Wheat Belly "Diet"

Options
Dr William Davis says it, so it must be true. It's a good job he doesn't have a book to sell or anything otherwise I might think he had an ulterior motive...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2645445/Its-ultra-fast-diet-devised-heart-expert-slims-midriffs-cutting-wheat-And-today-reveal-trim-tum-AND-transform-skin.html

I in no way agree with the above article by the way (am I allowed to post links?), but as it's in the "news" it will no doubt be brought up by someone who hates bread.

In my experience I am fat with or without wheat...

The basic guidelines for this diet are:

EAT AS MUCH OF THESE FOODS AS YOU LIKE
•Vegetables (except potatoes and sweetcorn, which are high in insulin-spiking carbs)
•Raw nuts and seeds
•Healthy oils: extra-virgin olive, avocado, walnut, coconut, cocoa butter, flaxseed, macadamia and sesame
•Meat and eggs (preferably free-range and organic as they have more healthy omega-3 fatty acids)
•Cheese, preferably full-fat
•Non-sugary condiments — mustard, horseradish, tapenade, salsa, mayonnaise, vinegar, gluten-free soya sauce, chilli or hot pepper sauces.
•Linseed, avocados, olives, coconut, spices, cocoa (unsweetened).

EAT SMALL AMOUNTS OF THESE FOODS

Have a maximum of 100g or 100ml of each of the following per meal, as more than this can increase blood-sugar.

•Dairy products other than cheese (this is because dairy proteins can increase the release of insulin, but the fermentation process required to make cheese reduces this effect)
•Fruit. Berries are best, but be careful of the most sugary fruits, including pineapple, papaya, mango and banana
•Fresh fruit juices
•Wheat-free and gluten-free grains, such as quinoa, millet, buckwheat, brown and wild rice, oats (have a maximum of 50g of these sorts of grains per meal)
•Pulses such as black beans, kidney beans, broad beans, lentils, chickpeas, sweet potatoes
•Soya products — tofu, edamame, soya beans.

AVOID THESE FOODS ALTOGETHER

•Wheat products
•Unhealthy oils — hydrogenated, polyunsaturated (especially corn, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, cottonseed, soya bean)
•Gluten-free foods — specifically those made with cornflour, rice starch, potato starch or tapioca starch. The starches used to replace wheat can send your blood-sugar even higher than wheat
•Dried fruit — figs, dates, prunes, raisins, cranberries
•Fried foods
•Sugary snacks — sweets, chocolate, ice-cream, energy bars
•Sugary fructose-rich sweeteners — agave syrup or nectar, honey, maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose
•Sugary condiments — jellies, jams, preserves, ketchup (if containing sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup), chutney.

Really? I can eat as much as I like of nuts, olives, olive oil, avocado and mayonaisse to lose my newly named "wheat belly"? Even if I go way over my maintenance intake? This is revolutionary.

So far I have lost weight eating: vegetables INCLUDING vast amounts of sweet potato & sweetcorn, lentils, muller rice pudding, bananas, pineapples and BREAD... Tonight I'll be eating pasta.

I got where I am today eating "as much as I like" of various things and I wish I'd stop reading giant piles of bull poop telling me I can eat unlimited amounts of anything. I CANNOT.

Replies

• brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    We never learn.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Wheat. The newest boogie man food.
  • carinthea
    carinthea Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think that any diet can be successful if followed strictly. Until the word 'unlimited' comes into play this looks very similar to the South Beach Diet (one on which I managed to lose 6 stone at the beginning of my journey)...that said, it is incredibly difficult to maintain long term. I believe that demonising any one food group is a mistake; the more you tell yourself (or others tell you) that you shouldn't have it the more you want it (at least in my case)...I love bread, it IS my downfall therefore I severely restrict my intake while on a diet - and this week will not be eating it at all. That it tends to be included in things that also make up the 'no no' area in any diet (cakes, biscuits etc) probably doesn't help in keeping wheat off the 'demon food' list but surely it's all part of that 'balanced' thing...anything in a large quantity is bad for you (well unfortunately not anything because I have never seen "Don't eat too much cauliflower or broccoli" on any list), fruit is high in sugar which is bad for diabetics, pre-diabetics and the teeth, fake sugar can cause cancers and does cause really bad 'bathroom' problems, too much water can cause you to internally drown...and the list goes on.

