Is it normal for PTs to insult you?

2»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    My chocolate diet - that makes a lot of sense! Yes, that's what I was wondering when I started this thread. Like do they tell everyone they need to lose weight. Glad it's nothing personal - whew!

Your welcome.:flowerforyou:
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    People don't stick with workout programs because they want to "get healthy." They stick with them because they want to look better. He's just trying to get you to identify a reason that will keep you coming back to the gym.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    I have around 15 pounds to lose and I was mortified when the PT at my gym asked me my goals, when I said it's just general health, he asked me, it's because you want to look better right? I know I may not be the best looking person out there but it's so embarrassing when people tell me I need to lose weight. This has happened before at other gyms.

If you're admittedly 15 lbs overweight, why do you want your PT to coddle you?
  • People don't stick with workout programs because they want to "get healthy." They stick with them because they want to look better. He's just trying to get you to identify a reason that will keep you coming back to the gym.

You're right...it's just very embarrassing to have it said out loud by people. Glad to know that it's a standard thing they say....felt so humiliated when I felt that he was implying that I personally need to change my appearance.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    I have around 15 pounds to lose and I was mortified when the PT at my gym asked me my goals, when I said it's just general health, he asked me, it's because you want to look better right? I know I may not be the best looking person out there but it's so embarrassing when people tell me I need to lose weight. This has happened before at other gyms.

Probably closer to 30 if we're being honest. People always underestimate the amount they want to/should lose.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    People don't stick with workout programs because they want to "get healthy." They stick with them because they want to look better. He's just trying to get you to identify a reason that will keep you coming back to the gym.

You're right...it's just very embarrassing to have it said out loud by people. Glad to know that it's a standard thing they say....felt so humiliated when I felt that he was implying that I personally need to change my appearance.

You need to be happy with yourself. Nobody can make you feel badly about yourself except you. Decide what your goals are and then attain them. If you think the trainer can help then use him.....If you don't then don't.
  • I have around 15 pounds to lose and I was mortified when the PT at my gym asked me my goals, when I said it's just general health, he asked me, it's because you want to look better right? I know I may not be the best looking person out there but it's so embarrassing when people tell me I need to lose weight. This has happened before at other gyms.

Probably closer to 30 if we're being honest. People always underestimate the amount they want to/should lose.

I'm 18 pounds more than the lowest healthy weight in my BMI range for my height. With that said I do have a huge battle of the bulge/waist area so I'm hoping that by exercising, I can improve this problem :)

BTW, sound advice! I should focus on RESULTS, not what PTs think. They won't be in my life forever!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I thought one of all of our goals is to look better. You DO want to look better, don't you? I sure do.

I understand that it may have embarrassed you, but I wouldn't consider that an insult.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Wait? Is this the same OP who posted a thread about 'looking fit' for their meeting with the PT? Ya know...the meeting at the coffee shop, and some babbling about pink faded yoga pants? The troll is strong with this one.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    That PT was just trying to get you to sign up for training, ignore and carry on! :)
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Wait? Is this the same OP who posted a thread about 'looking fit' for their meeting with the PT? Ya know...the meeting at the coffee shop, and some babbling about pink faded yoga pants? The troll is strong with this one.

it sure is. She/he isn't even trying now.......:yawn:
  • I thought one of all of our goals is to look better. You DO want to look better, don't you? I sure do.

I understand that it may have embarrassed you, but I wouldn't consider that an insult.

Yes, I definitely want to look better. I just find it incredibly embarrassing when people call me out on the fact that my appearance sure could use some improvement, haha >< So many times gym staff or PTs ask me if I want to lose weight when I've told them that I exercise for the sake of my health....

Lizzie - yes I did post about that as I'm quite self conscious - this is another PT that I may be using in the future after talking with him. I'm not a troll.

Rhoule - I like your spirit! Thanks :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Absolutely not normal. My PT is awesome. Even when I feel embarrassed by my weight, he has always been nothing but encouraging. Even when I stopped working with him and gained weight, and then returned post-injury, nothing but encouragement. Find a different trainer. Good luck!
  • I have around 15 pounds to lose and I was mortified when the PT at my gym asked me my goals, when I said it's just general health, he asked me, it's because you want to look better right? I know I may not be the best looking person out there but it's so embarrassing when people tell me I need to lose weight. This has happened before at other gyms.

Absolutely not normal. My PT is awesome. Even when I feel embarrassed by my weight, he has always been nothing but encouraging. Even when I stopped working with him and gained weight, and then returned post-injury, nothing but encouragement. Find a different trainer. Good luck!

Awwww sounds like a really good guy! :) Thanks :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Awwww sounds like a really good guy! :) Thanks :)

I hope you find someone you can work well with. The important thing is if he/she can motivate you through the times you want to give up.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    That PT was just trying to get you to sign up for training, ignore and carry on! :)

I can never figure out how trainers come up with their sales strategy. My husband and I had a joint training session for free when we first started at our gym (I lift at home and no longer use the gym, thankfully), he tried to reel my husband in by flattering him - he told him what great shape he was in and his stupid body fat thing said that he had 4% body fat. Ha! Yeah, he's slim, but he's definitely got more than 4% body fat. On the other hand, he told me I had 35% body fat and was in the "at risk" category - I was 5'5" 140 lbs. Uh, no. He didn't get any money from us, and he wouldn't have even if he said all the right things. I find personal trainers to be a waste of money.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    I'm working out to look and feel good.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    I thought one of all of our goals is to look better. You DO want to look better, don't you? I sure do.

Yes, I definitely want to look better. I just find it incredibly embarrassing when people call me out on the fact that my appearance sure could use some improvement, haha >< So many times gym staff or PTs ask me if I want to lose weight when I've told them that I exercise for the sake of my health....

Lizzie - yes I did post about that as I'm quite self conscious - this is another PT that I may be using in the future after talking with him. I'm not a troll.

Rhoule - I like your spirit! Thanks :)

I think you just took the comment too personally. The PT probably was not saying "Ewww, gross, your appearance could use work." He was simply picking up on the fact that YOU would like your body to look better. Most people who go to a PT want their physical appearance to improve! If you just wanted to get healthier you wouldn't need to spend money on a PT. You could just eat healthier foods, move a bit more and get more rest.