Game of Thrones - I Need Therapy - Spoiler Alert

Options

Replies

• Menecairiel
    Menecairiel Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    As a book reader I knew it was coming. But seeing it...ouch.

I think Martin would just name a character after you, make them really likable and then kill them as revenge for that bill.

Love the Jaime/Tyrion interaction! Jaime Lannister is one of my favourite characters....I know, me bad. But he rocks. Sansa can do a running jump as far as I am concerned though.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Love the writing on this show.

You might want to check out City of Thieves then. It was also written by David Benioff. The guy can write.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Yeah, reading the books has helped because you know some of it's coming, but actually seeing the violence on screen is hard, especially the Red Wedding with Robb's wife. I had to look away, but the sound effects were bad enough. I can't wait to get this season on DVD and listen to the commentary! Wish Oberyn could've stayed around longer though.
  • benaddict
    benaddict Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    On another note, when Arya and The Hound heard about Lysa's death, Arya's laugh was priceless. made me love her even more.

That was my favorite part of the whole episode.

Agreed! I laughed so hard.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Yeah, reading the books has helped because you know some of it's coming, but actually seeing the violence on screen is hard, especially the Red Wedding with Robb's wife. I had to look away, but the sound effects were bad enough. I can't wait to get this season on DVD and listen to the commentary! Wish Oberyn could've stayed around longer though.

Considering his wife wasn't even at the wedding in the books, I can see where that would still shock the readers. :-P
    You might want to check out City of Thieves then. It was also written by David Benioff. The guy can write.

Will add it to my reading list! Thanks!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am so sad for Tyrion.... :(
    Yeah because now he's going to die and there's no possible way out of it and his story won't continue or anything.
  • neonemesis
    neonemesis Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thank goodness he didnt do it exactly like the book.

From ASOIF Wikia

"the prostrated Clegane manages to grab hold of Oberyn and smash his armoured fist into Oberyn's face, killing him: dashing out his brains after first destroying his teeth and knocking out his eyes"

ok after re-watching the scene they did it perfectly as the books. i must've looked away haha well done. i love the fact that this show is very adult.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I really like where they are going with Sansa.

Was there a point to the beetle smashing story.

I was sitting by myself watching this morning. I threw my hands over my eyes. It was so intense.

I have never watched a show like this.

I confess I was shaking.

The beetle story did a pretty good job in setting up the climax, imo.

There was also a really nice bit of foreshadowing for the next episode (or perhaps episode after next) hidden in the dialogue of this one somewhere too......

Love the writing on this show.

OHHHH I caught that!!! but I had to bite my tongue as my partner hasn't read that far in the books yet.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I am so sad for Tyrion.... :(
    Yeah because now he's going to die and there's no possible way out of it and his story won't continue or anything.

There is always a way I believe... but I guess those of us who haven't read all or any of the books won't know until it happens.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    On another note, when Arya and The Hound heard about Lysa's death, Arya's laugh was priceless. made me love her even more.

That was my favorite part of the whole episode.

Agreed, that was amazing. I loved the Hound in the books, but Rory McCann does such an outstanding job that I love him even more in the show.
  • I've been waiting for the final few episodes this season. So much good stuff is about to go down. That said, I feel what is going to happen next week in Episode 9 is not going to give justice to the novels. If S4 - Episode 10 happens the way I think it will it will leave its millions of viewers very happy.

As an aside - READ THE BOOKS PEOPLE!!!!!!
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    While reading the books, in my head that was not Oberyn's voice, so all I kept thinking was...
    My-name-is-Inigo-Montoya-You-killed-my-father-Prepare-to-die_zps22e46664.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I think Martin would just name a character after you, make them really likable and then kill them as revenge for that bill.

Love the Jaime/Tyrion interaction! Jaime Lannister is one of my favourite characters....I know, me bad. But he rocks. Sansa can do a running jump as far as I am concerned though.

this is what I mean, since you read the book and already knew what would happen, did you really need to see it? also could not the point have been inferred?

