SOOOO envious of you right now! I am still in 2X and 3X and I yearn to get back to the days of 16/XL. It may be that, as some have suggested, you will have to try shopping in different stores until you find one that fits your (new!) shape better. Different companies tend to make different fits. I really like Fashion Bug but they closed all their stores that are near me.

It sounds like you got a very cute outfit which will make you more able to concentrate on your friend. Keep up the GREAT work, you are doing fine!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    just a thought, but if you have an old dress you like, you could always use some thread, a needle, or some pins and pull some of the extra fabric to the back, make a sort of pleat down your back and wear a sweater to cover it up. I've done this when I'm inbetween sizes. It could show off your new body and you can sort of customize the dress to fit you in all the right places. It shouldn't take any more than 15-20 mins or so.
  • Dian1701
    Dian1701 Posts: 16
    Options
    Go outside your comfort zone. Styles that looked good on you before, may not be right for you now. We don't loose our weight uniformly around our body. Go for styles that you never would have touched before. Try colors and combinations that, at first glance make you wince with the thought of you in them. You'd be surprised at what, a year ago, would have looked horrid on you, now flatters. Every size lost is an opportunity to reinvent your look. Embrace it.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Maybe to shake things up, when you're shopping pick up something from your old size and try it on before you try on your current size. Might make you feel better!

Very true! This happened to me this week. I was having trouble finding tank tops that looked good and I tried on a tank in my old size (XXL) because it was on clearance and I figured for 4.99 it would probably be fine. Boy was I wrong! It was so baggy you could see my bra at the sides even if I didn't lift my arms. I was so shocked! I thought for sure the difference between an XXL and an XL was only "felt" when the XL was too small -- not that the XXL would be truly so baggy it would look bad. It was quite the boost to my ego to be able to need to buy a smaller size for both comfort and because it looks better. That's never happened to me before because until now I've only gained weight, not lost it.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Birthday suit.