Sometimes I go to the gym so I can eat more!!!

Options
emtjmac
emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
So, now you know my terrible secret. Does anyone else do this? I ellipticalled so I can eat an ice cream sandwich for dessert. For shame! Feel free to peruse my diary and comment as you see fit. I have nothing to hide!

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method, so I get the same 1700 calories every day. I've heard positive and negative responses about using exercise to eat more. For me, I find that it sets me up to see exercise as a punishment rather than something to do to be healthy.

I love lifting and running, but I'm not going to do extra to have a treat. I'll work it in. Whatever works for you though. :drinker:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. I'm 48 years old and 5'3" so my TDEE is somewhere around 1500-1600 calories. In order to lose weight (and very slowly) I can't eat more than about 1350, so if I don't want to be hungry all the time I have to exercise. I don't like being hungry -- it turns me into a cranky *****.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I do!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I feel bad about it, but I do it, too. I think that doing extra exercise so I can eat a dessert or drink on a Friday is WAY better than eating / drinking whatever I want, not doing the extra exercise and then probably not logging any of it. In the first scenario, at least I'm sticking to my calorie goal.
  • tldiet
    tldiet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been known to walk the dog for an extra hour just to have a 1/2 a Snickers. It's good for the dog and at least my net is intake is still within range. I figure whatever gets us there
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do it a lot......if I see I'm getting close to my daily calorie allotment or if I go over I hop on my exercise bike or my treadmill to make the numbers work in my favor.......I don't think there's anything wrong with doing this - its called being accountable for our actions n
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It depends- I'm pretty godo with my numbers- and I'm very conservative and tend to leave deficit- so if I go over I'm not crying about it.

But when I'm cutting at a really low number- i tend to do more work at the gym that bumps my deficit up... so yes- I've done it. LMAO.

i have no shame- I love food.

But I don't make a habit of it- it's too easy to make bad habits out of it.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories, so if I don't go to the gym I don't get to eat much. I can't say that I deliberately go to work off what I ate, but I do feel more relaxed about what I eat if I have a good work out. Today I got in only a walk and ended up 415 calories over my target because I went out to dinner. If I had done a kickboxing class, it would have taken care of it.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've done it. If I'm going to go over might as well do some exercise to compensate. Sometimes it's the push I need to do some exercise that day.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I will go for an extra long run on days I know I am going to be going over. A little bit of damage control is how I like to think of it.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My husband is one of these.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do the tdee too but its still weird on the weekends which are also my nonexercise days , so ive jumped on the exercise bike at home if im gonna eat more.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I tried doing it that way and I stayed at the same weight for 2 months.

Now I do the TDEE method and feel much better about my weight loss. I eat 1750 calories a day whether I exercise my butt off or not...
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its the only reason i run
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    I do it and don't feel the least bit guilty. I know it is healthy to exercise, but truth be told, I exercise so I can eat more.
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    That's me. Every day!! But it works for me and allows me to eat more, which is always a good thing! :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    not too often but yeah...let's say my husband and I both have around 80-100 cal remaining after dinner...it is not unheard of for us to do an hour of walking at brisk pace so that we can have ice cream without going over.
  • kendall916
    kendall916 Posts: 4,222 Member
    Options
    Mmhm, that's what I did in the beginning. Lately I've slacked on that bit due to this stubborn cough I have. I'm itching to go on the stationary bike again!
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I bike for beer. No worries :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Some will disagree but I believe that if this is not done in excess, there is nothing wrong with it. Honestly, I think it is sort of how it should be. That being said, there is no way we can really outrun our fork so excessive cardio (2-3 hours) to overcome a 2000 calorie binge is not going to work out well and does not address the real problem. However, if you are only trying to overcome an ice cream sandwich... go for it. Best wishes on every success.