What should I wear to look fit?

Options
Okay, this might sound silly, but please humor me, girls.

I'm soon meeting up with a personal trainer to discuss my fitness, etc, and if I want to start using his services. And I am embarrassed for him to see my body, even though I am just 18 pounds over the lowest healthy weight in my BMI range, I have definitely gotten comments on how my waist/stomach is thick and big. People have said that my face is too small for my middle body etc. I literally get at least 1 comment a week from a stranger.

With that said I'd be mortified for the PT to see me in that light. Yes, I know he's a fitness professional and has seen a lot, but I really don't feel comfortable with people thinking, Oh gee, she sure is overweight, she sure has a thick middle, especially someone I'm going to have to trust and have a working relationship with. I want to be seen as someone who is fit (and I do exercise every day, currently doing swimming 1-2 hours a day) and just trying to improve their health.

So what should I wear so that my flabby, bulgy stomach isn't obvious? It's important to me! Thanks in advance, girls!

Replies

• happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would think you would want the PT to see what you need to work on!
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    I would think you would want the PT to see what you need to work on!

I honestly don't feel comfortable with the PT or anyone else I am close to, thinking I am overweight - this is just one of my hangups - but if we can work on overall fitness, I'm sure I will slim down...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wear something that makes you feel comfortable.

if that's sweats and tank- wear that.

if it's workout capris and a big shirt- wear that.

wear what you can move in- and that is comfortable to you.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    wear something that makes you feel comfortable.

if that's sweats and tank- wear that.

if it's workout capris and a big shirt- wear that.

wear what you can move in- and that is comfortable to you.

^This.

And it goes for any outfit, any time. You look best in what makes you the most confident.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants that fit well on the hips/waist and a large v-neck t-shirt. He doesn't care how big you are; he cares about getting paid and about you following his directions.

Get a three pack of Hanes v-necks (v-necks are just flattering!) in a larger size. Hanes T's are comfy and soft.

Remember, comfort is key. And wear a fitted tank underneath if you want to hold in some of the jiggle.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    I do have a pair of yoga pants but they got mixed in the wash and now they're pink hehe.

I usually alternate between the same 3 blouses...I guess I'll wear the one that I like the best....

And I could wear perfume and do a nice makeup look to distract him from looking at my body.
  • rak173
    rak173 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Oh dear! If it makes you feel better put on some light makeup and light perfume, even do your hair! Wear something comfortable. Got a nice pair of sneakers? They always make me feel a little cuter when working out. Don't focus on the PT thinking your overweight, focus on getting the best out of your $ and toning those problem areas.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    Oh dear! If it makes you feel better put on some light makeup and light perfume, even do your hair! Wear something comfortable. Got a nice pair of sneakers? They always make me feel a little cuter when working out. Don't focus on the PT thinking your overweight, focus on getting the best out of your $ and toning those problem areas.

Thank you! :) Yes I'm incredibly self conscious around people I might be having as a "constant" in my life! We're not working out the first time, just meeting so he can ask me general health questions...
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    I do have a pair of yoga pants but they got mixed in the wash and now they're pink hehe.

I usually alternate between the same 3 blouses...I guess I'll wear the one that I like the best....

And I could wear perfume and do a nice makeup look to distract him from looking at my body.

Don't do your makeup to work out! It's bad for your skin, and it's silly - hopefully you'll be sweating it off anyway.

I'm in the crowd that says to wear whatever you are comfortable in, and rest assured that your PT is looking to HELP you, not judge you.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am a physical therapist and I never look at my patient's bodies like that…just what we are working on…..
    Unless he was really hot I probably would look like that!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Thank you! :) Yes I'm incredibly self conscious around people I might be having as a "constant" in my life! We're not working out the first time, just meeting so he can ask me general health questions...

If that's the case, then wear whatever you feel good wearing - full business attire or jeans and a favorite flattering top. I wouldn't overdo it with the perfume personally but makeup's good if it makes you feel confident.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I think you should wear what you are comfortable in, but I also think you need to get some perspective here...

Your trainer doesn't care what you look like. In fact, if you were already perfect, he/she would be out of a job. Honestly, if you can't be yourself and look like yourself around your trainer, you are going to set yourself up for failure. Getting in shape takes time - are you planning on doing your hear and wearing makeup (terrible for your skin, BTW) every time you go to the gym? Really??

I go to the gym at 6:15am, bed-head, makeup free and all. I'm sure I make some of the weirdest faces when I'm lifting. I also pretty sure I look like I'm dying when I'm on my 100th burpee of the day. It doesn't matter though. I'm there to look pretty. Women are pressured to look pretty ALL THE TIME. We don't need it at the gym, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So what should I wear so that my flabby, bulgy stomach isn't obvious? It's important to me! Thanks in advance, girls!

Spanx
    even though I am just 18 pounds over the lowest healthy weight in my BMI range, I have definitely gotten comments on how my waist/stomach is thick and big. People have said that my face is too small for my middle body etc. I literally get at least 1 comment a week from a stranger.
    Unprovoked comments from strangers? Or are you asking them to critique your body. If the comments are unprovoked, I think you need to seriously consider your hang out or neighborhood.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options

Spanx
    even though I am just 18 pounds over the lowest healthy weight in my BMI range, I have definitely gotten comments on how my waist/stomach is thick and big. People have said that my face is too small for my middle body etc. I literally get at least 1 comment a week from a stranger.
    Unprovoked comments from strangers? Or are you asking them to critique your body. If the comments are unprovoked, I think you need to seriously consider your hang out or neighborhood.

Yes, like at the store or at work customers have said it...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Do NOT wear perfume - please! A lot of people are allergic to perfumes and/or have exercise enduced asthma. Be considerate.

Wear makeup if you want but you realize that's not going to look too good once you start sweating right?

Who cares if your yoga pants turned pink? How will anyone know that wasn't the original color? And you're just going to get them all sweaty anyway...

Someone revoke my girl card...I just don't get stuff like this. Also my troll sensor is tingling...
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    Do NOT wear perfume - please! A lot of people are allergic to perfumes and/or have exercise enduced asthma. Be considerate.

Wear makeup if you want but you realize that's not going to look too good once you start sweating right?

Who cares if your yoga pants turned pink? How will anyone know that wasn't the original color? And you're just going to get them all sweaty anyway...

Someone revoke my girl card...I just don't get stuff like this. Also my troll sensor is tingling...

We're just meeting at a coffee shop for an initial consultation. Well the yoga pants are black with pink stains so they look yucky.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options

Going by this post and others for this new poster...perfume, excessive exercise etc I would say this is maya, catlady, bright crystal / Crystal bright reincarnated.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    Don't think I'm exercising excessively. I swim 1-2 hours a day, but I've always liked swimming.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Spanx

Yes, like at the store or at work customers have said it...

So, you are just walking through a store, minding your own business, and some stranger walks up and says your face is too small and/or your waist is too thick? And this happens on a weekly basis?