The Homeless.

Options
2»

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would look locally. The best place to start is to ask someone in need about their experiences. Get personal. I volunteer and donate to P:ear, a resource center for homeless youth which grants them use of their supplies and studio to make and sell art. They also do job training and run a barista school, help encourage and support transient youths struggling with identity and security, help provide homing solutions and job references or internships, supply scholarship applications and informations, host workshops, and host events.

I never would have found this place if I hadn't talked to homeless street kids around Portland. They also told me about a few more underground resources and local businesses who do what they can to make resources available. A few grocery places leave day-old bread, etc out on carts near the dumpsters. They can't legally serve it, but they know people will dumpster dive in desperation anyways, so offerings like this happen, and the more fortunate of us who know about it will bring used backpacks or blankets and things occassionally because someone will scavange and make use of what would otherwise be garbage.

Within reason, assuming the person isn't a danger to approach, most people don't mind conversation.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I am very aware of what's available in my municipality, rules and regulations, accessibility etc. But it varies from community to community. If I'm ever unsure I usually suggest that people call their local crisis line. They usually keep up with local resources. Then, when you call the resource, ie. food bank, Salvation Army etc., they will be able to advise you on other programs. I sometimes volunteer for a program that has a kitchen in a bus. We cook and drive, then serve sandwiches and soup to whoever comes. This is a program that is run and funded by a local church. Our local food bank is aware of it and will refer people when asked.
    Short answer: it just takes a few phone calls and perhaps a little creativity to figure out the best way to help a family or an individual.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Before you give, you do want to look into the charity fully.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You really have to use google..

There are a lot of soup kitchen where I live and food pantries. Churches often have food pantries too.

You can also make sandwiches and hand them out yourself. Add socks, tooth paste/brush, bottled water and granola bars to the bags if you really want to help.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A good place to get info for what is needed is the schools. A local girls group talked to the counselors, found out kids were coming to school hungry and had a granola bar drive. Kids got fed and no names were used so no one had to worry about privacy issues.