I think that maybe the wording used when promoting a new diet is misleading. It should never be "Don't ever eat this it's what makes you fat" it should be "Don't eat TOO much of this, it can contribute to make you fat..." but of course that would never sell a book or make people click on an article because it's telling people what they already know without the scaremongering.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious. Clearly lentils are responsible for my weight and I should just start chugging mayonnaise instead. Health!
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Anything in moderation.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Dr William Davis says it, so it must be true. It's a good job he doesn't have a book to sell or anything otherwise I might think he had an ulterior motive...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2645445/Its-ultra-fast-diet-devised-heart-expert-slims-midriffs-cutting-wheat-And-today-reveal-trim-tum-AND-transform-skin.html

I in no way agree with the above article by the way (am I allowed to post links?), but as it's in the "news" it will no doubt be brought up by someone who hates bread.

•Vegetables (except potatoes and sweetcorn, which are high in insulin-spiking carbs)
    •Raw nuts and seeds
    •Healthy oils: extra-virgin olive, avocado, walnut, coconut, cocoa butter, flaxseed, macadamia and sesame
    •Meat and eggs (preferably free-range and organic as they have more healthy omega-3 fatty acids)
    •Non-sugary condiments — mustard, horseradish, tapenade, salsa, mayonnaise, vinegar, gluten-free soya sauce, chilli or hot pepper sauces.

Have a maximum of 100g or 100ml of each of the following per meal, as more than this can increase blood-sugar.

•Dairy products other than cheese (this is because dairy proteins can increase the release of insulin, but the fermentation process required to make cheese reduces this effect)
    •Fruit. Berries are best, but be careful of the most sugary fruits, including pineapple, papaya, mango and banana
    •Fresh fruit juices
    •Wheat-free and gluten-free grains, such as quinoa, millet, buckwheat, brown and wild rice, oats (have a maximum of 50g of these sorts of grains per meal)
    •Pulses such as black beans, kidney beans, broad beans, lentils, chickpeas, sweet potatoes

•Wheat products
    •Unhealthy oils — hydrogenated, polyunsaturated (especially corn, sunflower, safflower, grapeseed, cottonseed, soya bean)
    •Gluten-free foods — specifically those made with cornflour, rice starch, potato starch or tapioca starch. The starches used to replace wheat can send your blood-sugar even higher than wheat
    •Fried foods
    •Sugary fructose-rich sweeteners — agave syrup or nectar, honey, maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose
    •Sugary condiments — jellies, jams, preserves, ketchup (if containing sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup), chutney.

Really? I can eat as much as I like of nuts, olives, olive oil, avocado and mayonaisse to lose my newly named "wheat belly"? Even if I go way over my maintenance intake? This is revolutionary.

So far I have lost weight eating: vegetables INCLUDING vast amounts of sweet potato & sweetcorn, lentils, muller rice pudding, bananas, pineapples and BREAD... Tonight I'll be eating pasta.

I got where I am today eating "as much as I like" of various things and I wish I'd stop reading giant piles of bull poop telling me I can eat unlimited amounts of anything. I CANNOT.

I'm not use the message is eat unlimited amounts, or indeed is it 'eat as much as you can'.

I eat as much as I like (which happens to be in moderation) of the things listed and when I am full/satisfied I stop eating - the result being that I end up eating a calorie deficit.

Now if I ate as much as I liked of simple sugars or other junk food - until I was full / satisfied I would end up in a calorie surplus (as indeed I have done over the past decade, which is why I am on MFP).

We are all different, so that approach may not work for you, but it definitely works for others.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    Options

•Raw nuts and seeds

•Fresh fruit juices

•Wheat products
    •Fried foods

I'm not use the message is eat unlimited amounts, or indeed is it 'eat as much as you can'.

I eat as much as I like (which happens to be in moderation) of the things listed and when I am full/satisfied I stop eating - the result being that I end up eating a calorie deficit.

Now if I ate as much as I liked of simple sugars or other junk food - until I was full / satisfied I would end up in a calorie surplus (as indeed I have done over the past decade, which is why I am on MFP).

We are all different, so that approach may not work for you, but it definitely works for others.

