Massive "shrimp cake" for under 300 cal!

Options
124»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this looks great!!

i think the 2 pans is probably a really good idea
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback!

I tinker a lot with healthy and interesting recipes, and this is, without a doubt, my favorite creation.

With regards to the pepper... Raw or roasted, doesn't matter. Roasted has more bite, but I've been doing raw lately just for simplicity.

With regards to Cajun seasoning. I do so very much enjoy what it adds... But a combo of pepper, cayenne, garlic, salt, etc can fill in well.

Flipping a big cake with a spatula is virtually impossible. I highly recommend either the double pan or smaller cakes.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yum!

Thx!
  • nyiballs
    Options
    Shrimp prices are up... Gonna try with ground turkey. Will let you know how it goes.
  • amybluehat
    amybluehat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    These sound great. I bet you could put leftover whatever meat in them and adjust the seasoning to fit the meat!
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!!! I need to try this!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yum!
  • MABEL733
    MABEL733 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try later.:)
  • mgleason01
    mgleason01 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This looks and sounds DELISH!!! I'm DEFINITELY going to try it!!!

Thank you OP for this!!
  • nyiballs
    Options
    Ground turkey version was good... Used salsa instead of pepper aoli sauce. But the shrimp version is still better.
  • meshamoo
    meshamoo Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    This looks so good... will have to try to make it in the near future, thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • happygirl556
    happygirl556 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump sounds wonderful
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Made these for me and the hubby tonight (with Old Bay instead of Cajun seasoning - I'm a Maryland girl at heart, gotta have Old Bay with my seafood!). My potatoes were a little bigger than I thought, so I added another 1 oz of shrimp and ended up using a little over a tablespoon of mayo, so mine came out to 333 calories each... Hubby said they were almost like shrimp and grits, only better. He approves.

Large salad on the side brought dinner to a total of 500 calories, and I'm stuffed. Thank you for the recipe. :)
  • nyiballs
    Options
    Im a Maryland boy and use old bay in it all the time. You're welcome!
  • prism1968
    prism1968 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Saving this for later, sounds (and looks) amazing!
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sounds good but 45 mins to an hour? The potatoes would be soup by then! Surely 20 mins is generally enough time to make mash?

Really depends on the potato and how hot the water is... Bottom line, you want to be able to mash the potato super easy, even with a fork.

You know, it's really funny. I always see recipes mentioning that it takes 20 minutes to boil potatoes for mashing... not in this house (heck, carrots either, they take close to one hour to be done!). Go figure.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sorry I messed up the quote...try cutting your potatoes into cubes. They are done when you can easily insert a fork. Timing depends on the size of the cube.