• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Margarine and strawberry jam.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I also buy PB2.
    Tastes just like peanut butter. Its a powder that you mix with water to make a paste. As thick or thin as you like. Low in cals too.
    You can add the powder to many things too if you want the flavor.
    Look on their website. Its natural. Also do a chocolate one, but its not very chocolaty. Not a lot of difference really between the 2.
    Good luck.
    love PB2. I wish they would offer almond butter and tahini,too.
    I also have some homemade marmelade that I love.
  • yethica
    yethica Posts: 3
    Options
    Try sunflower seed butter or almond butter. Both of those are delicious and way better for you than peanut butter.
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Could not read this thread. Too depressing. I actually think you should be banned for even suggesting cutting out PB. ;)

^this :O

edit: crap, now you made me go have a spoon after i was done eating for the day!!!!!
  • FightingFree
    Options
    I love peanut butter - don't give up on it! If you buy 100% peanut stuff, it is also incredibly good for you - so many awesome fats and lots of protein - I used to have the same problem- just ate it straight from the jar, and it lasted maybe an hour or two (if that). These days I have it ALL the time with carrot or celery sticks or light vanilla ice cream for a special treat- I just weigh it out, and having it with the carrot sticks tends to encourage me to have less than on bread as you don't need to cover all the way to the crust... I tried forgoing it entirely to begin with, but that ended up sabotaging my diet as I ended up craving it and it seemed even more appealing being forbidden fruit and all :D I guess the thing to remember is to diet as you mean to go on, and if you think you can live without peanut butter, then by all means abandon its nutty yummyness, but if not - perhaps try preportioned tubs like the ones in hotels until you can limit yourself?
  • TeaCoffeeLove
    TeaCoffeeLove Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat maybe like 1 spoon of peanut butter a month... I used to like it and would secretly keep a jar in my room but once I stopped eating it I don't need to have it anymore, I never even really think to eat peanut butter on my own now. :/ It's not that great tasting to me anymore.
  • macattack5946
    macattack5946 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ok, peanut butter is my "go to" food when I need just a little pick me up, I usually just eat it off a spoon, yum. Occasionally I'll have it on a piece of toast for breakfast, love it when it's warm. My guess is to just enjoy your peanut butter, but in moderation. Maybe only spread it on half the bread, or reduce the amount a little every time till you get used to it. That's my two cents, good luck, hmmm, now I'm hungry!
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Haha I had to laugh when I read the comment that I should be banned for suggesting to stop eating peanut butter! Good one! :D

Anyway, I read a lot of people suggest moderation instead of avoiding all peanut butter altogether. On one hand I do agree with this, but on the other I know myself and how I can change habits. Moderation rarely works, instead I do this:
    1. Completely avoid food/activity for a defined amount of time (let's say a month)
    2. During this month: explore alternatives that are healthier and just as tasty
    3. Extend that period with another month when it's over and I feel good about it. If it's really frustrating find out what the reason is and make changes, or decide not to continue for another month.
    4. When I'm done with this abstinence period after one to a few months: go for moderation.

I've done this with a lot of habits: I quit smoking cold turkey (I did not take step 4 in this case - I don't smoke at all), quit eating fast food (while exploring healthy alternatives), etc. It's working very well for me (both on short and long term) and it's really not that frustrating, actually I find it really exciting to challenge myself in this way! Such a period of abstinence helps me to go outside of my comfort zone (which is a good place to be) and try new things.

But to be clear: moderation is the end goal. It's not like I'm planning to never eat peanut butter in my life - only to avoid it for one to a few months. After this time is over I will slowly re-introduce the peanut butter! ;)

I know this sounds crazy but again this is what works for me! :)

----

About my weight loss: Indeed I lost 44 lbs (20 kg), but I did this in 15 months (during which I had a 6+ month plateau), not 2 (does my profile say 2 months?). Also my weight loss is ok, not very fast but I'm past my plateau, I'm just looking for ways to accelerate it a bit.

----

New things I ate on my bread today:
    - Sardines
    - Pickles with cheese

I liked both! :)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Haha I had to laugh when I read the comment that I should be banned for suggesting to stop eating peanut butter! Good one! :D

Anyway, I read a lot of people suggest moderation instead of avoiding all peanut butter altogether. On one hand I do agree with this, but on the other I know myself and how I can change habits. Moderation rarely works, instead I do this:
    1. Completely avoid food/activity for a defined amount of time (let's say a month)
    2. During this month: explore alternatives that are healthier and just as tasty
    3. Extend that period with another month when it's over and I feel good about it. If it's really frustrating find out what the reason is and make changes, or decide not to continue for another month.
    4. When I'm done with this abstinence period after one to a few months: go for moderation.

