First Half Marathon: weight and time?

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I weighed about 145 lbs and finished in 2:33:41...and that was with a wrongly marked course.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I was approx 176lbs and ran it in 2:03. Bizarrely, I actually ran a Marathon before I did a half; my halfway split in that was 2:12
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My first HM was in 2003 and I finished in 2:05. I weighed around 115 lbs. Last fall I ran a PR of 1:52. I weighed around 105 lbs.

I know this thread has gone completely awry from what you intended, but I think the message is still there: keep running and you will get thinner and faster. Everybody starts somewhere. Congrats on running your first HM. Hope it's the start of many more to come!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Around 190 pounds? 2:33:06 (Sept 2013)

Lots of miles later and weighing a bit MORE actually ???????? my current PR is 2:22:03

ETA date
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My first HM was in 2011 (I forget what I weighed) but the time was about 2:45 as had an IT band issue (like an idiot I'd done a 100km bike ride the week before) and walked the last 7km) my PB for this distance is 2:14:47 (goal this year is to break 2:00)

If this is your first & you expect to walk 75% of it don't worry about the time, just have fun!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I finished my first half in 2011 in 2:49. I think I was about 160 at the time (I had lost about 40 pounds since the previous year).
    Honestly, though, I have had heavier friends finish faster than me and smaller friends run slower at various races, so size isn't always an indicator of finishing time...what matters is whether you've put in the training and have the confidence to do it. Good luck!
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    2008. I weighed roughly 210 lbs and finished in 2:53.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    If you can run a 10K in 1 hr, 32 mins, you can extrapolate that to estimate about a 3 hour, 15 minute half marathon, depending on your running pace/walking pace. Your goal for your first half, whether walking or running or a combination, should just be to finish. Upright and with a smile on your face (that's from the Jeff Galloway training method ;)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    May 2012, 12 weeks of training, weighing in at 136, ran 1:55:?? I forget the seconds. I was exhausted, in pain, and elated all at the same time.

Good luck with your race. Remember to run YOUR race. Not anyone else's idea of what you should do!!
  • LadyMontdore
    LadyMontdore Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First off - I am IN AWE of you signing up to a half, and of your training distances. I'm currently obese (female, 180 lbs, 5'3) and a super slow runner but I've just signed up to my first half because I need some kind of goal. I've been reading the Penguin Diaries by John Bingham who writes so brilliantly about running just for the hell of it even if you're at the back of the pack and he has inspired me hugely. I stress massively about finish times - I'll never be able to do the half under 3 hours even on a good day - but as Bingham says, others may run faster than me, but few will run longer than me. I'm happy with that. If I manage that half marathon my achievement will be HUGE. 13 plus miles is a huge distance and one that most people would struggle to cover in a day never mind a few hours. I guess what I'm saying is that by going for it you are awesome before you even cross the starting line.
  • fifilan
    fifilan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First HM in 2006. I finished in about 2:36 and weighed about 130. Don't worry so much about time unless there is a cutoff. It is just great that you are out there doing it!
  • grumpyfitness
    grumpyfitness Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ran first half in March2014 weighed about 180lbs finished in 1:43.....ran another one 2 weeks later and finished in 1:41. I have been running for about a year now. My weight was about 255 when I started exercising. I will be 55 later this month.

Good luck.....don't worry about your time.....just doing it is a great accomplishment! Let us know how you do.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Half last year (Racine) - Age: 39 @ #183 in 1:58:45
    First Half. Goal was 1:45:00.0.

I was prepared for a flat course, not this:
    The gray is elevation.
    14329370572_0506bf1c79_b.jpg
    Link For Full Race: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5523/14329370572_0506bf1c79_b.jpg

Training Program:
    http://lolofit.com/apps/half_marathon_with_jeff_galloway

Worth every penny. Jeff's method is Run/Walk/Run, my interval was 6 minute run / 20 second walk. Repeat for the whole race.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I was around 165 (5'5) with a time of 3:29.

Time's not really a big deal for your first half since you're still trying to figure out what works for you. I actually ran at a slower pace than while training, I think for a number of reasons -- I trained with a group of faster people, took bathroom breaks during the race, and my longest training run was only 10 miles. But it's still a huge accomplishment to finish.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the good advice people. Much appreciated.
  • sciencegirl_14
    Options
    Not sure about weight (maybe 85kg?) but my first half marathon I did in 3 hours and 15 minutes by walking and running intermittently (like 5 minutes running, 5 minutes walking) :) good luck! xx
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've thought of this already, but just in case: check that your race doesn't have a cut-off time of 3 hours, as some do, especially if they have closed roads and need to re-open them.

As everyone else has said, the more you keep at it the better your running will get. Good luck!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just did my first half marathon last weekend ( 5/25/14) my goal originally was 2:20, but due to some leg issues while training I was slightly under trained (longest distance before the run was 7 miles) I made my goal to finish in under 3 hours.

I ended up running it in 2:30 which I am pretty happy with- my course also had a time cut off and did not support those who were intending to walk ( it was run through downtown Boston) so just make sure that the run you selected doesn't have a time cut off. Otherwise just keep training, invest in body glide (helps with chaffing and blisters) and run your race for you!

Good Luck!!
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in June 2012. I was ~157 and my time was 2:35 ish
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just did my first half marathon yesterday (it was a trail run). Finished at 2hours 1 minute and 18 seconds (which isn't particularly fast, but it was a personal record for me). I stopped at EVERY water station.

Times for women versus men are going to be pretty different, as in women (overall) are slower than men.

As for weight, I am very petite and thin. In my anecdotal experience, weight doesn't play that large of a factor in your ability to be fast or run long distances! There were men and women who easily had 50+ lbs on me who left me in the dust for all 13 miles!