Diet Soda (Waist size, bloated, clothes, etc!)

Options

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Do You/Your:
    - Get Bloated
    - Face Look puffy
    - pants fit tighter
    - find it hard to lose weight

No
    No
    No
    No

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?

Nothing. I switched to coffee sweetened with saccharin, so I doubt any noticeable difference would occur anyway. I do get caffeine headaches sometimes though, and did also with Diet Coke.

As far as boogeymen, I heard on the interwebz that there is fluoride in the water. Gubment trying to poison us all cuz of reasons. Stay away from water.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are usually sweetened with aspartame which is a poison in the body.

Cote your sources please, otherwise assertions like this are nothing but hyperbole.
    I was hooked to diet coke about 9 years ago. I had things like acne, bloating, jaw pain, etc. I quit diet soda (and ALL aspartame) and felt better in 3 days. Acne went away within the month.

Well, just because this is true for you does not mean it's true for all people. You have taken a generalization based on your experience and projected it onto society as a whole.

Anything in excess is probably not good for a person, everything in moderation, except which you are intolerant or sensitive to or have a medical restriction to, is just fine.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I was hooked to diet coke about 9 years ago. I had things like acne, bloating, jaw pain, etc. I quit diet soda (and ALL aspartame) and felt better in 3 days. Acne went away within the month.

Drink water and have a real soda once in a while.

Yeah with me it gradually started causing migraines, muscle tremors, skin lesions, stomach/digestive issues among others. Splenda effects me also.

So I have to say avoid, but most people probably don't have issues.

I have to wonder though how many people have health issues they're treating and the actual underlying cause is consuming this stuff.
  • shiningstar93
    shiningstar93 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try not to drink soda at all. But I do have a diet one every now and then. If I am really wanting soda, I go get zevia. It's no calorie, less sodium than diet drinks and made with stevia which is plant based sweetener.
  • smantha32
    Options

I drink Zevia sodas, which are caffeine free, and I don't have any problem with water retention.

I drink them too in moderation. I think they taste just like diet sodas.

spelling. ugh
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    No, to all of it.

I did stop for awhile just because but I didn't notice any difference.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    No to every question. I've been addicted to diet Pepsi for 20+ years. Never drink the real stuff and have managed to put on 70+ lbs over the years. I thought it gave me carb cravings. When I started MFP I dropped to one can per day and drank more water. I've fallen off the wagon lately and am drinking more and more each day. But not gaining weight. So I don't find a correlation with diet drinks and weight loss... For me anyway. I just wasn't watching my food intake before like I am now.

Now the aspartame/ caramel colouring debate has me a bit concerned about cancer and other illnesses, but there has been NO solid facts to confirm its that kind of toxic. (I'm still here', and healthiest I've been my whole adult life) and it's not banned. I try to cut back, and hopefully will not go back to drinking the huge amounts I used to for so many years.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    So I wanna start this thread to share your experience with diet sodas!

Do You/Your:
    - Get Bloated
    - Face Look puffy
    - pants fit tighter
    - find it hard to lose weight

What happened when you decreased amount or quit?
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Nothing happened.
  • Juliebug33
    Juliebug33 Posts: 15
    Options

mf-130103-2723309569227585536.jpg

LMAO! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I can't remember the last time I went a day without drinking at least one diet soda. It may have been when I was pregnant with my last kid 7 years ago unless there was a day I was too sick to move sometime between then and now. I don't have any problems due to my daily drinking of diet soda. I'm sure there are people who are sensitive to one or more of the ingredients that makes diet soda, but I still eat peanut butter and there are a lot of people who are sensitive to that too. What is true for some people isn't necessarily true for everyone.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking diet soda's since Tab came out. I have never had any problems with it. Real soda's taste weird to me now. The sugar in them are a nuisance--make people gain weight who drink a lot of them, and if you're into either losing or maintaining your weight--and just have got to have a soda--diet soda's are really your only choice.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Yeah with me it gradually started causing migraines, muscle tremors, skin lesions, stomach/digestive issues among others. Splenda effects me also.

I have to wonder though how many people have health issues they're treating and the actual underlying cause is consuming this stuff.

I wonder how many people have undiagnosed diseases that they treat by quitting soda, which isn't the underlying cause. It would be a bummer to be them.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I wonder how many people have undiagnosed diseases that they treat by quitting soda, which isn't the underlying cause. It would be a bummer to be them.

this. same with gluten insensitivity...(walking casually away from thread)
  • jammerg55
    jammerg55 Posts: 8
    Options
    I tend to stay away from aspartame infused drinks 1) because they taste bad 2) aspartame poisoning is a real problem especially for people that drink a lot of it.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/

I limit myself to 1 real sugar soda per day, if my weight changes much I limit myself to 1 every few days and it generally settles back down. I have drunk Splenda infused Coke as a not-so-bad tasting alternative. Anything that has a lot of air or gas in it can occasionally cause bloating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from aspartame infused drinks 1) because they taste bad 2) aspartame poisoning is a real problem especially for people that drink a lot of it.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

I limit myself to 1 real sugar soda per day, if my weight changes much I limit myself to 1 every few days and it generally settles back down. I have drunk Splenda infused Coke as a not-so-bad tasting alternative. Anything that has a lot of air or gas in it can occasionally cause bloating.
    Using biased articles that aren't peer reviewed clinical study doesn't warrant the aspartame poisoning exists. If as you say it's a real poisoning problem, then there would be cases of it in the American Association of Poison Control Centers and there are no such reports. Scare mongering shouldn't be the tactic that opposers should use, but rather some good concrete clinical studies to refute.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SLLRunner
    Options

I drink Zevia sodas, which are caffeine free, and I don't have any problem with water retention.

I drink them too in moderation. I think they taste just like diet sodas.

spelling. ugh
    I drink the cream soda and the ginger beer because neither has caffeine. I stay away from sodas and coffees with caffeine because of my issues with it. Also, caffeine causes flare ups in my acid reflux disease. That's no fun.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

i really would not believe everything you read on the internet. Those websites are biased.

The first is by someone who created an aspartame detox program, and her books are blatantly displayed with links to Amazon. Besides, where are her peer reviewed citations from legitimate sources?

The second article said "page not found" but, boy, are there plenty of "miracle" products available!

Finally, the third link is to "Aspartame Toxicity Info Center," which indicates bias right away. There are articles provided, which I'm sure supports this websites bias.
  • smantha32
    Options

Well almost nobody seems to consider artificial sugar as a problem to consider in health issues, so I doubt your mythical person has to worry. :smile:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I used to drink (3) 24-oz. of Diet Pepsi a day and lost 42 lbs. because I kept on track with my calorie deficiency. Now, I drink more water than diet soda because the caffeine keeps me up at night and a girl needs her beauty rest. I still drink Diet Pepsi and don't have any plans to give it up because fear mongering doesn't work on me.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Bottom line. Normal soda or diet soda, fit it into your calories....drink it or don't. Doesn't matter.