Replies

• SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Whatever works... go with it!
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    WOW what an awesome post, thank you! I came to post a question regarding alcohol and weight loss and this totally answered my question in simple, direct terms that makes perfect sense to me!

Plus I am in nursing school and doing a mental health rotation this semester (which includes substance abuse) and my professor has made it clear that alcohol is completely toxic to our bodies and that it can really only breakdown 3/4 of an ounce of alcohol and hour. Anything over that is literally poisoning us. God, makes me think of all the damage I've done in the past....especially my twenties :drinker:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    BAH! I'm healthy as a horse and drink 2-3 drinks once or twice a week. Some of these studies can be a BIT much. Although now I have been switching to red wine for the health benefits. :)
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have also seen some evidence that suggests moderate alcohol consumption improves insulin sensitivity. That could result in improved glucose uptake and discourage fat storage..So it is possible that moderate alcohol consumption has a favorable effect on nutrient partitioning.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing "Sober November" and we're not drinking anything this month to detox and see just how much weight we'll drop (in conjunction with eating healthier and exercising.)
  • Pitterpatter
    Pitterpatter Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sober November sounds like a fantastic idea!!! i think i'll bring this up to my husband!!!
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump... just want to have this in my topics ...good thread
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    This is so upsetting... I know I should cut back on my drinking (which is pretty infrequent as is) but... blaaaah.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    73% is pretty scary! I am normally a beer a night kinda gal, but only consuming Friday/ Saturday/ Sunday s now while I'm reaching my fitness goal, I hope to get down to just saturdays' then none at all ... I just have so many nice fancy wine glasses! haha

But yes what it does to your metabolism is criminal!
  • rockonerin
    Options
    i'm definitely keeping the link to this. it freaking SUCKS (like, a lot) but it'll be helpful for me to read this from time to time.

hrmph :grumble:
  • tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've actually still manged to lose weight while drinking (merlot) red wine. I do have to agree that alcholo increases you inhibitions and will cause you to binge eat so the trick not to snack if you can help it.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I hear beer has female hormones too.

I think that's true because the more I drink... the more I talk about random feelings, and the worse my driving gets.

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it! I take it back... pretend I didn't say anything. Please don't hit me.
  • jackalope28
    jackalope28 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is a good reminder - my biggest struggle with weight loss historically has been cutting out the wine. Thanks for the motivation to keep wine to a minimum!!

3865075.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I hear beer has female hormones too.

I think that's true because the more I drink... the more I talk about random feelings, and the worse my driving gets.

I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I couldn't help it! I take it back... pretend I didn't say anything. Please don't hit me.

LOL
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Kind of confirms what I intuitively knew already.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    The effect of alcohol on your waistline (i.e. slowing the metabolism) has been documented for a long, long, long time. I'm amazed more people don't know this. I don't care how many studies say "a drink or two is good for you". Not having any at all is even better for you.
  • CarmenElisa
    Options
    I believe alcohol is pure sugar. Can't say I've heard much good news about sugar lately. I know a lot of people who enjoy themselves without alcohol. It is a mindset they have. They go to clubs, dance, have fun. I believe that the marketers will never let us believe that alcohol is bad!
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    I believe alcohol is pure sugar. Can't say I've heard much good news about sugar lately. I know a lot of people who enjoy themselves without alcohol. It is a mindset they have. They go to clubs, dance, have fun. I believe that the marketers will never let us believe that alcohol is bad!

Alcohol is closer to gasoline than it is sugar, but both do contain high levels of energy that are easily digested.

Personally, it doesn't really matter to me in what order my body burns its caloric intake, but good luck counting calories when you are plastered =3
  • dianam1973
    Options
    bump
  • JustAnotherBob
    Options
    My husband and I are doing "Sober November" and we're not drinking anything this month to detox and see just how much weight we'll drop (in conjunction with eating healthier and exercising.)

We always pick February - the shortest month :drinker: