why are carbs so bad

Options
12346»

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Remember guys carbs have four cals per gram just like protein. Fat has nine per gram. So saying carbs have alot of cals doesnt really make sense.

It is for the micro nutrient return on some junk foods.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad - in moderation.

They are an optimal macro nutrient for health and general fitness.

Best answer in this thread...The other snarky comments should be buried. Sheesh what happened to this community.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I dont preach if it fits ur macros. But eat enough to hit ur macros. Going over nsy make u fat or have health consequences.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad because they made me fat and pre-diabetic. Now that I restrict them to under 30g a day, I've lost 1/3 of my body weight and 1/2 the gain of the last 14 years, and I am no longer pre-diabetic and I have a normal blood lipid profile and blood pressure.

Now, tell me again that carbs are good? :p

Great job! Congrats on getting your health back!! But I respectfully disagree with you. You stated in your post 'Carbs are bad because they made me fat and pre-diabetic'. Carbs didn't do it.....you did it. It was the consumption of too many carbs, too many calories and allowing yourself to become obese that caused your health problems.

There are many people out there that can eat carbs in moderation with no problems at all.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Remember guys carbs have four cals per gram just like protein. Fat has nine per gram. So saying carbs have alot of cals doesnt really make sense.

It is for the micro nutrient return on some junk foods.
    If you still meet your macro nutrient goals for the day though. That's not a problem.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    simple carbs are typically monosaccharides. They are a single simple molecule. Easily and quickly broken down by the body. Complex carbs are polysaccharides. They are chains of sugar molecules linked together. The body takes longer to break these down.

Simple and complex shouldn't be used, it's a general lay term misnomer. And your attempt to define it as monosaccharides and polysaccharides is slightly incorrect. For example, sucrose, a simple polysaccharide (simple here in that it is easily made from two monosaccharides) is typically considered a simple carb. Fructose - a monosaccharides is sometimes not so quickly broken down and depends on the substrate. Some "complex" carbs, like starch, can be made easily available.

It's just best to avoid "simple" and "complex".

I wasnt going to go into the different kinds of bonds here.

Nothing I wrote talks about bonds, your post about simple carbs = always more easily available is not correct. It depends on total food composition.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    CARBS did this to you? does this include veggies and fruits? or where you shoving twinkies down your throat?

I was Vegan actually!
    No they didn't. And no they aren't.

Yes they did. Explain why I was in such a bad state, despite eating the magical low fat diet with plenty of fruit and veg! Yet when I dropped the carbs and started eating high fat, moderate protein, the weight dropped off (despite many years of dieting including Weight Watchers and failing dismally) and my blood work normalised.
    Because low fat, low protein? You know, fats regulate hormones, proteins necessary for growth and repair?

Carbs aren't bad. They're just easy to overconsume.