I just don't know what happened to withheld image in storytelling and film. Sometimes does it not seem gratuitous, or just for shock value as hinted above? Does that ever just turn you off to a show? To me it often does.

I'm just wondering if any of you think withheld image would have been a better tool in this scene?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I was sitting by myself watching this morning. I threw my hands over my eyes. It was so intense.

I confess I was shaking.

The point of the beetle smashing story was some things in life cannot be explained. It paralleled his situation perfectly. He'd done everything he could for King's Landing, saving the people from invaders and a large number of other things (ie smashing beetles) but it didn't matter. There was no point in his helping them because they still hated him and were still going to cheer for his death. I don't know if I'm making this clear.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I was hearing a lot about this show in the beginning and when I looked into it a pregnant lady was having her belly stabbed. That was enough for me. I knew just to have legs the show would have to top itself so I'm not surprised it's chosen to be graphic in that way. I get that it was books and so it has to stick to some semblance of storyline/plotlines but it's choosey where you are going to put that kind of stuff in and how. I just knew I'd end up like OP all "disturbed" and whatnot.

I like my shows to be nice and give me good feelings. I don't like to feel like I need showers or therapy or my mommy after things I watch.

I'm sorry you feel like that OP...are you going to continue to watch? I'd guess by now the storyline is so riveting, you kind of really really want to in spite of that feeling?

You know for the first time I am really considering walking away from this one. I might feel differently by Sunday. But I feel like, "Come on, we get it, you like to kill the good guys." It is becoming more expected than shocked.

I am not sure if I want to see if Tyrian gets it, because he is my favorite.
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Last night's episode was a 3-dimensional mind screw. My heart sank.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    Options
    ii9cQkm.jpg

My facebook photo for part of last week was a "Hello my name is...." badge with Oberyn Martell written in.

Edit: Aww, nuts. I don't want to fiddle around with fixing the size on that. Just right click it.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    Options

this is what I mean, since you read the book and already knew what would happen, did you really need to see it? also could not the point have been inferred?

I just don't know what happened to withheld image in storytelling and film. Sometimes does it not seem gratuitous, or just for shock value as hinted above? Does that ever just turn you off to a show? To me it often does.

I'm just wondering if any of you think withheld image would have been a better tool in this scene?

Not for me. I love the gore.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I confess I was shaking.

The point of the beetle smashing story was some things in life cannot be explained. It paralleled his situation perfectly. He'd done everything he could for King's Landing, saving the people from invaders and a large number of other things (ie smashing beetles) but it didn't matter. There was no point in his helping them because they still hated him and were still going to cheer for his death. I don't know if I'm making this clear.

At least, that's how I interpreted it.

That is incredibly clear to me.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I was hearing a lot about this show in the beginning and when I looked into it a pregnant lady was having her belly stabbed. That was enough for me. I knew just to have legs the show would have to top itself so I'm not surprised it's chosen to be graphic in that way. I get that it was books and so it has to stick to some semblance of storyline/plotlines but it's choosey where you are going to put that kind of stuff in and how. I just knew I'd end up like OP all "disturbed" and whatnot.

I like my shows to be nice and give me good feelings. I don't like to feel like I need showers or therapy or my mommy after things I watch.

I'm sorry you feel like that OP...are you going to continue to watch? I'd guess by now the storyline is so riveting, you kind of really really want to in spite of that feeling?

You know for the first time I am really considering walking away from this one. I might feel differently by Sunday. But I feel like, "Come on, we get it, you like to kill the good guys." It is becoming more expected than shocked.

I am not sure if I want to see if Tyrian gets it, because he is my favorite.

I don't know that he kills off ALL the good guys... if that were true then Jon Snow would be dead and so would Arya... not to mention Dany, Bran, and quite a few others.... Jaime's character has redeeming qualities as well... first season I would have liked to see him dead, but now.... not so much... also Joffery would still be a live...