Tacos !

Options
13»

Replies

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, my favorite is carnitas: put a pork loin (we usually divide one in thirds, so we get three meals out of it) in the crockpot with a little water or stock, and cover with your favorite spices. We use chipotle seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper, etc. We let it cook on low all day, and when you to go eat, you just shred it up, put it in the tortilla of your choice (we use good whole wheat low cal ones) and top with lettuce, salsa, sour cream, diced onion, avocado, fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Diabolically delicious! Last time we even added some black beans that we cooked from dry (the soak overnight method), and..... :love: Now I'm starving!!!!! I've seen some really great other ideas here too! Love me some tacos!!

^This! Pork sirloin roasts from Costco are what I use and they are incredibly lean and a piece of cake to shred up. Just put the cooked roast on a cookie sheet, grab two forks and you'll have a heaping mound of shredded pork in a few minutes. Sooo good!
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP for recipes
  • Kristina2k
    Kristina2k Posts: 14
    Options
    Cook chicken breast strips in a crockpot with just "Pace Garlic Lime Verde Salsa" for couple of hours - shred it and add to corn or flour tortilla, with some cheese and some of the salsa - really easy, super healthy, even lower sodium than a tomato-based salsa recipe :) I also add the chicken to salads, or just have it atop rice.

I do the same thing! Toss chicken in the slow cooker with any sauce, come back 6-8 hours later and you have a very healthy protein! I've put this over salad, corn tortillas, rice, pasta.

+ avocado, lime, cilantro = Yummy
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    We love tacos here. I usually use corn flour tortillas grilled until they are borderline crispy but still soft enough to be folded without breaking apart (that's a technique to master, I assure you!).

Usual fillings are the following:

- White fish (basa, tilapia or anything not pricey) marinated with lime juice and zest, anchiote paste if you have some on hand, chili powder (etc.), crunchy cabbage (usually red, for the funky color), avocado crema, cilantro, cotija (or feta as a sub) cheese, green sauce (El Yucateco green habanero or Blair's Death Jalapeno Sauce

- Pulled pork, maple-bourbon barbecue sauce, pickled red onions, grilled corn kernels, cotija (or feta as sub) cheese, a dash of chipotle hot sauce (smoked Tabasco can do the trick)

- Marinated flank steak (check for "carne asada style tacos" for marinade ingredients, there's a lot a good recipe online), lettuce (bibb or iceberg, something crunchy), pico de gallo, diced onion, cotija (or feta as a sub) cheese, Chohula sauce

- Leftover cooked pork (loin or boneless rib) with grilled pineapple, grilled corn kernels and pickled red onions, barbecue sauce

- Marinated tofu (marinated in tamari, maple syrup and anchiote paste), apple-cabbage slaw, diced onions, avocado slice, green hot sauce (see above for our favorite)

We also love shrimp tacos (shrimp tossed in Old Bay seasoning) and breakfast tacos (scrambled eggs, chorizo, bell peppers, red onions).
  • TheLegendOfPanda
    Options
    OMG YESH!!!
  • christybushellwain
    christybushellwain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I came across a great recipe on Facebook for stuffed peppers....basically a taco filling stuffed inside a red pepper. I really like them because it saves me the carbs of the "taco" without sacrificing the taste!
    I make up a batch of the filling and make my husband and I each 1 whole pepper (2 halves). Then, do it again the next night (or maybe skip a night). Then, there is usually plenty left to also make a wrap for lunch for something a little different. I figure it works out to about 500 calories for 2 halves (includes about 2 tbsp of low fat sour cream). Very satisfying and filling dinner.

1/2 pound of lean ground meat (beef, chicken or turkey)
    1 cup chopped onions
    taco seasoning to taste (I use Epicure)
    2 cups of cooked rice
    1/2 cup corn
    1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups of salsa (I use a salsa I make from Epicure salsa spice mix...basically a can of diced tomatoes plus the spice mix)

olive oil
    4 - 6 bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
    shredded cheddar cheese
    optional toppings:
    fresh cilantro
    low fat sour cream
    sliced avocado

Brown the meat and onions, adding taco seasoning. Then add rice, beans, corn and salsa.
    Use a brush to put a light layer of olive oil on the outside of each pepper half.
    Spoon the mixture into the pepper and put in a 400 degree oven for about 20 - 25 minutes. Add cheddar cheese and cook long enough for the cheese to melt.
    Remove from over and top with cilantro, avocado slices and/or sour cream just before serving.
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Made shrimp tacos tonight. So good. Toss 1.5 lbs of shrimp in spice mix, and cook in a couple tbs of oil, 2 min on each side.

Spice mix: 1 TBS paprika, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried oregano, 3/4 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp ground red pepper (to taste), 1/2 tsp salt

Put in a tortilla (I like flour) with sour cream, shredded cabbage (slaw mix), cilantro and squeeze of lime.

Takes less than 10 min!

These sound so good!! I will be making these in the near future. Thank you for sharing!!
    I agree.... these sound AWESOME!!! (I'm not even that big a shrimp fan!)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Oh my ! The ideas just keep rolling in ! Love the posts !
    The Shrimp tacos are very popular and will try those soon.

Anyone ever used won ton wrappers in a mini muffin tin and made bite sized tacos ?
    Great for entertaining ! Or just for yourself...?
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I had some leftover grilled chicken so I mixed in some salsa for taste/flavor & shredded it.
    Put a little of that into 2 warm corn tortillas added some shredded lettuce & just a little shredded cheese!
    You can keep adding things into this such as avocado etc but I didn't want the extra calories.
    I prefer flour tortillas...taste and size but corn tortillas are a close 2nd!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipes.

I haven't tried this yet, but we started carrying a tropical fruit salsa where I work, and I really want to make fish tacos with it. What type of fish would anyone suggest I use? I've never made fish tacos before.