What should I wear to look fit?

Options

Replies

• _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You're 18 lbs over the lowest healthy weight for your height. So, if you're 5'4", that means you weigh about 128 lbs. And you're worried that your personal trainer is going to think, "wow, she sure is overweight." If you're only 18 lbs over the lowest healthy weight for your height, you're considered in the healthy weight range. I don't think the issue is that you have a "thick middle" - I think the issue is that you have some serious body image issues. You'd need a therapist to work that out, not slimming workout clothes. I'm 95% sure you're lying about getting comments from customers about your body.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Also my troll sensor is tingling...

Alarm bells going off here
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    Translation: "I want to bang my PT so what should I wear?"

LOL, nope...I'm serious about fitness, it'll cost me money, besides, he's 50 years old. Never met him before this.

Bcattoes, it's generally by customers but sometimes at a store a nosy clerk will say something.

Ireed, people can be a healthy weight in general but have their stomach/waist area as a problem area. If you think I'm lying, well, that's up to you, but I see no reason to lie, how can I get responses to my actual situation if I'm just making stuff up? What's the point of that?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    This:
    suns_out_guns_out_sleeveless_shirt-r8ab3a46217864a899db97227e324aa63_8naxu_512.jpg
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    This:
    suns_out_guns_out_sleeveless_shirt-r8ab3a46217864a899db97227e324aa63_8naxu_512.jpg

Haha nice :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You're 18 lbs over the lowest healthy weight for your height. So, if you're 5'4", that means you weigh about 128 lbs. And you're worried that your personal trainer is going to think, "wow, she sure is overweight." If you're only 18 lbs over the lowest healthy weight for your height, you're considered in the healthy weight range. I don't think the issue is that you have a "thick middle" - I think the issue is that you have some serious body image issues. You'd need a therapist to work that out, not slimming workout clothes. I'm 95% sure you're lying about getting comments from customers about your body.

Wow. I didn't put this all together. Thank you for breaking this down.

OP - she's right. You are a healthy weight. I'm confused as to why you would be so self conscious that you can't meet your 50 year old trainer for coffee without so much stress. I'm sure a lot of it is in your head...

Also, I'm 5'4 and 136 pounds. No one has ever come up to me to comment on my body, except for men at bars who feel a need to comment on my butt. And even that doesn't happen to often. Are you pulling these comments out of people? Where do you live? It just doesn't make any sense.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options
    OP According to a post by you on another thread you've already met the trainer but here you say you haven't
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    So what should I wear so that my flabby, bulgy stomach isn't obvious? It's important to me! Thanks in advance, girls!

Spanx
    even though I am just 18 pounds over the lowest healthy weight in my BMI range, I have definitely gotten comments on how my waist/stomach is thick and big. People have said that my face is too small for my middle body etc. I literally get at least 1 comment a week from a stranger.
    Unprovoked comments from strangers? Or are you asking them to critique your body. If the comments are unprovoked, I think you need to seriously consider your hang out or neighborhood.
    Seriously! Who are these people?! I would tell them to fukc off!!! Do what you have to do, the hell with what others think, or what you think they think lol.... The pt should be a professional, and will not be judgmental. Just get started, you will see improvements over time, guarantee it, just stay consistent!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

I guarantee anything that anyone wears to "look fit" does not fool a personal trainer or a human, for that matter. The way to look fitter is to mind your diet and exercise. No tank top and spandex combination will create any meaningful difference. The best thing you can do is wear something that fits.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    And I could wear perfume and do a nice makeup look to distract him from looking at my body.

You're kidding right? No, I'm totally serious on my question. I know that comment is a joke, right?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options
    [quote
    And I could wear perfume and do a nice makeup look to distract him from looking at my body.
    You're kidding right? No, I'm totally serious on my question. I know that comment is a joke, right?

I imagine she is quite serious if I am correct I my assumption of her previous identities....maya daya, catlady, bright crystal...

Won't we long before we hear about her dog that isn't her dog and the wine taster she recently attended wearing said perfume...oh and her fashion blog.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options

OP - she's right. You are a healthy weight. I'm confused as to why you would be so self conscious that you can't meet your 50 year old trainer for coffee without so much stress. I'm sure a lot of it is in your head...

Also, I'm 5'4 and 136 pounds. No one has ever come up to me to comment on my body, except for men at bars who feel a need to comment on my butt. And even that doesn't happen to often. Are you pulling these comments out of people? Where do you live? It just doesn't make any sense.

In my culture it's much more acceptable to comment on people's weight/appearance and thin = beautiful. I don't necessarily subscribe to this viewpoint, but many do, and so the fact that my stomach is quite flabby often gets comments.

Tiptoe - not sure what point you're trying to make, but that was personal training at a gym. Now I'm looking for a personal trainer to work with in the long term.

Thanks Caesar! :)

British - Good point!

ValGogo - not joking...I really do feel quite self conscious...
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

In my culture it's much more acceptable to comment on people's weight/appearance and thin = beautiful. I don't necessarily subscribe to this viewpoint, but many do, and so the fact that my stomach is quite flabby often gets comments.

Tiptoe - not sure what point you're trying to make, but that was personal training at a gym. Now I'm looking for a personal trainer to work with in the long term.

Thanks Caesar! :)

British - Good point!

ValGogo - not joking...I really do feel quite self conscious...

What culture is that?
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    Asian culture.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA, Love this!

The best way to LOOK fit is to BE fit. And if you're honest about your body today, you'll appreciate your transformation that much more tomorrow. I realize you're self conscious, but you just have to get over that. Wear comfortable clothes that you can actually work out in! Not something too tight you can hardly move or something so heavy that you're sweating buckets.
    This:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Asian culture.

Asia is a big place with multiple cultures. The cultural norms of Siberia differ from those in Cambodia.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Options
    Asian culture.

In Taiwan?
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    HAHAHA, Love this!

The best way to LOOK fit is to BE fit. And if you're honest about your body today, you'll appreciate your transformation that much more tomorrow. I realize you're self conscious, but you just have to get over that. Wear comfortable clothes that you can actually work out in! Not something too tight you can hardly move or something so heavy that you're sweating buckets.
    This:

Thanks. Difficult to change my hangups overnight. We're not working out the first time. I want to talk to him first and see if I'm convinced to pay a premium ;) He charges quite a bit haha.

I'm in Korea :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I suggest finding a therapist to work on your body image issues with.
  • Transatlantic20145
    Options
    I suggest finding a therapist to work on your body image issues with.

I don't think I need that much...just want to lose some weight and look fit :)