Why is anti-intellectualism so rampant?

Options

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Being able to convey something in a concise way is sexy. Lol.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Great thread....check out the Ayn Rand movie or read her works for a different take on the whole 'capitalism sucks' spiel.

If you don't support Ayn Rand at 19 and reject her by the time you're 30, there's something wrong

I actually agree with you - in part because things have so radically changed from the market forces she was writing about. Nonetheless, it's important to understand all sides, and I think her approach to holding entrepreneurs/capitalists in such high regard still commands a high priority in our understanding of the dynamics at work in a society.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Then I am decidedly un-sexy. I'm verbose and even then rarely get my point across. Articulation is not my strong point.
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    OP is giving me a whole Otto from A Fish Called Wanda vibe....

"Apes don't read philosphy"
    "Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it. Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Otto. I looked them up. "

:heart:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Great thread....check out the Ayn Rand movie or read her works for a different take on the whole 'capitalism sucks' spiel.

If you don't support Ayn Rand at 19 and reject her by the time you're 30, there's something wrong

I actually agree with you - in part because things have so radically changed from the market forces she was writing about. Nonetheless, it's important to understand all sides, and I think her approach to holding entrepreneurs/capitalists in such high regard still commands a high priority in our understanding of the dynamics at work in a society.

I would generalize from her world view, which is one from a Marxist background who gazed in wonder at entrepreneurship at work, and say that I think the important thing is to recognize people who truly want to see results. It's just as important in entrepreneurship as it is in government and charity, all of which are equally important if we want to see society truly function.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

The only book of hers that I continue to hold in any regard is The Fountainhead because it is about the rights of a man to his own thoughts and creations (in that case, architecture). Atlas Shrugged reads like a mix between Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray with trains and copper mines instead of whips and red rooms of pain.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is smart.

However, intellect doesn't always win a debate...because debates also factor in emotions.

Gotta be careful mixing debate and emotion. Easy to fall into the logical fallacy called...appeal to emotion.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Because. You know. Murica. And stuff.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

The only book of hers that I continue to hold in any regard is The Fountainhead because it is about the rights of a man to his own thoughts and creations (in that case, architecture). Atlas Shrugged reads like a mix between Twilight and 50 Shades of Gray with trains and copper mines instead of whips and red rooms of pain.

The conservative/libertarian movement went wrong in the same place that every movement goes wrong, in thinking that you can replace virtue with ideology. There is no substitute for human virtue.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

Then I am decidedly un-sexy. I'm verbose and even then rarely get my point across. Articulation is not my strong point.

I'll join you in this one. I am the same way.
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    And another successful bait thread. Way to go OP!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't think being an intellectual means using polysyllabic words or tortured syntax.

It doesn't mean being able to spew out a lot of facts.

To me, it means being curious about other people's point of view, respecting individual and collective differences, being open to new perspectives.

I think what gives intellectualism a bad reputation is that it appears to be so egotistical and narrowminded.

The smartest people I know are the people who never have to impress me with how smart they are.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    I think everyone is smart.

However, intellect doesn't always win a debate...because debates also factor in emotions.

Gotta be careful mixing debate and emotion. Easy to fall into the logical fallacy called...appeal to emotion.

I'm guilty of this. It's because I only debate things I'm well educated about and generally I'm well educated about things I'm passionate about (feminism, poverty, social programs, etc) - so I do let emotion get in the way often. It's something I'm working hard on.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Kudos for recognising a pattern. Next step is to start working on it.

I ramble when I get going. It is a weakness that I sometimes truly despise in myself. I'm working on crystallising my point into a quickly read blurb, but when I'm tired and have to translate, the success rate is usually low. I remind myself that a long text might be more about my ego and less about readability.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Baited or not, I think it's a really good, respectful and intelligent conversation. So meh.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

it's a shame that you don't know the op
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Baited or not, I think it's a really good, respectful and intelligent conversation. So meh.
    I agree. We're on page 6 and nobody is in tears as far as I know.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options

I'd agree!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

Kudos for recognising a pattern. Next step is to start working on it.

I ramble when I get going. It is a weakness that I sometimes truly despise in myself. I'm working on crystallising my point into a quickly read blurb, but when I'm tired and have to translate, the success rate is usually low. I remind myself that a long text might be more about my ego and less about readability.

For me I feel like I'm often misunderstood (which, obviously is on me) so I go over the top trying to find anything that might be misinterpreted to explain it before someone gets pissy at me.

It's really sort of ridiculous.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nothing much to add to this conversation, and more here to keep up with the discussion than anything else, but I did always wonder why my fellow students found it so deeply and personally offensive when I did complete and hand in homework and assignments on time.

Hopefully this will shed some light.