The Real Effect of Alcohol on your Waistline

Options
SaraTN
SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
OH SHIZNIT!! Not good news but useful news nonetheless.

From the Health Hound

As part of my commitment to staying current on the research,
I have sniffed out some research on alcohol consumption that
may surprise you.

A popular myth is that you can drink clear alcohol and as
long as you count the calories in the alcohol (7 calories
per gram) you will be fine. Because carbohydrates and
protein contain 4 calories per gram, and fat contains 9
calories per gram – the reasoning is that 7 calories in
alcohol are simply calories and nothing more.

Well, according to research carried in the American Journal
of Clinical Nutrition, alcohol puts the brakes on fat
metabolism (your body’s ability to burn fat as energy) in
more ways than one. In the study, eight people were given
two vodka drinks separated by 30 minutes.

Fat metabolism was checked both before and after each drink.
It turns out that even hours after drinking both drinks, fat
metabolism dropped by an incredible 73%. What is happening?

When you drink alcohol, your liver converts it into a
substance called acetate. (The acetate levels in the
subject’s bodies were 2.5 times higher than normal). And it
is the acetates in your body that make losing blubber almost
impossible.

Your body prefers burning acetate to all other sources of
fuel (fat being one of them), and basically shuts down its
normal process of burning off any other source of energy.

In other research, alcohol has been shown to increase
appetite. When you combine alcohol with meals, studies have
shown you tend to eat more. And since the alcohol is going
to serve as your body’s primary source of fuel, all the
calories go directly to your waistline.

And finally, alcohol increases your cortisol levels and
decreases your testosterone levels for about 24 hours after
you imbibe. And this definitely is not good for trimming
down or adding muscle!

So, if you think an alcohol calorie is just a calorie –
think again!

Replies

• kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    YIKES!!!!
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.
    I have always suspected that there was something going on when I'd had a drink or two but not gone over cals but still didn't lose what I thought I might despite all other things being equal.
    Probably isn't going to stop me enjoying a couple of glasses of wine a couple of times a week but is a good thing to know - guess I'll just have to zumba a bit harder tomorrow!

x
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I should really keep this taped next my i.d. next time I'm out at a bar! :wink:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, these are all the conclusions I came to as well after I did a lot of study on alcohol and the human metabolism. This doesn't even mention the fact that alcohol is considered a poison by the body and thus given priority access to your liver, which in turn, works extra hard to remove it (by converting it), which stresses your liver, which, over time can destroy your liver. And of course that alcohol kills brain cells. All secondary in this context, but still important to know none the less.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I've seen several studies recently showing that people who have a moderate amount of alcohol (1 per day for women and 2 for men) have lower BMIs in general than people who don't drink at all or drink less than 1 or 2 per day.

Just sayin'.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    While I'm sure this is probably accurate, 8 people is a pathetic test-group size, and without a control group present, is highly suspect from a scientific standpoint.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leprechaun. LOL

Oh well. A drink or two once in a blue moon won't hurt...considering I may have a drink about once every couple of months, I think I will survive. :)
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Moderate consumption is okay. I do agree with the eating part.
  • healthcounts
    Options
    Amen! thank you for the info. The liver does alot of work and keeping it clear of added work is valuable to our over all health. Don't get me wrong, I like a drink every once in a while. I have a good friend that is recovering from a masectomy and her dr. made it clear, "you drink alocohol it will slow your recovery." She has been faithful to her recovery and is doing amazing. I have read that our bodies are always detoxing and we have a tendency to interfer with it. When we eat clean whole foods and enjoy the natural state of food our bodies heal faster! I think since I started juicing vegetables with fresh ginger root and having small amounts of organic fruit with raw nuts for snacks I see a huge improvement in the way I feel and look! Whole foods are a wonderful formula and the weightloss is happening. Alcohol, caffeine, refined sugar and all syntetic ( processed) fats are to be eaten in trace amounts as much as possible.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is really interesting and will have an affect on what I do this Halloween weekend! Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I've seen several studies recently showing that people who have a moderate amount of alcohol (1 per day for women and 2 for men) have lower BMIs in general than people who don't drink at all or drink less than 1 or 2 per day.

Just sayin'.

