Running Vs. Riding a bike

Options
I have been running almost everyday for the past year 1-2 miles (pretty much) everyday. And honestly it starts to wear on you. I recently bought a new mountain bike and have been enjoying it quite a bit the past couple days. Would you consider riding daily to be on-par with running? It definitely seems to be easier on my body, but still a good work-out.

Replies

• Everyotherday
    Everyotherday Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question, just wondering. And by running I mean jogging - lol.
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Biking is still a good workout :) I was an all-or-nothing runner (Jogger-lol) for years. But, my joints started to pay. Now, I mix it up by walking, jogging, cycling, and doing various dvds.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Former (and future) triathlete here. Here's your answer: The person who tested with the highest VO2 max on this planet was a cyclist, not a runner. Cycling is a brilliant complement to running and vice versa. Do you wear a HR monitor? If you did, you would know that you will burn as many calories cycling as you will running.

Does that help?
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I prefer running but do ride a stationary bike on occasion. If your running you need to give your body a rest day each week. It helps on recovery. I would say do either which one you feel like that day. As long as your getting exercise that is all that matters. I think the combination of the two is a winner. Just keep riding or running and stay moving.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do both, but lean more towards cycling. I think it is much better to mix things up and get a variety of training than to stick to one form of exercise, personally. I love cycling and find it especially challenging with hills and on windy days. It is almost a form of interval training, in the sense that the resistance changes if you are in a hilly area and with the slowing down at traffic lights etc. I also box, do circuits and weights as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Agree with Joe.

Further, because of no impact, you'll find you can usually go harder on the bike, for longer, and day after day easier.

So actually, it ends up being better workout.

Now - terrible for bone density, so keep some running, especially if you enjoy it.

Running hills seems to help biking more than biking helps running though, except for the relief cross-training.
  • Cycle4Life99
    Options
    I'm not an exercise physiologist and nor are many people on this site but I couldn't imagine running. Running looks like pure torture - no, thanks. It's hard enough logging food and activity, so at the very least, I want an exercise that I love. From personal experience, I have gotten some amazing results since I took up riding. I don't know whether this is a direct result of riding but I can say that my exercise duration went from maybe an hour to sometimes 3+ hours out of a day. You tend to cover some distance when you bike and sometimes you just get into a zone and cease to feel tired for a spell.

Biking for me isn't exercise. Exercise is painful, biking is just pure enjoyment.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I'm not a triathlete, but I do bike, swim, and run. I find biking to be a good complement to everything else. It is easier on the joints.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I burn more calories per minute running but you will burn more calories and be more likely to continue exercising if you find something you enjoy.

If running for 30 minutes sucks, but you love biking and can do it longer and more frequently then cycling is the way to go.

Of course you can always mix it up!

Don't let other people tell you what exercise to do. Pick what you want.
  • Everyotherday
    Everyotherday Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers guys! Just answered my questions spot-on. I do enjoy biking, lot more fun so far. I don't own a HR monitor, may look into that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I will bike..but I wont run.

My husband used to do triathalons...his opinion...running was the least fun part...he will go for a bike ride with me now...or a swim...but if I were to suggest a run (not that I would) he would say NO.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Former (and future) triathlete here. Here's your answer: The person who tested with the highest VO2 max on this planet was a cyclist, not a runner. Cycling is a brilliant complement to running and vice versa. Do you wear a HR monitor? If you did, you would know that you will burn as many calories cycling as you will running.

Does that help?

Depends on how long and how fast you cycle for, as a rule a 30 min run will burn way more calories than a 30 min cycle ride
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Come on over to the Dark Side.:laugh:

Running hurts. Well, it hurts me. So I bike. A lot. A little more than some, alot more than others. If you have a smartphone, get on Strava. Its fun. Get a speedometer on your bike. Wear a HRM w/a chest strap so you can see your calorie burn. :smile:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options

Does that help?

Depends on how long and how fast you cycle for, as a rule a 30 min run will burn way more calories than a 30 min cycle ride

That's interesting both comments. Thanks for posting both.
    I can't run hard enough to burn as many calories as do biking, but then my biking is balls-to-the-wall.
  • heybales
    Options

Does that help?

Totally depends on the intensity as you mentioned.

Absolutely no way to make that claim without knowing what the workload of each exercise is as to what burns more.

Fact is biking 14-16 mph, right around the speed that air resistance starts being a factor, level, is equal to running about 10:00/mile level.

I've had folks I've joined on trail rides maintain that speed, easier than they would ever run that fast.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I started cycling this spring because running got to be too hard on my feet (switched to 100% minimalist running this year), now I cycle every other day still to give my legs a rest.
    Is it as good a workout? Depends on how much you push. you have more latitude I find, you can rest (not pedal) for stretches of time, where running you'd have to stop.
    After a bike ride, I typically feel like going running. After a run, I feel like a shower.
    Still, I am going to keep going with both :-)
  • heybales
    Options
    I started cycling this spring because running got to be too hard on my feet (switched to 100% minimalist running this year), now I cycle every other day still to give my legs a rest.
    Is it as good a workout? Depends on how much you push. you have more latitude I find, you can rest (not pedal) for stretches of time, where running you'd have to stop.
    After a bike ride, I typically feel like going running. After a run, I feel like a shower.
    Still, I am going to keep going with both :-)

That's an excellent point too, and why they found that road riders had such great cardio systems.

Because each ride is almost automatically intervals. Easy down a hill, allows you to push harder going up.

But running, downhill is actually a tad harder than up and more stressful, no rest you might say to go harder, unless you just remember to slow down and make it intervals.
  • roanokejoe49
    Options

Does that help?

Not Necessarily. It depends on a number of factors, terrain, intensity, the runner's ability. For example, If I run in my LSD HR zone for 30 minutes on flat ground, I won't burn near as many calories as cycling hills in the zone? Why? Because the intensity of climbing is greater.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Does that help?

Totally depends on the intensity as you mentioned.

Absolutely no way to make that claim without knowing what the workload of each exercise is as to what burns more.

Fact is biking 14-16 mph, right around the speed that air resistance starts being a factor, level, is equal to running about 10:00/mile level.

I've had folks I've joined on trail rides maintain that speed, easier than they would ever run that fast.

True but to judge intensity on an even playing field if someone started from scratch running and riding they would have to ride a lot longer to burn the same calories as running if they put the same effort into both exercises, a 10 minute mile is slow and is in the beginner catergory, i wouldn't say 14-16mph on a bike is slow, also on a bike you have periods where you are not even using your legs

As a general rule you need to ride twice as long to burn the same calories as running, so the choice mainly comes down to if you prefer to run which is harder or cycle which is easier for longer
  • roanokejoe49
    Options
    As a general rule you need to ride twice as long to burn the same calories as running, so the choice mainly comes down to if you prefer to run which is harder or cycle which is easier for longer

A general rule? There isn't one. By your thinking, someone has to bike 52 miles to equal the output of someone doing a marathon? That's ridiculous.