Calorie deficit not the answer?

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

I think the bigger issue is when people constantly chime in and give opinions on subjects they clearly don't understand.

Or when people fly off the handle because they think they've read something that they haven't. I'm pretty sure, however, that people are allowed to "chime in" all they want to, as these are open forums. As long as the participants are respectful of each other and follow the community rules, then I see no problem in disagreements.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Not sure if eating more frequently will help your weight loss but it is easier on your bodies insulin/glucagon and adrenal hormones. It's harder to regulate blood sugar when you fast and then eat a huge meal everyday. I think it also raised cortisol which is death to weight loss, not to mention very bad for everything.

Really can you tell me more? I'm always interested in a good story.. studies would be nice especially on the death to weight loss
    Yes, I second this.
  • confetticupcake
    Options
    I think the bigger issue is when people constantly chime in and give opinions on subjects they clearly don't understand.

Finally we found something to agree on!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I saw this linked in another thread, and I was amazed at the answers! The reasons you aren't losing weight might shock you.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Love it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I don't gain or lose...I'm 6'1" and 230lbs and estimate eating 1500 calls per day... lifestyle is sitting behind a desk in home office.

You're eating a lot more than 1500 calories/day.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

You're taking this conversation into a "people are so rude" argument. I have no desire to get on that subject as it's been beaten to death and I'm the last one to care when people cry "you're so mean".

You're entitled to give your opinion. As much as you want. And many people here will show you resistance when the opinions make no sense or a flat out wrong.

And yet you're the one continuing to beat the dead horse without giving any reasoning for your actions. Admit it--you were wrong and I did not say what you thought I said. By the way, the forum RULES say no drama--and guess who created drama with personal attacks? Disagree with me all you want, but if you think I make no sense, say why you believe that, not why you think I'm stupid.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

You said the 2 had similarities of ED, I disagree. I don't think setting caloric intake and macronutrient goals while training to reach out set out health and body composition mission is a form of ED. If it was then basically MFP is set up to promote ED development in people not suffering from it?

Not once did I call you stupid. So don't go there.

I never once said that setting caloric intake and macronutrient goals was a form of ED. The idea of fasting all day and then eating in what appears to be an out of control fashion is what I was comparing to the idea of an ED, since both employ rigid control over one's body and are outside the norm of "regular" eating.

Soooo . . . you're wrong. You jumped off the handle and took offense at something that I never said. You made an assumption and flipped out instead of asking for clarification--and you were WRONG.

Apology accepted.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    \
    Also starving all day and then eating one meal, it is very likely you are eating more than 1500 in one sitting. After not eating all day you will be ravenously hungry and when you start eat it'll be hard to stop eating.

Start eating breakfast and lunch. Eat a smaller dinner. Your metabolism will be faster & you'll feel better.

No...just no.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    butthurt_report_form.jpg
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Wow Adam. Very helpful. And so on-topic, too. However, did you come up with all that research to support your argument? :wink:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    I never said either way of eating was superior, only that yours deviated from the norm. That being said, I honestly do not think it's sustainable over your lifetime and it might better serve you to learn more ordinary manners of eating so that you can do so and maintain health when you are forced to change (elderly people have many eating issues due to a reduction in senses and normal body functions--not saying that you'll be elderly soon, though, since I don't know you or your age. :) ). It is possible to eat dessert and still eat three meals/day.

What "norm"? You do realize that "three meals a day" is a cultural norm in some places, and is based off of a social construct, not any kind of biological imperative?

Meal timing shifts depending where you live and how you live, and plenty of people have survived, and thrived, not eating "three meals a day".
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    I never said either way of eating was superior, only that yours deviated from the norm. That being said, I honestly do not think it's sustainable over your lifetime and it might better serve you to learn more ordinary manners of eating so that you can do so and maintain health when you are forced to change (elderly people have many eating issues due to a reduction in senses and normal body functions--not saying that you'll be elderly soon, though, since I don't know you or your age. :) ). It is possible to eat dessert and still eat three meals/day.

What "norm"? You do realize that "three meals a day" is a cultural norm in some places, and is based off of a social construct, not any kind of biological imperative?

Meal timing shifts depending where you live and how you live, and plenty of people have survived, and thrived, not eating "three meals a day".

Now you're just cherry-picking. Did you see what I wrote later in the thread? But yeah . . . eating on a more regular basis (and I never said three meals were an imperative) helps keep the blood sugar on a more constant basis and provides the body with a more constant supply of food. There's a reason the food we digest travels through our guts at the pace it does and it's not because we're supposed to eat one meal a day. Heck, even my dogs benefit from getting more than just one meal a day, such as when they get their meal and then training treats or snacks with me.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It was surprising how I had no idea how many calories I was really eating until I started tracking. Serving sizes changed everything. I tried clean eating for 3 weeks, thinking it would help, but it didn't because I wasn't limiting how much clean food I ate.

Unless you're accurately tracking, you can't know anything for sure. Maybe you should give it a shot.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

I practice IF and target specific calorie and macronutrient goals. ED, not once.

And who's to say what's norm?

Oh, please. Now you're just grasping at straws for things to argue with me about. Just apologize for making assumptions and move on.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Not sure if eating more frequently will help your weight loss but it is easier on your bodies insulin/glucagon and adrenal hormones. It's harder to regulate blood sugar when you fast and then eat a huge meal everyday.

Where in the world are you getting that information from? Sources for both claims please.
    I think it also raised cortisol which is death to weight loss, not to mention very bad for everything.

You do know one of the most significant producers of cortisol is aerobic activity right? Running, biking, etc...
    I'm looking for some journal articles on fasting and insulin. I'm just basing this on an MS in nutrition, MS in Animal Science and a DO medical degree. 13 years of college and 4 years of residency. I'm not an endocrinologist so it may be possible that I don't fully understand insulin and glycogen responses. I've been to a lot of CMEs about diabetes and care for quite lot of diabetics, especially Native Americans. I'll find some sources in the morning.

Actually, you're incorrect about cortisol:
    EFFECT OF MUSCULAR EXERCISE ON THE PLASMA LEVEL OF CORTISOL IN MAN
    A. Cornil, A. De Coster, G. Copinschi and J. R. M. Franckson
    ABSTRACT

Intense muscular exercise performed on a bicycle ergometer by untrained normal men is accompanied by a significant fall in the plasma cortisol level. This observation suggests an increased utilization or diffusion of cortisol during exercise.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options

Now you're just cherry-picking. Did you see what I wrote later in the thread? But yeah . . . eating on a more regular basis (and I never said three meals were an imperative) helps keep the blood sugar on a more constant basis and provides the body with a more constant supply of food. There's a reason the food we digest travels through our guts at the pace it does and it's not because we're supposed to eat one meal a day. Heck, even my dogs benefit from getting more than just one meal a day, such as when they get their meal and then training treats or snacks with me.

There is no "regular basis" is the point.

The human body is incredibly adaptable. "Regularity" in meal timing has no set biological imperative whatsoever. Millions of people have, and still do, thrive on eating only one large meal a day.

You're confusing societal norms with physiological needs. They aren't the same thing.