Why is anti-intellectualism so rampant?

Options

Replies

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Laziness. Easier to be told what to think, (FOX NEWS) than to think for your self.

Sigh. You become part if the problem when you think only one network is playing the role of corporate shill. They all play to a base with little regard for accuracy.

There is no real news from the networks anymore. And if they have you believing one is the fault and not others, you are mistaken.

+1

I was hoping I wasn't the only one to spot the irony of citing 'laziness' as a root cause and then not bothering to think beyond the 'one-network' rhetoric.

And yes, I would feel the same if MSNBC had been cited instead.

I have to admit that I feel better seeing some posts here alluding to the role a dishonest media play in the dumbing down of society - they have abrogated their responsibility to be the people's watchdog.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I thought it was cool to be a nerd these days...

In some corners it is cool, but in a lot of places, especially politics, intellectualism is called elitism. They act like being smart and educated is a bad thing.
    It depends on what kind of person you were before you became smart and educated. Being smart and educated isn't automatically a good thing if you're a bad person to begin with.

There is another brand of elitism that believes that a lack of formal education automatically renders a person ignorant and stupid. This group is highly educated and yet are ignorant. It's one of the more interesting examples of hypocrisy I've seen.

Yes on the last bit and I'll go further and say ignorant is treated as an insult when I don't think it is at all. I'm ignorant about a lot of things - those are just learning opportunities for me.

I think the problem lies in people who are certain they have the right answers, and are unwilling to even consider another solution. That's how we'll become stagnant as a society. This applies to everything from religion to politics to technology.

I think most people misuse the term ignorance in place of stupidity. I agree. There is nothing wrong with ignorance. All children are ignorant about most things. That's why we educate them. Most adults are ignorant about different things as well. It's just they were not exposed or taught about that particular thing. Ignorance is good in that it drives us to learn more.
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Ignorance can be cured . . . Stupidity is forever.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Laziness. Easier to be told what to think, (FOX NEWS) than to think for your self.

Sigh. You become part if the problem when you think only one network is playing the role of corporate shill. They all play to a base with little regard for accuracy.

There is no real news from the networks anymore. And if they have you believing one is the fault and not others, you are mistaken.

+1

I was hoping I wasn't the only one to spot the irony of citing 'laziness' as a root cause and then not bothering to think beyond the 'one-network' rhetoric.

I have to admit that I feel better seeing some posts here alluding to the role a dishonest media play in the dumbing down of society - they have abrogated their responsibility to be the people's watchdog.

But...but....but....I thought it was COOL to hate Fox News. Now what bandwagon do I jump on? :sad:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Learned something new today; sapiosexual. An intelligent mind sure is hot.

I was called a bookworm when growing up and it wasn't always a good thing apparently. But today I'm on my second Master's degree and keep craving more. Most former classmates have remained at Master's level and will never go any further education-wise. Sometimes in online discussions I feel like I shouldn't talk in positive terms about my background, because many don't seem to value school at all.

“The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.” - Mark Twain.

ETA
    For some reason it also feels like one shouldn't talk about stupidity in negative terms. Personally I can have a very difficult time with stupidity.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

+1

I'm throwing my yes in, too. I don't watch any news at all. If I hear about something via social media, I'm all over different sites with different views to try to form my opinion.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Being a nerd has nothing to do with being intelligent, well educated , or well informed.....

That's not entirely true - being a nerd is being intensely interested and educated about a topic that's generally considered non-mainstream. I'm a nerd :)

Just because it's not being highly educated about........the GDP, doesn't mean they aren't intelligent or intellectuals.

Maybe Americans have a different definition. Where I come from an " Intellectual " is someone who is generally well educated and well informed about more than one subject, non-main stream or not. Someone who just knows a lot about one topic is not considered and intellectual

Meriam Webster's definition of an intellectual :

of or relating to the ability to think in a logical way

: involving serious study and thought

of a person : smart and enjoying serious study and thought

which I would assume is applied to all levels of thought and study and not just on one topic.....:o).
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Who gets to decide who is stupid and who isn't?
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I believe it is VERY important to remember that Intelligence is very much based on the environment that you are in.
    For example:
    Lets take the two really old guys in "Swamp People". The brothers.
    Between them, they MIGHT form one complete sentence. If you put them in front of a computer and ask them to check email, they will probably not know how to even turn it on.
    We might think that they are stupid.
    However;
    If any one of us were stuck in the middle of the swamp and needed to survive for, lets say, three days, suddenly these two guys are brilliant.
    They have more knowlege of swamp survival then probably anyone on this board.
    Environment.

