Options
13»

Replies

• VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    [/quote] what about soy being a goitrogen
    [/quote]

There are many goitrogens and they all have a very small effect on iodine uptake. If you have low iodine, that would be the first step to correct any thyroid issues. BTW, this is a very common issue because our farming has depleted out soil of iodine and most people are deficient since table salt has been put on the "avoid" list. Kelp is a great source of iodine without all the sodium. Or you can always supplement.

If you are at risk of developing a goiter, then goitrogens might need to be avoided. But very often, a correction of low iodine is sufficient to get the thyroid working properly. 9 out of 10 goiters are from iodine deficiency.
  • seashel812
    seashel812 Posts: 25
    Options
    what about soy being a goitrogen
    [/quote]

There are many goitrogens and they all have a very small effect on iodine uptake. If you have low iodine, that would be the first step to correct any thyroid issues. BTW, this is a very common issue because our farming has depleted out soil of iodine and most people are deficient since table salt has been put on the "avoid" list. Kelp is a great source of iodine without all the sodium. Or you can always supplement.

If you are at risk of developing a goiter, then goitrogens might need to be avoided. But very often, a correction of low iodine is sufficient to get the thyroid working properly. 9 out of 10 goiters are from iodine deficiency.
    [/quote] It's seems there is a lot of controversy regarding soy with one person saying one thing and another person saying something entirely different lol. There was a vegetarian coworker who ate a lot of soy and she started having thyroid problems...I don't know if that is connected but I just remember hearing how it's bad for your thyroid
  • rushmama5
    rushmama5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think protein guidelines are inflated. Loren Lockman helped me understand about food
    combining and optimal absorption. He's a bit too thin for me( he's into water fasting too)
    but I did find I could use some of his info. My energy and digestion has been awesome since
    learning this stuff. His methods are different from mainstream vegan perhaps. beans have to
    be cooked so you loose enzymes and we don't digest em raw, right? Same with grains. They're
    both acid forming (like hamburger) but you can eat them sprouted with optimal digestion. If you
    get swings and feel starved for protein,perhaps digestion could be enhanced? Also- given the
    right stuff the body can make protein(from leaves and nuts etc. not beans and rice)Oh wow I
    sound like a know-it-all, sorry. Hope something was helpful
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is wonderful. Have you tried nutritional yeast? It's pretty high in protein, and makes a great creamy sauce. Good for the quinoa!
  • rushmama5
    Options
    I did tons of soy for awhile and had noticeable breast tenderness. Did some research; edema me
    or also soy milk made with whole soy beans seems to be a better choice and in moderation. I
    read that the natural estrogens are too readily accessible when the beans are made into "soy protein isolate"
    Don't know effects on other gender or other aged people. I am coming to think that the best is raw, whole food.
    Now I grow my own soy beans!
  • rushmama5
    Options
    So glad you covered this! Word needs to get out about it. Protein needs take care of themselves when digestion is OPTIMAL.
    You can even eat a meal of just one thing. May sound boring but your body wakens to the clarity of it. Its kind of hard to express.
    but your body is so amazing it sends everything you need to fully utilize the one thing,but send it a mix and there is some scrambling, waste and storage(fat) even possibly with "healthy foods" if combined poorly. I don't know if this helps any. I saw a
    cool quote today "we are all just walking each other home"
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Soy: GMO soy is bad. GMO anything is bad. Soy is extremely healthful. There has never been ANY link to soy and breast cancer or any cancer at all. If anything, soy is protective against cancer. If you are worried about the phytoestrogens in soy, you shouldn't eat any beans, most nuts and seeds, carrots, onions, broccoli, or even beer. The war against soy is propaganda from the meat and dairy industry because an increase in soy consumption caused soy prices to increase which made it more expensive to feed to cows, and soy was also being used to replaced many meat and dairy products.

And dairy contains REAL estrogen and has been strongly linked to cancer growth, but people will chose dairy over soy. This is the power of propaganda.

Do you have any sources for the studies that found that soy is protective against cancer? I eat soy by the bucketful and constantly hear all sorts of nonsense about it. I've long since dismissed the ridiculous phytoestrogen paranoia but I haven't found anything conclusive about cancer, so I've been more or less neutral about it.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    Soy: GMO soy is bad. GMO anything is bad. Soy is extremely healthful. There has never been ANY link to soy and breast cancer or any cancer at all. If anything, soy is protective against cancer. If you are worried about the phytoestrogens in soy, you shouldn't eat any beans, most nuts and seeds, carrots, onions, broccoli, or even beer. The war against soy is propaganda from the meat and dairy industry because an increase in soy consumption caused soy prices to increase which made it more expensive to feed to cows, and soy was also being used to replaced many meat and dairy products.

