Curvy Girls Running Problems

Options
CookNLift
CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
Okay, this is stemming from an argument I had with my sister and friend. They said that even though they wear sports bras, they can't run to their fullest potential because it still hurts. Is this true or not? My argument was that sports bras are supposed to tighten everything down and prevent any pain, and they said it still doesn't work.

Please someone tell me that I'm right so I can find some proof.

EDIT: **To avoid any further assumptions that I'm being an assuming d-bag or perv, the reason I want to know is because my sister and friend tend to complain about a lot of things to get out of stuff they don't want to do. I want to find out if they were using it as an excuse or to find out if others experienced the problem, and possibly what they could do or buy to assist them since I like having someone to run with**

Replies

• cheekym7
    cheekym7 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You are wrong, even doubling up on the sports bras.....
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    You won't find your proof from me either. They are still a big pain!
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes it hurts! Also if your friends say so, why don't you believe them? Is this a joke they made up?
  • bikinilinds
    bikinilinds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think if you invest in a good quality sports bra, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. I have a larger chest and I never have pain with running, and running is a favorite form of exercise for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Surely, it's going to vary from person to person, but it also will vary greatly depending on the bra. I used to wear 2 bras when running. It was uncomfortable. Both because wearing two bras is uncomfortable, and I still had too much bounce.

Then I found the right exercise bra for me. I can run, I can jump, I can even mountain bike (which honestly for me was a bigger problem) with no uncomfortable bounce. Very little bounce at all in fact.

I am a cup size D. I can imagine that the problem increases as the cup size increases. But I really think finding the right exercise bra makes a world of difference.
  • MissInfiniti
    MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a problem honestly. I have a lot other things that start to hurt before my breasts (large C/small D) cause problems. If I'm not in a correctly fitting quality sports bra-- then yes. When I was in boot camp I had to double up because they issued us the most horrible sports bras. Soon as I got out I bought a quality one and haven't had any related pain since.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wear an F (that's a DDD for those who don't know) and I double up on them and it still hurts. I buy quality bras and wear tops that usually also have some support in them as well. Sorry but you're sooo wrong.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Why don't you grow 20-40 lbs of soft tissue dangling off your chest and subject that to 30-40 mins of rhythmic impact generating up to 4 times your bodyweight of force with each impact, and then tell me how you know all about running with boobs. K?
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Okay, this is stemming from an argument I had with my sister and friend. They said that even though they wear sports bras, they can't run to their fullest potential because it still hurts. Is this true or not? My argument was that sports bras are supposed to tighten everything down and prevent any pain, and they said it still doesn't work.

Please someone tell me that I'm right so I can find some proof.

For some, even with a sports bra it's very uncomfortable. For me it depends on the TOM.

As a guy, you can't know what it feels like to be a woman...let alone having large breasts and running. I'm not a guy and I have no idea of what it feels like to get kicked in the jewels. I can assume that it's painful but can never truly understand cause I'm not a guy.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Still hurts. I'm only a 36D, and it still hurts.
  • greeneyes0809
    greeneyes0809 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not so much hurting, just annoying. Plus the doubling up on sports bras means having to do laundry twice as much :grumble:
  • xesixb
    xesixb Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Running=breasts on drugs

they're out of control. they go up and down, left and right. When I'm running I feel they're gonna fall off from all that movement.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm not even especially curvy--only a 38 C--and I can't run without a really good sports bra either--or running with my arms crossed over my chest. Yes, it hurts.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Yes it hurts! Also if your friends say so, why don't you believe them? Is this a joke they made up?

I try and believe in the logic behind why things are made. If someone had on a leg brace, I would assume that it effectively braced their legs, that being said, I assumed a sports bra would keep everything in place to avoid pain from running in that area. My logic was, that if they didn't move around all over the place, how could they hurt after a run.

Although from the answers seen, I'd have to rightfully assume I was wrong, and that there could be a flaw in the product.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Why would you engage in an argument about this?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah I wear an F (that's a DDD for those who don't know) and I double up on them and it still hurts. I buy quality bras and wear tops that usually also have some support in them as well. Sorry but you're sooo wrong.

An E is the same thing as a DDD; F is a DDD in some brands, though. It also varies even more between US, UK and European sizing (I believe UK has the DDD = F cup more consistently). I'm always a 30-32 in those exact ranges (DDD-FF) and it sure varies, as I've learned.

As for question of OP: if those women aren't in a properly fitting sports bra, yes, it'd be very difficult to run. Running up stairs sans bra at home is even difficult for me unless I'm cupping them.

However, they CAN run if they keep searching and find a good sport's bra.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    They said that even though they wear sports bras, they can't run to their fullest potential because it still hurts. Is this true or not?

My feet, calves, shins, knees, hamstrings, quads, side, heart, and lungs can hurt when I run. Does this mean I can never reach my full potential?
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I can hardly walk without mine nearly poking an eye out.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem (32DD) but some others do. It will depend on a variety of factors and some need to double up on the sports bra.