Big Events you are getting ready for?

Options
CoolDad67
CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
I think that upcoming events are a big motivation for people to get in shape and maybe lose a few pounds, or many in some cases such as mine.

I haven't really thought of it specifically for me until I was letting my mind wander (it does that often) last night.

Next year will mark my 20th wedding anniversary as well as my 30th class reunion. It sure would be nice for me to be at my goal weight for those events. I'm sure my wife would like me back to the size I was when we met. Plus, it would be good for my self-confidence to be fit when I see my classmates.

I have a long way to go with weight; but, there's a lot of time to get there. 1 year, 52 weeks, to get to my target. That is only 2 lbs per week. With the proper motivation and accountability to myself and others I will do it.

I think I've found another motivator for me.

What event(s) are or will help motivate you?

Also feel free to join me on my quest. Send me a FR if you wish.

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    My Disney cruise in September. Can't wait!
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    EDC Las Vegas 2014
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Clearing the woods to build a pole barn and shouse (pole barn/house) on my new farm. Groundbreaking tomorrow.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Headed to the beach house, want to walk around in just a pair of shorts.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Next summer marks my 20 year high school reunion.

I am thinking about growing out my hair for that...I usually keep it like 1-2 inches long and have already grown it out a bit for me but not sure if I'll be able to stand it for the whole year or not, lol...I am a short hair fan these days. Just feel like changing things up a bit.

As far as diet/weight loss efforts, I didn't do any of mine with the reunion (or even my wedding last October) in mind. It's a separate issue entirely, for me. I weighed around 240 lb in high school and 260 lb at my 10 yr reunion and everyone actually thought I'd LOST weight by our 10 year...I got no fewer than a dozen compliments...lol (attribute it to better fitting clothes and confidence - as well as my former classmates going from skinny teens to average or larger adults themselves...made me seem a little more normal haha).

I'll be in the 170s at least by next summer (183 right now) so I'll look different at my reunion for sure...haven't been that size since middle school.
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Benidorm in 9 days but more importantly my 50th next year, I want to be fit and fab lol!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I'm going on vacation in Orlando in October. I'll hit goal way before that, though. It's not motivating me to get into shape - my motivation for getting into shape is to look hot in October, December, March, etc. After that, though, I'll probably have a big pregnant belly getting in the way of my hotness.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My wedding. I badly want to be a bada$$ bride. Look for pictures of me showing off my guns in a veil and dress...

But I was motivated before my wedding. And I'll be motivated after.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Leaving for Disney in 16 days. Total last minute trip and totally not prepared.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    couple of weddings coming up, other than that getting ready for going back to school come september
  • at_night_bookstore
    at_night_bookstore Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Barcelona
    Copenhagen
    10daysoff
    Tomorrowland Weekend II
    for now...
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hello!!

Nice to know all those motivations...I am getting married in November so..it has motivated me a little bit...also I wanna look fit and hot during the festival season that starts in September...
  • Primal_Warrior_
    Primal_Warrior_ Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    Never done anything before..... But training for....

Spartan Sprint
    Tough Mudder
    Survival of the Fittest
    Royal Parks Half Marathon
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I turn 30 next August. I made a 30 before 30 list of things I want to accomplish. Ex: Learn the metric system, do 10 pull ups, run an obstacle course style race, try any/all the new foods I come across, get that 6 pack I have always wanted. Not everything is fitness related but quite a few are so I'm always pushing.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My wedding. I badly want to be a bada$$ bride. Look for pictures of me showing off my guns in a veil and dress...

But I was motivated before my wedding. And I'll be motivated after.

That, my friend, is cool.

Too many brides out there "sweating for the wedding" with only short-term success in mind, IMO
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Dirty Dash in August

Oh, and my divorce.
  • JonnyMacAwesome
    JonnyMacAwesome Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My daughter's first birthday - in July

Oh, and my wife's birthday, also in July.

July is a broke month for me now. :(
  • Amy3935
    Amy3935 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have my friend's wedding that I'm a bridesmaid for in three weeks, then my cousin's wedding in September then my brother's wedding in November! Have set mini goals for all of them.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Annual, out of state work trip next week

Key West trip with girlfriends in 4 weeks

My wedding in 4 months!