Calories vs Nutrition

Options
13»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insights :flowerforyou:

Yes, it would blow my mind to know what is on organic fruit. I thought regular apples were ok, then I read about all the pesticides on them, now you're saying organic has it, too?! Is there no clean food?

I guess it depends on what your goals are, too. Mine has changed from "losing weight" (calories) to "eating healthy" (nutrition).

No, there are no "clean" food. There is no one definition of "clean" food.

Ask someone following Paleo and they will tell you that whole grains and dairy are not "clean". And you should eat free range meat.
    Ask someone following Eat to Live and they will tell that meat is not "clean", even free range but whole grains are.
    Ask someone following The Clean Eating Diet a la Tosca Reno and lean meats and whole grains are "clean".

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1309716-calories-vs-nutrition

To answer your OP - yes, i count calories and track my nutrition intake. I try to get most of my daily intake from whole and nutrient dense foods and I am not afraid of processed foods. ("processed" is another one of those words that doesn't really have a clear meaning within this discussion). I read labels. I am not afraid of sugar.
    It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I was a "clean eater" (Tosca Reno style). I've come to see the other side.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    It would just blow your mind to know you could be healthy and enjoy enjoy a cupcake, wouldn't it?

I had a homemade banana cupcake the other day (maybe 10 days or 2 weeks ago.) Novel thought, huh!

So I had a treat, and some fruit at the same time. Sue me, op! My physician today was thrilled with my weight loss and my fasting blood sugar and cholesterol were PERFECT!! Not that they were bad before, but I wanted to be proactive about the weight I put on after a work-related back injury.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insights :flowerforyou:

Yes, it would blow my mind to know what is on organic fruit. I thought regular apples were ok, then I read about all the pesticides on them, now you're saying organic has it, too?! Is there no clean food?

I guess it depends on what your goals are, too. Mine has changed from "losing weight" (calories) to "eating healthy" (nutrition).
    Please define "clean" food. I must assume you're referencing something other than washing the fruits and vegetables before eating them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Once your have reached your micronutrient targets, you don't get bonus points for having more.

I personally love all these "clean" recipes I see posted with "all organic" coconut oil and medjool dates etc. etc. and have more calories than an equivalent "dirty" one :laugh: But it's ok because it's from "clean" food sources right and you they aren't fattening. :huh:
  • MariaStephens0508
    Options
    :happy: I think this is a great point. Calorie counting is essential to weight loss however good nutrition is essential to overall health. I try to get GOOD calories (fruits and veggies, raw and cooked) as well a watching sodium intake. The "Healthy" microwave dinners, although good for calorie and protein levels......are pretty bad (over 500 mg/meal) for sodium. Fresh is always best and whole food meals are preferable if you are looking to cut calories and eat a nutritious meal.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Calories and nutrition go hand in hand.

A cupcake would be satisfying for all of the 5 seconds it takes to eat it, but will it keep you full? Not likely. Those sorts of foods should be eaten sparingly. Maybe once a week. Sure, calories in and calories out makes a lot of sense for weight loss, but for overall health it's more complicated than that.

I always try to eat healthy, quality foods and limit my intake of junk. I would think a lot of people here try to do the same, as you get more vitamins and minerals that way to help you with your workout and weight management goals.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I care about what I eat/cook. Fast food makes me ill and packaged foods as well, might be the artificial preservatives? I dunno.

I noticed if I cook from scratch I end up feeling satiated and the food itself is lower in calories when compared to purchasing food that is loaded with sodium and who knows what.

I will take 2 softboiled eggs w/ sriracha sauce on a english muffin over Egg McMuffin breakfast.
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You wont get a heart attack of something from eating something that has chemicals in it.

If it was that harmful, it would be banned or something.

It all comes down to moderation.

Btw its very difficult to hit your macros from packaged products unless you dont care going over your fats/carbs/protein.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is why I love being a gym rat and marathoner. I can eat anything I want and no trans fats are going to clog up anything, I burn every single bit of it off before it can do any damage. And sugar won't ever make me diabetic, I need those 11 packets of sugar in my coffee to fuel my workout. 21-mile runs and such lead to super clean insides. Just keep it under the calorie goal and I'm good to go!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I care about both. I eat at a calorie deficit, log all my foods and meal plan to lose weight. I a nutritious, healthful diet for my physical well-being and to live a long, healthy life.
  • Siigh_duck
    Siigh_duck Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Well my reasons behind eating mostly healthy are actually because it makes being at a deficit easier for me. Protein fills me up so I try eat lots of it xD consequently I eat tuna and chicken and quorn and whatever else, people would see that as healthy, I just see it as filling. same goes for vegetables, who wouldn't want to fill up their plate with broccoli for a measley 50 calories XD
    I wouldn't say I categorise things as healthy or unhealthy though, I'm more of a macro girl and I love cheese, some people say cheese is unhealthy but some say it is, who knows. the world is weird.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Fast food, pizza, canned or frozen foods, it's all good as long as it fits in my calorie budget.

Even cupcakes. Especially cupcakes.
  • shawruff
    shawruff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do a combo of both. During the week, I really try to think about nutrition and what will fuel my body and mind. During the weekend, when i am on the go and eating more meals out or having drinks, i think more about calories. BUT, saying that, i suffer from severe iron deficient anemia so I also ensure that i get my Iron and take a liquid multi.
  • Glens_Life
    Glens_Life Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Some buttermilk biscuts and rabbit gravy every once in a great while never hurt anyone as long as its counted.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I watch all: food labels, calories, macros and micros plus my exercises.
    Stef.