You make a good point, but that's just proper nutrition which can include foods like raisins and dates. This person is selling a fad diet which offers invalid workarounds to that model. People who forgo a traditional diet for something like this are looking in the wrong places for a quick fix that doesn't exist. People like this want to hear that they won't have to limit certain foods and many would probably take advantage of the unlimited amounts of those foods which this fad diet allows for. Eating certain foods isn't responsible for weight gain, the amounts of those foods are and vegetables and nuts are no exception. There's no one thing you can cut out and reasonably expect to lose weight, but that seems to be what this person is selling.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

•Raw nuts and seeds

•Fresh fruit juices

•Wheat products
    •Fried foods

You make a good point, but that's just proper nutrition which can include foods like raisins and dates. This person is selling a fad diet which offers invalid workarounds to that model. People who forgo a traditional diet for something like this are looking in the wrong places for a quick fix that doesn't exist. People like this want to hear that they won't have to limit certain foods and many would probably take advantage of the unlimited amounts of those foods which this fad diet allows for. Eating certain foods isn't responsible for weight gain, the amounts of those foods are and vegetables and nuts are no exception. There's no one thing you can cut out and reasonably expect to lose weight, but that seems to be what this person is selling.

Agreed, but I think there is more of a message in cutting wheat than just weight loss - it does get lost in translation.

My thoughts on a diet which cuts out grains and reduces the intake of sugar is: those types of food are generally low in nutrition (compared to their calorific content) and as the goal is to reduce calories so we are in a deficit then they are low hanging fruit (excuse the pun).

Also (and this is my opinion) why restrict all of your food, by having to limit what you eat if all types of food (i.e calorie counting), when you can just restrict a few and eat the other types of food until you are satisfied, as opposed to having to stop eating when you may still be hungry.

For me low carb is a dodle, as I love meat and stuff like bread and pasta, I can take it leave it.

I would say that low carb is difficult for people who love their carbs and probably would suit those people.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Eat whatever you want

Calories in vs. calories out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

•Raw nuts and seeds

•Fresh fruit juices

•Wheat products
    •Fried foods

You know full well some people can eat a lot more than others...and eating as much as you like, unlimited amounts or as much as you can means different things to different people...

Telling people "eat as much as you like" of any food is wrong and can and probably will lead to weight gain.

Otherwise people who follow specific eating plans wouldn't gain weight....but they do

there are lots of overweight vegans/vegetarians, people who eat primal and paleo and now this...

CICO...even if you want to follow this particular eating plan you still have to count your calories...

cause I could eat a lot of cheese, avocadoes etc all which are very calorie dense and could easily pack the pounds on...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

•Raw nuts and seeds

•Fresh fruit juices

•Wheat products
    •Fried foods

You know full well some people can eat a lot more than others...and eating as much as you like, unlimited amounts or as much as you can means different things to different people...

Telling people "eat as much as you like" of any food is wrong and can and probably will lead to weight gain.

Otherwise people who follow specific eating plans wouldn't gain weight....but they do

there are lots of overweight vegans/vegetarians, people who eat primal and paleo and now this...

CICO...even if you want to follow this particular eating plan you still have to count your calories...

cause I could eat a lot of cheese, avocadoes etc all which are very calorie dense and could easily pack the pounds on...

It's impossible to get a true answer, as most people would not embark on their own n=1 study, but I would love to see how much over or under their calorie target people would actual eat if they cut out the foods on the wheat belly list and are what they liked of the other food?

I obviously know the results from my own personal study!

Also I think a lot of people on diets like sad, vegan, primal etc do get over weight because they have not learnt to stop eating when they are full, or have eaten as much as they liked. I can sometimes be guilty of this - especially with Greek yoghurt!
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    Options

•Raw nuts and seeds

•Fresh fruit juices

•Wheat products
    •Fried foods

Agreed, but I think there is more of a message in cutting wheat than just weight loss - it does get lost in translation.

My thoughts on a diet which cuts out grains and reduces the intake of sugar is: those types of food are generally low in nutrition (compared to their calorific content) and as the goal is to reduce calories so we are in a deficit then they are low hanging fruit (excuse the pun).

Also (and this is my opinion) why restrict all of your food, by having to limit what you eat if all types of food (i.e calorie counting), when you can just restrict a few and eat the other types of food until you are satisfied, as opposed to having to stop eating when you may still be hungry.

For me low carb is a dodle, as I love meat and stuff like bread and pasta, I can take it leave it.

I would say that low carb is difficult for people who love their carbs and probably would suit those people.

