Almond Milk-who knew?!

Options

Replies

• DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just recently tried almond milk and I am in LOVE! I love the vanilla and the chocolate. I eat my cereal with the vanilla and I use both the vanilla and the chocolate in my smoothies. I wish it didn't have so much sodium and all dairy is typically high in sodium I hear so I'll stick with it. My digestive system seems so much more happy since I switched from regular dairy. I have always LOVED milk so this was an easy switch.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drank a lot of of the Almond Breeze vanilla unsweetened when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. It fit into my carb count much better than regular milk and I could stomach it first thing in the morning. To me, it tastes like butter pecan ice cream! I buy it every once in a while now as it is pretty expensive - it's still a nice treat!
  • kasandraaa
    Options
    I use Almond Breeze, unsweetened vanilla... OMG it IS amazing!
    I never really cared for milk too much, but since going vegan I've picked up almond milk! Its great!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I tried the Silk Soymilk but I just didn't care for it. I saw a coupon for the Almond milk at my grocer and gave it a shot and never looked back!
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! Almond Breeze is the best brand that I have found (their version is more creamy and less calories than others that I have tried). Have you tried the chocolate almond milk yet? YUM.
  • GeauxDonielle
    GeauxDonielle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    found recipe to make at home - now I need to whip up a batch and try :drinker:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'll have to find the unsweetend kind! I tried the regular vanilla almond milk (90 calories) and I really didn't like it. I felt like I was drinking a melted milk shake it was so sweet. Bleck.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    Almond Breeze was the first non dairy milk I tried. I really like it. I dont much care for cow's milk and it dont much care for me. I started getting it for creamer for my morning coffee. Now I use it in my occasional cereal snack.
  • mandydanyele
    Options
    I put this in my cereal today =] I couldn't even tell the difference. I use Blue Diamond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla!
  • resa13
    resa13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk, but when I read the carton today it said the calcium source is calicium carbonate, which is supposedly harder to absorb. Does anyone have any input on this?
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    Oh, its horrible! I was hoping to like it because it was 0 sugar but, it's not my thing. Definitely an aquired taste. I had the Silk unsweetened one and Blue Diamond Vanilla Unsweetened. Disliked both.
  • sharper43
    Options
    For a long time, I was drinking soy milk and had all sorts of issues. I found out that it was the soy was causing so many issues with anyone that has thyroid problems. (If you have hypothyroidism or any other thyroid problems, you should watch out on the soy you consume!) It was then that I found Almond Breeze a year ago, and I absolutely love it! But I went back to 1% milk so I could get more protein.

If you like almond milk, you should also try hemp milk! It's so good! It's a little pricey, but its full of Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids. Try it
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    oh, I must try!
  • sharper43
    Options
    To me, it tastes like butter pecan ice cream!

Exactly!! Never thought of that before, but it really does!
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love Almond Milk! 40 calories and healthy alternative to dairy!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love Silk Almond I get the plain unsweetened but it has 60 calories. Yummy! The dark chocolate one is a nice treat sometimes.

I first got used to Silk Soy when my daughter had to have it because she is mildly lactose intolerant(same as me) I used to drink skim because I could handle it better most of my pregnancy I drank skim. Then she needed soy so I'd get whole for her dad and soy for us. I like only the plain flavored soy. I did not like the vanilla, very vanilla or chocolate. Strange I know. I was hesitant to try the Silk Almond Dark Chocolate because of that but I really liked it.

I had tried almond breeze when dd was trying out different brands and kinds and I didn't like it at all it felt chalky to me no matter how much I shook it. Silk is perfect to the last drop when I shake well before pouring.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I use "Silk Soy Milk-Almond flavor"...I've never tried the unsweetened but the regular(?) is only 60 calories per serving I believe...it's really good. My OB/GYN suggested it for pre-menopausal women because soy products boost estrogen levels and can ward off MILD hot flashes and other symptoms. Good stuff!! :drinker:

Silk has an actual almond milk(came out a couple years back) its not "flavored" almond that I know of its actually almonds.

I'd like to try coconut and hemp milk one time. I haven't got them yet though.
  • sophidesign
    Options
    What about as a substitute for milk in coffee? I currently use skim milk and honey in my coffee, but maybe switching to the almond milk I could omit the honey?
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Blue diamond unsweetened is my fav. tried it a year ago with my Body By Vi shakes and fell in love with it! i use it in my prot shakes too. add some ice, prot powder n milk.....oh what a great alternative to a great tasting milkshake! i switch between it and fat free milk......
  • princesshoagie
    princesshoagie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really like Silk's Coconut Milk. It's not obnoxiously coconut tasting, but it goes GREAT on cereal and it's a nice treat stirred with chocolate syrup. It also worked well in my coconut rice recipe. I haven't tried the vanilla version, but the plain coconut milk is good.