Almond Milk-who knew?!

Options
I really like the unsweetened vanilla version!! AND it has ZERO sugar.............ZERO!!
Did I mention only 40 cals for one cup?

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Tried it my self. was ok, but I ama not a big fan of Almonds
  • ItsJustVicki
    Options
    Ohhh!! I need to try that ;)
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Tried it my self. was ok, but I ama not a big fan of Almonds

I don't like almonds either, but I like this :)
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    It is the best!! I love it!! I have the sweetened right now, and its pretty sweet, prefer unsweetened for sure
  • nancyggg
    nancyggg Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I switched over to it too. My daughter is Vegan and she showed it to me. I really like it.
  • MomBo
    MomBo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bought some for the first time this week (try to pick up something new every time I shop to change things up) and really like the Almond milk. I use it one my cereal. Very good. I bought the original...may try the vanilla next time. I like the idea that it keeps for so long. Skim (which I generally use) seems to spoil on me. This works great and has a good long life!!!
  • brownspicegirl
    Options
    What is the name brand that you guys are using? and where can I find it?
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love it! Always get the regular unsweetened myself . :drinker:
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am intersted...what is the is almond milk you are all talking about? Does it taste like almonds? I eat almonds after I workout and love them. I hate milk , but can use it in making food and cereal. I would love to learn more?
  • ricksgurl
    Options
    I use "Silk Soy Milk-Almond flavor"...I've never tried the unsweetened but the regular(?) is only 60 calories per serving I believe...it's really good. My OB/GYN suggested it for pre-menopausal women because soy products boost estrogen levels and can ward off MILD hot flashes and other symptoms. Good stuff!! :drinker:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I use "Silk Soy Milk-Almond flavor"...I've never tried the unsweetened but the regular(?) is only 60 calories per serving I believe...it's really good. My OB/GYN suggested it for pre-menopausal women because soy products boost estrogen levels and can ward off MILD hot flashes and other symptoms. Good stuff!! :drinker:

I suggest you google "dangers of soy." One of the dangers is that consumption of soy products by women in your stage of life can increase the risk of breast cancer. Also soy has phytic acid, which can interfere with the body's assimilation of calcium and other minerals. Here is a link to of many websites outlining the dangers:

http://www.naturalhealthstrategies.com/dangers-of-soy.html

The other problem we have in the US is that thanks to Monsanto, the big chemical giant, there is a stranglehold over soy production in the country, so any product you purchase with soy in it has genetically-altered soybeans in it. I personally prefer to avoid GMO products. I place them in the same category as the growth hormones given to commercially raised cows and chickens--something to avoid.

When I was seeing my OB/GYN prior to the hysterectomy that I had, due to uterine fibroids, she cautioned against using soy products to counteract symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, etc., due to the increased cancer risk.

IMO, you might discuss this with your doctor, and if you don't like the response you get, change practitioners. Regardless, if you like the "almond-flavored" soy milk, just get the real thing and eliminate the risk that soy can pose to your health.

Good luck!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I am intersted...what is the is almond milk you are all talking about? Does it taste like almonds? I eat almonds after I workout and love them. I hate milk , but can use it in making food and cereal. I would love to learn more?

There is a Blue Diamond unsweetened version that is shelf stable and you can find it in the natural food sections of stores like Kroger or Meijer. There is also a refrigerated version of the Blue Diamond and Silk has a Pure Almond Unsweetened Almond Milk that is w/ the Silk/ Soymilks in the dairy case. They are delicious, low in calories, and a great sub for cow's milk. HTH!
  • verbifyvenus
    Options
    What is the name brand that you guys are using? and where can I find it?

Blue Diamond. I found it in Kroger in the refrigerated section near the vegetables in the organics section.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I mix a cup of the Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate almond milk into a scoop of Shakeology for a yummy shake. It's my morning snack and I really look forward to having it every day!
  • verbifyvenus
    Options

I suggest you google "dangers of soy." One of the dangers is that consumption of soy products by women in your stage of life can increase the risk of breast cancer. Also soy has phytic acid, which can interfere with the body's assimilation of calcium and other minerals. Here is a link to of many websites outlining the dangers:

http://www.naturalhealthstrategies.com/dangers-of-soy.html

The other problem we have in the US is that thanks to Monsanto, the big chemical giant, there is a stranglehold over soy production in the country, so any product you purchase with soy in it has genetically-altered soybeans in it. I personally prefer to avoid GMO products. I place them in the same category as the growth hormones given to commercially raised cows and chickens--something to avoid.

When I was seeing my OB/GYN prior to the hysterectomy that I had, due to uterine fibroids, she cautioned against using soy products to counteract symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes, etc., due to the increased cancer risk.

IMO, you might discuss this with your doctor, and if you don't like the response you get, change practitioners. Regardless, if you like the "almond-flavored" soy milk, just get the real thing and eliminate the risk that soy can pose to your health.

Good luck!!

I agree :smile: I would recommend watching Food Inc as well for more info.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It is amazing in oatmeal!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love almond breeze vanilla or original unsweetened.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    almond dream - unsweetened. Use in my nutrition drink and my oatmeal. I never drink it straight though, I've never tried it because I rarely drank milk before except if I had chocolate chip cookies. And I haven't had cookies in a long long time!!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I now use almond milk. Has less calories (60) than even 1%.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, especially the Unsweetened Vanilla flavor. I love it in my coffee in the morning, and whenever I have protein shakes. Try it on breakfast cereal, or almost anywhere you use regular milk. I've never been an oatmeal eater, but I might have to try it with almond milk. Thanks for the idea!