And dairy contains REAL estrogen and has been strongly linked to cancer growth, but people will chose dairy over soy. This is the power of propaganda.

Do you have any sources for the studies that found that soy is protective against cancer? I eat soy by the bucketful and constantly hear all sorts of nonsense about it. I've long since dismissed the ridiculous phytoestrogen paranoia but I haven't found anything conclusive about cancer, so I've been more or less neutral about it.

Here is one about isolates which, ironically, are the most demonized soy product.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15798082
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Yeah...soy is out on a regular basis, as there is breast cancer in my family history, so I eat it sparingly. I have a protein powder that I like...Juvo...but I just don't want a shake every day. I often like a warm breakfast, and my lunches and dinners are often brought and eaten during my work day (I have an odd schedule) so a shake during mid-day doesn't always work.
    I'm allergic to wheat, and can only eat it on a rare occasion, so Seitan is out, as are a lot of the bars that have a higher protein content, as they usually contain wheat, spy, or peanuts
    I wish Lenny and Larry's would make those brownies and cookies gluten free, as they are tasty.

I use casher butter or sunflower butter, but they are so high in fat, I eat them sparingly (try for no more than 1 serving a day) because I like avocados and coconut oil and prefer to get my fats that way.

I do eat almonds every day. Again, really trying to keep my fats in check, so I don't want to overdue the nuts either.

I was just going to say that eating too much soy can be a major health issue.

I know, I'm difficult. Try being me. haha

I was just going to say that eating too much soy can be a major health issue.
  • thezzz
    thezzz Posts: 14
    Options
    So glad you covered this! Word needs to get out about it. Protein needs take care of themselves when digestion is OPTIMAL.
    You can even eat a meal of just one thing. May sound boring but your body wakens to the clarity of it. Its kind of hard to express.
    but your body is so amazing it sends everything you need to fully utilize the one thing,but send it a mix and there is some scrambling, waste and storage(fat) even possibly with "healthy foods" if combined poorly. I don't know if this helps any. I saw a
    cool quote today "we are all just walking each other home"

Thank you for justifying my meals that consist off a bunch of asparagus sprinkled with nutritional yeast.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Here is one about isolates which, ironically, are the most demonized soy product.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15798082

Thank you! Interesting to see that it really does seem more likely to be protective. There's a lot of misinformation about soy so I'll have to show this to the next person who inevitably brings it up.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    A plant-based diet in general has been demonized by the meat, dairy, and egg industries. This is why so many people on this board are overweight, unhealthy, and can't stop talking about a LCHF diet and how great it is despite the fact that they are destroying their long term health for a little weight loss, of which they have a very high probability of gaining back.

The euphoria from ketosis makes people think they are doing their body good, but as Doug Lisle explains in "The Pleasure Trap", what feels good in modern society is very likely bad for us. If you don't know what I am taking about, here is a Ted Talk video of him explaining humans addiction to food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2btaDOBK8

The truth of it is that if you can make people feel good while continuing with most of their bad habits, you can sell a ton of books. If you tell most people they actually have to work at becoming healthy and it won't be easy, they call you a quack and go shove their faces full of animal flesh while taking a bunch of pills, and watching TV. I am a nutritionist and personal trainer, and it is so incredibly hard to break through this brainwashing.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Ignore protein. It is the biggest myth in all of nutrition. It is near impossible to not get enough protein if you are getting enough calories.

A human baby will grow 300% in its first two years of life consuming only mothers milk. Human breast milk is around 4.5% protein by calories. Never in your life will you need more protein then in your first two years of life.

In summer, I eat almost entirely raw fruits and vegetables. My protein intake is usually 7% or 8% by calories and it is very difficult to get anything less than this unless you really try hard. I weigh 190 pounds and I am 5'10" I have around 13-14% body fat. I have no problem at all putting on and keeping muscle.

I am a vegan nutritionist, and I am always given supplements and protein powders to try. I have tried dozens upon dozens and I have seen no difference at all in body composition. I only notice that I run out of energy quicker because I am substituting carbs for protein.

I have yet to see any studies that support a need for more protein in any human beyond that which is in a whole-foods, plant-based diet.

^This!

OK, maybe late to answer, but I totally agree with you. I got demolished last week for posting something very similar and everyone had their 2 cents, especially non-vegetarians/vegans. it was all vegan propaganda - so they said.

Seriously, there are plenty of vegan/vegetarian successful athletes out there that build and retain loads of lean mass. This website is a wonderful source of information as far a vegetarian athletes go:

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-diet-athletes/

I add hemp protein to my breakfast smoothie and with good mix of nuts and sheep/ goat cheese (on occasion as I am intolerant to bovine protein in general) I always manage to fit in at least 57-70 grams a day.

*Edited as I answered in the quoted box :embarassed: *