Is there a place for low weight/hugh reps?

Options
That was part of my physical recovery a few years ago, and although I prefer high weight/low reps, I've found this has a place when I need some cheering up (lol I know that makes no sense). But I do think it's a good part of an overall workout plan. Yes or no?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    depending on your goals. if endurance is what your after then id say low weight high rep is ideal, but if your goal is strength or muscle gain high weight low rep is better

pretty good article from mens fitness about this;
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/your-ideal-rep-range
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sure if you want muscle endurance go for it.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Sure. I do this with all accessory lifts around 4 workouts a month, and I do it with certain accessory lifts in every workout. I work with weights that are closer to 50% of my lifting max and do 15-20 reps instead of the usual 5-10.

Lots and lots of bodybuilders use a 12-20 rep range, even natural builders, so why not us? It isn't all about strength. Sometimes it is about the visual impact. I use this rep range for bench and incline bench because i'm trying to pump the muscles in my chest wall. I recently hit a PR on bench, but dropping the weights and pumping out the reps has given me the best visual impact. After lots of reading, I've basically learned that a 15-20 rep range is great to meet my goals. And yes, you do gain strength in this rep range. You won't be pumped and weak. That's nonsense.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

In addition, low weight / high reps can also trigger hypertrophy so it's not just for muscular endurance.

Beware of what is evangelised by the Church of Heavy Lifting.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I usually do a high rep workout every couple of weeks or so, working in the 12-15 rep range (which is high rep for me). I believe it's always a good idea to mix things up - doing different lifts, rep schemes, rep tempos, etc. Working in the 12-15 range is good for hypertrophy/muscle size and is good for a pump, which is very important because it sends blood, nutrients, and oxygen to the muscle (plus it looks good :smile: ). I don't bother with anything above 15 reps because I have no interest in building muscle endurance. So that said, what rep range you work in depends on your goals.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This article changed my approach to strength training:

http://trainingscience.net/?page_id=471

Muscle Factor Training

Summary

The old adage is that heavy weights / low reps build strength while light weights / high reps build endurance and a review of the research shows that the adage is basically true. However, while that adage is basically correct it does not reveal the complete picture. Strength increases from reps as high as 150 but if you are only doing one rep range then lower reps increase strength the most.

A combination of both high and low reps – what I call Muscle Factor Training – has been shown to increase strength significantly more than a traditional low rep, periodized type training program. For those who are most interested in maximizing muscular strength and size this finding is significant and should be seriously considered when designing a strength training program.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    100% there is a place for it. Have you ever heard of German Volume Training?

Jeez that routine gives you big muscles, provided you're eating in surplus obviously. It's dead boring though but the best gains I've ever gotten.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

In addition, low weight / high reps can also trigger hypertrophy so it's not just for muscular endurance.

This ^^
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I do it to train muscle endurance - it's nice to be able to do 100 pushups in a row for example. Or when I feel like doing cardio while lifting - high reps, low rest, supersets. But for strength and muscle gains it is not the most optimal.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Needs more context before anyone can provide a qualified answer.

1. How low we talkin?
    2. How high we talkin?
    3. What are the goals we're hoping to achieve?

There's value in a wide range of modalities but little to none at the extremes. A workout consisting of 30 rep 3 pound weights is just as ineffective as one consisting of all 1RMs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You can say "without a shadow of a doubt" even if we're talking about 50 reps of 2 pound curls with a goal of increasing strength or maintaining bone density? Interesting.

Beware what is envangelised by the Church of People That Don't Know What They're Talking About.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm interested in the responses...
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    In for Hugh reps.

mutant-strength-hugh-jackmans-wolverine-workout-plan_c.jpg

hugh-jackman-workout%5B1%5D.jpg
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    In for Hugh reps.

mmmhm
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes - low weight / high rep appears to be an effective way to stimulate muscle growth. One study, published in 2010, concluded that higher-rep / lower-weight training was actually more effective at stimulating muscle growth - when performed to muscle failure

They found that, of three groups in the study, those who performed reps using 30% of their 1-rep-max weight (1RM), all the way to failure, stimulated more protein synthesis and anabolic signaling than groups that lifted 90% of their 1RM to failure, and those who lifted 30% of their 1RM to 90% failure.

So if, for a given exercise, the maximum weight you can lift for 1 rep is 100 lb, then lifting 30 lb to muscle failure would line up with what these researchers found to be the most effective.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0012033

Good luck!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Its has a place in any program (in moderation IMHO), especially if your goal is to build muscle.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    In for Hugh reps.

I thought the other responses were great until I saw this. :heart:

My goals were strength, but because I've been drinking a lot of beer, I need some weight loss. lol I love my arms/shoulders but they could always look better.

Thank you so much everyone. :drinker: <!~~~~ that water!! really =P
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Needs more context before anyone can provide a qualified answer.

1. How low we talkin?
    2. How high we talkin?
    3. What are the goals we're hoping to achieve?

There's value in a wide range of modalities but little to none at the extremes. A workout consisting of 30 rep 3 pound weights is just as ineffective as one consisting of all 1RMs.

Nobody is thinking of working out for 50 reps with 3lb weights man, stop talking s*ite!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    In for Hugh reps.

If only he'd do legs...

to the question: yes it has a place

but remember to train legs!