I've seen quite a few studies like this. The results are mostly anecdotal though. Besides the fact that BMI isn't a good measure of individual health (BMI was originally designed as a macro measurement of large groups, and never meant to be applied to individuals), most of the "positive" effects of alcohol swim around wine. Wine, because of it's origins, has some antioxidant properties (grapes) which can be beneficial to people with some types of cancer, CAD, and arterial plaque. Considering that you can get your antioxidants from many more healthy ways (such as blueberries or acacia berries for instance), using antioxidant properties as a reason to drink is pretty thin IMHO.

don't get me wrong, I'm not against having a drink or two, it's not the worst habit in the world, and won't make you gain weight on it's own, but lets not confuse ourselves into thinking that 1 drink is a net plus, at best it's about even (balancing out the alcohol's affect against the antioxidant properties of wine that is), and the more you drink at any one time, the bigger of a negative it becomes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

(For the record, if I have one drink in a month, that's a lot *for me*, so I'm not looking for an excuse to indulge. Just pointing out that there are a lot of studies refuting what's been said in this thread.)
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Forwarded it to my mom who thinks alcohol has NO relationship to weight!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholAndHealth.html

(For the record, if I have one drink in a month, that's a lot *for me*, so I'm not looking for an excuse to indulge. Just pointing out that there are a lot of studies refuting what's been said in this thread.)

But that's my point. If you read this review, it's very anecdotal. Almost all of these research trials talk about moderate vs either abstinace or heavy drinking. but think about it logically, you can't say this is because of the alcohol, it's just as telling to the type of lifestyle they lead as anything else.

For instance. I could make the following perfectly relevant line of reasoning:

Stress is a major reason for people dying young.
    People who abstain from drinking are overly anxious about their health and therefor have higher psychological stress levels causing higher cortisol release and earlier systemic failures.
    People who drink to excess do major system damage to their liver, kidneys, brain, and heart, thereby causing earlier systemic failure.
    People who drink moderately are usually involved in more socially casual situations, have a higher friend ratio and less external stressors. Also the lack of extreme behavior also is an indicator of a more balanced psyche. These two facts show that leading a life of low stress (both physical and emotional) is a possible reason for longer life.

See what I mean? It's anecdotal. Unless you can rule out all the other factors that could be contributing, they are just speculating based on averages without taking into account all the possible factors. Unless they could have a long term study done by 2 groups of a sufficient amount of participants to avoid outliers in a controlled environment, you can't really take anything in that article as more than interesting possibilities. In other words, it could be a factor in living a longer, healthier life, but nothing has been found bio-chemically yet to support those kind of conclusions, until their is, it's just interesting observational science.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    [Read in non-defensive tone] I did not do my usual confirm/fact checking on the information but it made "common" sense to me along with my general knowlege regarding the effects of alcohol on the body. It is a simple nonclinical explination/article I posted for those who may be in some sort of "denial" regarding calories and the way the body processes them. While a calorie is a calorie not all calories are processed the same way. With the holiday season approaching and a time of overindulgence in food and spirits I thought it may "help" some people with their choices.

If you review my food diary you will see that I engage in my fair share of wine consumption and like everything else... moderation is key. [But I'm and Irish Catholic girl (and a foodie) so what do I know about moderation! :drinker: :laugh: ] I can say that since I have been more cognizant of my food and alcohol choices the few times I have that extra glass of wine my body makes me "pay" the next day and the more fit I become the easier it is to stick with one or two and then switch to seltzer water.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    exactly why I quit drinking my copious amounts of vodka and wine when I started this. I had 2 beers last weekend but that was no where NEAR what I normally would have had. I am going to a club for the first time since beginning this journey on Sunday night. Should be interesting but I think I will stick with 1 glass of wine and that's it.

Thanks for posting Sara!
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I can say that since I have been more cognizant of my food and alcohol choices the few times I have that extra glass of wine my body makes me "pay" the next day and the more fit I become the easier it is to stick with one or two and then switch to seltzer water.
    I have to say that this seems to be true for me too - and yes I guess that is anecdotal for you.

For the occasions that i have wine - generally once or twice a week I have bought a 250 ml wine carafe. I pour my wine from the bottle into it - generally I fill it to 175 but occasionally to 250, and from there into my small wine glass (at home, I've not reached Lady GaGa obsession by taking it everywhere yet). Its a mind trick that helps me as I am drinking the whole of something rather than less of a bigger amount. I realise that others will find this odd but it works for me. And no, when it is finished I don't go and refill it - I tend to get up and put carafe and glass straight into the dishwashing.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Lucky you have me cracking up. I definitely notice a difference between when I do not drink at all and when I drink even if I count the calories. My body does way better with no alcohol when trying to lose.