Christmas Challenge: Nazareth to Bethlehem (157 km)

Options

Replies

• izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yikes ... just finished my 157k on the bike for this week. That wouldn't have got done if there wasn't a challenge on. Away Monday, busy Tuesday, rain Wednesday, a freezing 40k ride Thursday .. shorter than planned but too miserable, a very hard 70k yesterday - head-on into the wind for the final 35k - and then a surprisingly perfect 47k this morning :-)
    Don't think I can make the next challenge. 60k a week running is a bit hard for my old body and I've realised with time and weather constraints 157k/wk cycling isn't quite the cinch I thought it was going to be.
    A novel idea this biblical pilgrimage. I cycled through Jordan in June, but our Israel and Sinai plans were thwarted by the Icelandic ash attack. Finally got to St Katherine at the base of Mt Sinai last month for a week of rock climbing. Easy to see how whoever got lost in the desert for 40 years did so ... a little more difficult to understand how they survived. A bleak place.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Got in 3 miles of intervals on the elliptical in 32 minutes:tongue: this morning! 18.5 miles to go!!!!!
  • vhuber
    Options
    WOW I am the last to have posted and it is a full day later!! Where are all of you? Hoping your trek is going well!!
    Today I did at least 3 miles on the elliptical, I say at least because the neighbor boy showed up to borrow something and I had to hop off and you lose your data, I hopped back on and compared the times, speeds and kept going . I am sure it was MORE than 3 but that is what I will put!! I now have 15.5 miles left!!
  • HidyleDidyle
    Options
    Well, I'm averaging only 2 km a day...I'd better pick up the pace otherwise I'll only be 1/2 way there! Good work everyone!
  • vhuber
    Options
    6 miles in 60 minutes on the elliptical while watching Oprah! Wow that was some fast leg movement!!:tongue::tongue: I have only 9.5 miles to go!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! What a great challenge! I wish I'd seen this thread sooner. But I've committed to a shred challenge and I think with just a month to go I think this would be too much on top. I'm difinitely bagging this for next year though! (I hope you don't mind)
  • vhuber
    Options
    WhooHoo I have 3.5 miles left after my butt kickin 6 mile elliptical cruise again today! Today I did it in LESS than 60 minutes!!!!
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    All you need to do is start a tally of the number of kilometers you have been travelling (by any means)

Dude. I'm totally riding a donkey for this one.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello, Traveiers!

With the holidays fast approaching, things have been hectic, and I haven't checked in... Congrats to all those who finished, and to those who finished and are "fleeing to Egypt!" Thanks, RaeNicoll, for coordinating the challenges.

I am on a steady pace and know I can make it to Bethlehem...

Happy Thanksgiving!

exercise.png
  • vhuber
    Options
    I'm sweaty,dusty and tired but I made it! Thank you Jesus!!!
    Did 4.5 on the elliptical!!
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm sweaty,dusty and tired but I made it! Thank you Jesus!!!
    Did 4.5 on the elliptical!!

Congrats!!!!
  • izobel
    Options
    A belated Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in America ... actually it should still be Thursday there and congratulations to those who have finished the challenge.

A tough day having just done a 60k ride to reach my 157ks for the week (busy over the w/e) and my only run of the week - 15k this morning. Run for the Cure 10k in Tokyo tomorrow though will get me closer to Bethlehem :-)

Important note -
    Running down mountains due to time constraints and fading light lead to an inability to walk for three days.
    Massive hangovers (this is the land of all-you-can-drink in two hours for ¥999 or about $11) really disrupt training plans!!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was out of town without internet last Wednesday so I'm updating today for the last two weeks. Another 25 miles down! 24.5 to go! Whoop!
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I just found this thread and am loving the idea of it. I have been having the WORST time trying to get cardio of any sort in since I started strength training and I think a challenge like this is just what is needed to get back on track. I think I can totally get this done before Christmas if I just stop being a slacker and do it. Maybe this is what I need to bust through the biggest plateau ever seen. And since tonight isn't a gym night, seems like a good time to start.

Travel on! Thanks for starting this challenge. (sorry I haven't read all 6 pages of the thread so if I need to know something important, beyond just getting off my butt and doing it, please let me know!)
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Haven't updated in a long time but have 23 miles down. Just got a $20 threadmill off of Craiglist yesterday so that should help as we have been covered in snow and just too cold to take the youngest out with me.
  • izobel
    Options
    Hi YarnPiggie - great name! I think many on this thread are done and have moved on to the next challenge, but I'm still here and it really is motivating. My ticker is for running which I've just about completed, but I'm also challenging 157k a week on the bike. This is harder with weather and time constraints than I imagined but checking in here does make me do it somehow. Good luck to you - 4 weeks to go!
  • izobel
    Options
    OK 157k run but unfortunately unlikely I will do my 157k riding this week. On 90k now, heading off for a long w/e and although taking the bike there is no way my husband will/can ride 67k tomorrow :-( Maybe I will try for 314 over two weeks.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    17.9 miles this week.....only 6.6 miles left to Bethlehem! I'll be there in a day or two! Whoop!
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Haven't checked in for awhile, but am still working on this challenge. Thanksgiving weekend threw me off schedule (too much family time, not enough walking time!), but I'm back on track to make it.

Hope everyone is doing well!

exercise.png
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    I haven't updated this at all and I fear I am going to have a hard time getting there on time to see the Baby but I shall try. I have biked and walked 9 miles. ouch! Seriously need to get moving if I am going to get there in the next 10 days! :-)