The peanut butter must go

Options
I want to talk about peanut butter. See, I'm losing weight - and it's been going well, so far I've lost 18 kgs - but I think that peanut butter is slowing my weight loss down. Every time I buy a jar I finish it in a few days... yes I put a LOT of it on my sandwiches! ;) And that would've been no problem if not for the fact that peanut butter is one of the most calorie-dense things you can put on a sandwich.

I've been doing this for a long time and though moderation would be a good idea, for me it's not working. So, what would you put on your bread if peanut butter was no option? ;)

Replies

• jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Freakin' cookie butter. Also known as Biscoff cookie spread, but cookie butter just sounds better. I seriously eat it by the spoonful straight from the jar, which is why I don't buy it often.

Wait, were you wanting something healthy? I got nothing. Sorry.
  • JoeyFrappuccino
    JoeyFrappuccino Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A world without peanut butter is not a world I want to live in. But you can make a sandwich out of pretty much anything - sometimes when I'm super lazy I make a toast sandwich. It's exactly what it sounds like and the shame is real.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I go vegemite on my sandwich. Hardly and calories in it! I have to have it super light though, to much is overwhelming to me haha
  • megaqt
    megaqt Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't eat much bread at all! Oats are my go-to for breakfast, and rice thins are the base I choose for lunch. I just put jam or margarine on bread if I have it, or have no spread at all when I'm making a sandwich. Guessing that's not helpful for you though.

If you must have peanut butter, consider using less of it. Remember that a serve is 20g generally, which is a thin coat on two slices of bread. A thin coat on one slice of bread (the other slice plain) tastes just the same when you combine them.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    pb2?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese has few calories and does not have the addictive sugar. You could try almond butters or peanut butters with no sugar. How about hummus? Or one slice of cheese with pickles and lots of lettuce and tomatoes?
  • Singlejules
    Singlejules Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also buy PB2.
    Tastes just like peanut butter. Its a powder that you mix with water to make a paste. As thick or thin as you like. Low in cals too.
    You can add the powder to many things too if you want the flavor.
    Look on their website. Its natural. Also do a chocolate one, but its not very chocolaty. Not a lot of difference really between the 2.
    Good luck.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't kick the PB on the head!

I love it too, and yes I probably do eat a bit too much of it, I have just had two tablespoons now, but why give up something you love?

Sometimes when you 'cut' things out of your diet, its even worse, little & often. Make it work into your calories : )
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally eat peanut butter once a day for breakfast because it has many good health benefits not just protein... You need carbs (that comes from the bread) and you need the fat (peanut oil) If i was you i would go to an all-natural peanut butter... (100% peanuts).

Also you need to get some Willpower when it comes to your eating this awesome food from the gods....^^
  • Alice_in_VVonderland
    Alice_in_VVonderland Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I mix a Tablespoon of natural peanut butter with 3 oz. of nonfat honey flavored yogurt and eat that with graham crackers, celery, or Brownie Brittle for an evening snack.

I've also done a similar mix replacing the peanut butter with hot fudge or Nutella.

You can also use a Tablespoon of peanut butter as a topping for lower calorie ice cream or frozen yogurt.
  • LittleIcarus
    Options
    Another vote for PB2. I disagree that it tastes JUST like regular PB(the reason being the way they process it it strips out almost all/all of the fat, which gives PB it's flavor), but for 1/4 of the calories(50 cal per 2 tbls dry if I recall correctly), I'll take the difference in taste. I imagine it wouldn't be so noticeable with jelly or whatever else you put on sandwiches, though. I would give it a shot, worst case you don't like it and you're out 10~ bucks
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've just cut way down on the amount of peanut butter I use. Instead of putting it on really thickly, like I used to, I use 1 tablespoon per slice of bread (I usually eat peanut butter on toast). It still gives me the taste of the peanut butter, so I feel satisfied. I also only buy peanut butter with no added sugar.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it often but 20g of natural PB on a piece of thick white bread with a sprinkle of flaked chocolate is the occasional post run treat.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Awesome food from the gods hahaha love it!!

OP, buy a smaller jar and go without for a while when it's all gone? Like an occasional treat thing :)
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas, very helpful! I bought some of the foods you suggested! :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Maybe buy those tiny cups of peanut butter instead of a whole jar? Of course you could buy/eat more than one, but it might help with controlling your portions.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I've just cut way down on the amount of peanut butter I use. Instead of putting it on really thickly, like I used to, I use 1 tablespoon per slice of bread

^^ This
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with peanut butter, how do you currently measure it? Instead of a spoon, try weighing it instead. An no you don't have to get your scale dirty with peanut butter. Weigh the slice of bread before you put on the peanut butter, then weigh it after. Subcontract the new weight from the previous and you got your peanut butter serving.

Peanut butter isn't the problem, and boy is it yummy.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is my favorite time of the day.:embarassed:
  • LaurenBrooke1843
    LaurenBrooke1843 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    125 calorie PB&J sandwiches are seriously the best thing that ever happened to me haha! 35 calorie/slice bread, 2 tbsp of pb2, and 1 tbsp of sugar free jelly! mmmmm! :)