Curvy Girls Running Problems

Options

Replies

• mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    is it not obvious 2 women can both be measured and have the same well fitting sports bra and yet the shear limitation

of the design cannot take into account one women at 19% bodyf at and one at 30%..

surely a bra supports better with solid foundations 19% rather than trying to support from a bed of wobbly fat 30%
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm an E/F-cup and even with a high-impact sports bra running can still hurt like the ****ens. I think boobs have a point of no return--if they're big enough, even the best sports bra in the world won't stop them from impairing your run. It also depends on how in-shape you are--if you're really toned and muscular, your breasts have more natural support and may be less fatty, while if you're jiggly all over, there's gonna be more bounce.

However, something like 80% of women wear the wrong bra size, so there's a decent chance your sister is buying bras with too large a band. Bands are supposed to be very snug when clasped on the outermost hook because they provide almost all the support (the other hooks are for when the bra starts getting stretched out with age). If she's hooking new bras on the tightest clasp and/or can pull the strap more than an inch or so away from her back, she's not getting enough support.

ETA: oh my gosh, MFP censors the word "d i c k e n s" without the spaces. That's hilarious.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I'll add that I bought my Panache sports bra at a specialty store. That's where I buy all my bras these days. They re-measure me every 6 months.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    this is a really weird thread to be started by a man.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    this is a really weird thread to be started by a man.

word.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as an F cup, the smooshing style bras don't do anything but squeeze you. And you need to be a contortionist to get into them. I need a solid band and underwire. When I was in high school and barely an A cup, a simple pullover sports bra was sufficient. Not so much now.

Maybe you could recommend to your friends the Panache Underwire Sport bra. That's my current favorite. Moving Comfort also has some good ones.

Yeah, Moving Comfort is the one that finally worked for me. It is designed kind of like 2 bras in one. An underwire and a "smushy" type. But, is pretty comfortable, for a bra.
  • ElliSwan
    ElliSwan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I previously had 34 G breasts and it was a pain to exercise, running or not. I had surgery which brought be down to a 34 D (which is a bit bigger than I would have liked), and if I don't have just the right sports bra it hurts to run. Luckily I found one that works and I run every day now!
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I had to search, and pay more that i initial have though, but I ran half marathons...with no pains at all...
    Ah, and I'm 5'4'', 145lbs and not flat at all
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Yes it hurts! Also if your friends say so, why don't you believe them? Is this a joke they made up?

I try and believe in the logic behind why things are made. If someone had on a leg brace, I would assume that it effectively braced their legs, that being said, I assumed a sports bra would keep everything in place to avoid pain from running in that area. My logic was, that if they didn't move around all over the place, how could they hurt after a run.

Although from the answers seen, I'd have to rightfully assume I was wrong, and that there could be a flaw in the product.

Legs have the advantage of skeletal structure, whereas breasts are soft tissue with no inner support. I tried Jillian Michaels dads and had to quit them because that sadist is obsessed with jumping jacks.
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    YES! They hurt while running or exercising period. I would love to find a sports bra that I can wear while exercising and it holds the girls down. I am constantly holding them down in my workout classes.
  • Tatyanne
    Options
    YES! They hurt while running or exercising period. I would love to find a sports bra that I can wear while exercising and it holds the girls down. I am constantly holding them down in my workout classes.

what? Are you serious?
    They exist....not a myth....just search for them...
    Mine don't even bounce, and I'm a 36C

Edited to suggest one
    http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/scoop-back-sports-bra/pid-732886/pgid-732888
    I use like this one. If you notice it has a "frame" that holds the ladies in place :happy:
  • kborton1122
    kborton1122 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I don't believe this is true. They need a better sports bra then! I am a FF/G cup and my sports bra holds my girls tight enough that it doesn't hurt.

Just sayin ....
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    This is true for me. I have never been able to find the *perfect* sports bra for running. They all have a *little* give, and maybe I'm just a wuss, but it aches after a VERY short time.

ETA: The underarmor sports bra I have is almost perfect. Almost.

ETA2: Any of you in the DD/E range have a sports bra with the HRM strap built into it? I just got a Polar and the strap already annoys me. The bras I see with it built in all seem to be for smaller chests, though.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    2zsn0ap.gif
  • Tatyanne
    Options
    I don't believe this is true. They need a better sports bra then! I am a FF/G cup and my sports bra holds my girls tight enough that it doesn't hurt.

Just sayin ....

Totally agree with you.
    Tell them they are making excuses and tell them to invest in a GOOD sport bra...
    I know thyy are not cheap. In the beginning I only bought 2...but its an invest that will guarantee no pain and that they don't lose form :laugh:
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    In to see if OP updates that he's successfully helped his sister.

-pokes OP
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    DDD here. No problems running, BUT, I bought a UA sports bra a size smaller than I should have probably, a medium. That sucker locks em down well, and therefore, no issues. I only bought a couple as well, I can put the effort into washing between work outs :smile:
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I got all excited about maybe trying one of the moving comfort ones since a few of you liked them in this thread, just to find out they don't make the super secure ones in my size.

You know, I actually hate having boobs sometimes. Sure, they make for a nice neckline every so often but they're just such a hassle the rest of the time.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Sports bras even layering them still don't always hold down the goods...They're being honest!
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have a special sports bra that I wear to help with the bouncing issue, but the trade off is that it feels like it's squeezing my rib cage and I was fitted for it and it is the right size. But even just going up and down the stairs in my normal bra my boobs become irritated with me. My husband is quite a fan of my large bazooms, but he knows when they are bothering me to leave them (and me) alone, or I am liable to slap him with one of them :-) I had a friend in high school who could lift her boobs and put her face flat into them. She wound up having a reduction. I really would like to have one, but I do not think that it would be covered by my insurance. :-(

It sounds like your sister and her friend may need to get fitted for a specialized bra to help with the pain. The struggle is real! I did a lot of research before I bought my sports bras and even if they are squeezing my ribs, I would rather have that than excruciatingly sore ta-tas.