This is exactly one of the premises behind Jared Diamonds book and PBS documentary, "Guns, Germs & Steel" Doing his ornithology work (in Indonesia I believe) he noticed that these "primitives" who guided him through the jungle were just as smart as he was. Their intelligence was just focused on a different subject than his intelligence was. That's what started him on his journey to discover why some cultures dominated (Europeans) and advanced while others seemingly didn't.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I do
  • rollng_thundr
    rollng_thundr Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Squirrel!

backflipping-squirrel-o.gif
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Why so many big words???

They're dumbing down the SAT, then there won't be so many big words.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Being a nerd has nothing to do with being intelligent, well educated , or well informed.....

That's not entirely true - being a nerd is being intensely interested and educated about a topic that's generally considered non-mainstream. I'm a nerd :)

Just because it's not being highly educated about........the GDP, doesn't mean they aren't intelligent or intellectuals.

Maybe Americans have a different definition. Where I come from an " Intellectual " is someone who is generally well educated and well informed about more than one subject, non-main stream or not. Someone who just knows a lot about one topic is not considered and intellectual

Meriam Webster's definition of an intellectual :

of or relating to the ability to think in a logical way

: involving serious study and thought

of a person : smart and enjoying serious study and thought

which I would assume is applied to all levels of thought and study and not just on one topic.....:o).

Hmm, I don't agree that it's all areas of thought - I think people can be highly educated about certain things, ignorant about others and still be an intellectual. To me, it's the love of knowledge and the desire to seek it out constantly that makes one an intellectual - not the sum total of your knowledge. The definition is a little ambiguous IMO.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I do

When do I find out my results?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Being a geek has nothing to do with being intelligent, well educated or well informed. A nerd is Intelligent, well educated or well informed

Since I am a non-native speaker of English I just checked eight internet dictionaries and none of the definitions came even close to what you say. The common definition seems to imply that a nerd is rigid, anti- or non-social, single minded and only interested in the subject they are interested in and in nothing more.
    Could you lead me ( in the interest of improving my English ) to the source of your definition, please ?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

I'll stir the pot some more.

Can someone, who is considered intelligent, behave in a stupid way?
    I believe yes.
    "A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether or not to say it."
    People might be intelligent, but wisdom is a whole different matter.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I'll stir the pot some more.

Can someone, who is considered intelligent, behave in a stupid way?
    I believe yes.
    "A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether or not to say it."
    People might be intelligent, but wisdom is a whole different matter.

Totally. I'm pretty damned smart and I do/say stupid stuff alllllllll the time. It's a gift really. I can debate literary themes for hours, but I'm the girl who opens the garage door when the hatch of the SUV is open. Yep.

ETA: I'm still finding my inner wisdom.
  • the_great_beyond_
    the_great_beyond_ Posts: 157 Member
    Options

I do

When do I find out my results?

After you make 3 easy payments of 9.99 + s/h
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Being a geek has nothing to do with being intelligent, well educated or well informed. A nerd is Intelligent, well educated or well informed

Since I am a non-native speaker of English I just checked eight internet dictionaries and none of the definitions came even close to what you say. The common definition seems to imply that a nerd is rigid, anti- or non-social, single minded and only interested in the subject they are interested in and in nothing more.
    Could you lead me ( in the interest of improving my English ) to the source of your definition, please ?

I think the definitions of both are socially driven. I've always been a "nerd" - I'm a bookworm, quiet, introverted and smart. That's what a nerd was when I was a kid (and it was a bad thing), now it's the "in" thing and the definition is evolving - same with geek. And pretty much same as any term used to describe a subset of people as people change. Make sense?

Even though I identify as a nerd myself, to some people I may not be (I don't care either way).