First Half Marathon: weight and time?

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
Hi everyone, I am going to attempt my first half marathon on 21st of June. I will be brisk walking mostly and may be jog the 25% of the distance only. I currently weigh 309lbs. I am interested to know your weight when you had attempted your first half marathon and what was your finishing time?
This question is not just about the race day. I am asking about the first time when you did 21km distance in your life:) I just want get the idea for beginner's time.

Replies

• ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've never done a half marathon, so I can't really help. I did walk a 10k in about 1 hour, 45 minutes recently at 205 pounds.

I just wanted to say, YOU GO! And I hope you will post your finishing time.
    Rita
  • umer76
    Options
    Thanks! I did my 10K last week in 1 hour 32 minutes. I always try to run 4-5kms of the distance with breaks.
  • green83eyes
    green83eyes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon about 2 years ago...I trained for 6 months, I was 142lbs and I ran it in 2:09.
  • spally2
    spally2 Posts: 22
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in 2.40 and I was 167 lbs
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I did my (so far) one and only half marathon last October. I weighed around 175lbs (I'm 5ft 8) and I completed it in 2 hours 36 minutes. I ran the whole way, though probably could've walked faster than I ran at times!! :-)

Undecided as to whether I will do another one...I think I will, but maybe not the same one as it was reeeeeally hilly! The last 2 miles were all uphill, ouch!!
  • ashleighwebster88
    ashleighwebster88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I ran my first last September. I was around 137lbs and did it in 2 hours. GOOD LUCK! x
  • runforestrun35
    runforestrun35 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Not sure of weight, but the first 1/2 I did was 2hr 28 min, second was 2hr 14min...
  • umer76
    Options
    Anybody closer to 300 lbs or over 250 lbs when attempted the half marathon? I know I am not going to finish it in less than 3 hours. My current goal is 10min/km which is little 3.5 hours. Is it really slow?
  • Prithamnambiar
    Prithamnambiar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was 265 pounds (now at 205) , and started running and myfitnesspal to lose weight.... i ran 17 k in about 2 hours and 20 minutes the first time, and the next time shaved off almost 15 minutes. I also run and walk almost equally...
    for a first half marathon (which I am running in oct this year) i hope to finish in 2 hrs 45 mins or thereabouts... but then it doesnt matter really as i am sure the thrill of finishing is much more important (done a couple of 12 k runs and i dont remember my timing right now, only that i finished the damn thing!)
  • JTUSAFRet
    JTUSAFRet Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ran my 1st and 2nd half marathons last year. I was 52 years old, weighed 188 pounds. My first 1/2 time was 2:30:59 and the second was 2:59:10, during the second I developed a bad blister on the ball of my foot, it bled quite a bit and slowed me down from the pain.
  • umer76
    Options
    I ran my 1st and 2nd half marathons last year. I was 52 years old, weighed 188 pounds. My first 1/2 time was 2:30:59 and the second was 2:59:10, during the second I developed a bad blister on the ball of my foot, it bled quite a bit and slowed me down from the pain.
    You have done great to finish the race. I am using anti-blisters socks to tackle the blisters. These socks really work.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have my first HM the day after yours, I'm aiming for 2:30 to 2:45 and want to run most of it. I've got my 10k PB down to 1:03:59 and 5k to 28:36 this year (having started running last Arp/ May when I started losing weight, using the C25K programme).

Best of luck :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    First run of the distance was 2:10, I'm 44, 170lbs
  • umer76
    Options
    I have my first HM the day after yours, I'm aiming for 2:30 to 2:45 and want to run most of it. I've got my 10k PB down to 1:03:59 and 5k to 28:36 this year (having started running last Arp/ May when I started losing weight, using the C25K programme).

Best of luck :)
    You have got great times for 5K and 10K. I am sure you could finish your HM within 2:30.
    My fastest 10K is 92 mins to date and I am working on it to improve.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've improved slowly but steadily - my first 5k took me 50mins! Varying training to include some sprint sessions, some hill sessions and also gradually increasing the distance of my long run have all improved my pace. that said I enjoy the long runs the most as the 5k is far harder work from a cardio point of view!
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @OP: Don't worry about finishing over 3 hours. I was about 180 lbs when I did my first half marathon as a 26 year old woman. I think I finished in about 3:00, around a 13+ minute/mile average. I was a bit faster with my second marathon (under 3 hours), but it was a much flatter course. There are a lot of walkers and people at every fitness level. I was very lucky to be living in Cincinnati, where the Flying Pig Marathon is a HUGE community event with tons of supporters lining the course. They were so awesome for people at every capability.
  • umer76
    Options
    Yes the aim is first to finish the race. Secondly to do it around 3 hours.
    In this thread I wanted to know about the first experience of people with half marathon.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My first HM was 3:21 and I would say I was a LOT lighter than I am now. I was pretty unwell then, actually.

My most recent HM was last Feb and I finished in 2:15 at probably my heaviest ever weight.

Just shows that being light does not necessarily mean being fit!

Good luck- just take it easy. If you do want to run a little bit, then the run/walk is a good option. Do whatever you think you need to get you from the start to the finish. Especially don't try to run too fast or for too long at the start- the rest will be painful! Make a realistic plan and stick to it :-)
  • umer76
    Options
    My first HM was 3:21 and I would say I was a LOT lighter than I am now. I was pretty unwell then, actually.

My most recent HM was last Feb and I finished in 2:15 at probably my heaviest ever weight.

Just shows that being light does not necessarily mean being fit!

Good luck- just take it easy. If you do want to run a little bit, then the run/walk is a good option. Do whatever you think you need to get you from the start to the finish. Especially don't try to run too fast or for too long at the start- the rest will be painful! Make a realistic plan and stick to it :-)
    I agree that lighter does not necessarily means the person is fit.
    I am hoping to run atleast 25% of the way. My target is to finish with in 3.5 hours. I jog pretty slowly, if I try to run faster I will out of gas within 3 minutes. This past weekend I walked/jog 14 kms. and next weekend I will do 17 kms.