The summary of the diet which was posted here is probably skimming over some things so there certainly may be something I missed. I agree that many people would benefit from cutting back on grains, and especially sugar. But the all-or-nothing nature of this diet is in my opinion at odds with a truly healthy diet. If things like meat and nuts are more filling for you, they're probably a better choice than wheat or other grains may be. But people wouldn't be trying to lose weight if they didn't have a history of overeating, and this diet gives them free reign to do just that. You're being sensible about what would be required for this diet to be healthy, but people who are uninformed about nutrition couldn't be expected to do the same, and these fad diets are often predatory towards those people.

I find that eating anything in moderation works better for me than cutting out entire groups because of their macronutrient profiles, but it certainly varies person to person and many people benefit from things like low-carb. I think we both agree that cutting calories is the goal of this diet, but it presents its answer in the form of limiting grains which I would say is mostly arbitrary and done as a way to sell a new "miracle cure". Cutting grains may help but it's not the answer to weight loss.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

^^^ the daily mail song. It's funny.

Also I love my weetabix way too much (and no it doesn't make me ill or prevent me from losing fat) to take wheat belly seriously. Especially choco mini weetabix... (with laban... *shock horror! a dairy product!* and berries)
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

And this is my problem with it. Give me a bag of cashew nuts and tell me I can eat as many of them as I like and I most certainly will. I like cashews. I can eat a lot of them and I wouldn't class it as a meal. That would be a snack. I also love cheese. These two things alone would be my downfall and I wouldn't be accountable for anything - I would blame the stupid diet for not working, quit and carry on being overweight.

I can eat a large volume of food without giving it much thought and only calorie counting has made me realise this. I nearly fainted when I looked at the calories per serving of the basmati rice I have at home. I was easily eating 3x the recommended serving on a regular basis, plus a huge piece of salmon, plus some veg, plus some chocolate. No bloody wonder I'm lardy. I guess I pretty much figured, I'm eating healthy food, I can eat as much as I want and if it's on my plate it's going down the hatch - even if I'm full.

I think people need to learn portion control and their own calorie requirements that's all. That doesn't really happen until you start weighing your food.

@neandermagnon I forgot I loved choco weetabix, thanks...! I don't like laban but I do have an unhealthy love affair with labneh. I shall miss that when I eventually leave the desert.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OMG, thank you so much for this. I knew the 8g of organic no sugar added strawberry jam that I put on my PB&J would be my undoing.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    Options
    OMG, thank you so much for this. I knew the 8g of organic no sugar added strawberry jam that I put on my PB&J would be my undoing.

Wow you really aren't taking your health seriously, did you even soak the bread in sesame oil and mayonnaise?
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who is on this diet. I know because it is a daily topic of conversation. Closing the door to my office won't hinder it. It's a constant.
    Me: I got a little sun burned this weeked.
    Him: Since I started low carb, I don't get sunburn.
    :huh:

Him: How much weight have you lost?
    Me: 10lbs
    Him: I eat 5000 calories a day and I've lost more. You shouldn't eat carbs. You can eat as many calories as you want as long as you don't eat carbs. Carbs gave me asthma.

Lordy. I just love work on Mondays.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

^^^ the daily mail song. It's funny.

Also I love my weetabix way too much (and no it doesn't make me ill or prevent me from losing fat) to take wheat belly seriously. Especially choco mini weetabix... (with laban... *shock horror! a dairy product!* and berries)

Forgive me, but what's laban? With a brief search I only came up with the name of a biblical figure.
  • jward199
    jward199 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have read the book, along with several others, and decided to give it a try. My version is No Sugar No Wheat (as opposed to No Grain, which was a bit too restrictive for me; I also eat legumes and potatoes). I've been doing this since January, and I have lost a several inches on my waist; I'm down 4 notches on my belt.

Every other program I followed resulted in weight loss, but no reduction in my belly. I blamed genetics (sorry Mom!), but now I think we were both carrying wheat bellies. I plan to get rid of mine by losing the wheat (and sugar!).

Here are links to other books I read before trying this lifestyle:
    Gary Taubes: Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It
    http://smile.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About-ebook/dp/B003WUYOQ6/ref=la_B0034P66MY_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401717757&sr=1-1

TC Hale: Kick Your Fat in the Nuts
    http://smile.amazon.com/Kick-Your-Nuts-T-C-Hale-ebook/dp/B00AR78BV6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401717806&sr=1-1&keywords=kick+your+fat+in+the+nuts

Vinnie Tortorich: Fitness Confidential
    http://smile.amazon.com/FITNESS-CONFIDENTIAL-Adventures-Weight-Loss-Game-ebook/dp/B00DONI7AK/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401717858&sr=1-1&keywords=fitness+confidential