I've done this with a lot of habits: I quit smoking cold turkey (I did not take step 4 in this case - I don't smoke at all), quit eating fast food (while exploring healthy alternatives), etc. It's working very well for me (both on short and long term) and it's really not that frustrating, actually I find it really exciting to challenge myself in this way! Such a period of abstinence helps me to go outside of my comfort zone (which is a good place to be) and try new things.

But to be clear: moderation is the end goal. It's not like I'm planning to never eat peanut butter in my life - only to avoid it for one to a few months. After this time is over I will slowly re-introduce the peanut butter! ;)

I know this sounds crazy but again this is what works for me! :)

----

About my weight loss: Indeed I lost 44 lbs (20 kg), but I did this in 15 months (during which I had a 6+ month plateau), not 2 (does my profile say 2 months?). Also my weight loss is ok, not very fast but I'm past my plateau, I'm just looking for ways to accelerate it a bit.

----

New things I ate on my bread today:
    - Sardines
    - Pickles with cheese

I liked both! :)

I kind of understand this reasoning, only I do it on a much smaller scale. When I'm hit with a craving--even for peanut butter--I wait to eat it for at least an hour (or until the craving has passed). Then I reward myself with a little of what I craved. I find that if I don't respond to what I want immediately then it becomes less of an urgency and I enjoy it more than I would have if I'd eaten it (and then felt guilty for eating it).
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I used to eat dairy & bread, I'd sometimes put nonfat Greek yogurt on bread. Tasted great with a bit of avocado or grilled chicken. I even used to put the yogurt on pizza - haha!

Have you ever tried PB2? It's a low cal peanut butter powder that you supposedly mix with water to get it creamy. I've never tried it and don't know what it's really all about (is it just made up of dehydrated peanuts or are there chemicals in it?). But you might want to look into that.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You can have my peanut butter when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands. It's a necessity of life, like air, for me anyway.

Try making your sandwiches with toast instead of untoasted bread. The peanut butter gets all melty, so it spreads better and you can use less.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    No need to rid your pantry of peanut butter, just fit it into your daily goals. When I've had a great day and a nice workout I love having a piece of toast with peanut butter and honey as a snack. It's not an everyday thing for me, but it could be if I wanted it to be, just work your day around the things you love! :)
  • marialynn2014
    marialynn2014 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

----

----

Ahhhh, It just says you joined in April 2014, generally, people put their starting weight as what they currently weigh. Sorry! In any case, great job at maintaining :drinker:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks PB2 is absolutely disgusting?
    is that fake peanut butter?
  • lorrennon
    lorrennon Posts: 43
    Options
    I use pimento cheese spread, tuna, or egg salad sandwiches... does the trick for me
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I cannot even imagine a day without peanut butter. Id rather have the peanut butter than the bread. Put it on celery or sliced apples are wonderful dipped in PB. or spread it on your bananas.
  • fighterwithin
    fighterwithin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I read this while having a spoon full of pb;)
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Another vote for PB2. I disagree that it tastes JUST like regular PB(the reason being the way they process it it strips out almost all/all of the fat, which gives PB it's flavor), but for 1/4 of the calories(50 cal per 2 tbls dry if I recall correctly), I'll take the difference in taste. I imagine it wouldn't be so noticeable with jelly or whatever else you put on sandwiches, though. I would give it a shot, worst case you don't like it and you're out 10~ bucks
    [/quotePB2 for me too! If you put a pinch of salt & a little truvia in it, It tastes even more like the real thing!]
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter in my shake I make most days. Really, it's better to ditch the bread. You don't really need bread and the carbs don't help that much since you can get them from so many other places. Think of all the calories you could free up!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i incorportate pb into my diet so it is within my goals. i dont eat it on bread though, mostly with a spoon straight out of the jar or in fruit smoothies! would never want to miss it. :) and its not bad for you either, it has loads of good fats, protein..all you have to do is watch the calories. sometimes i reward myself with 50g PB straight out of the jar after a workout, but its planned and within my calorie goal.

as for the bread, i would not cut it out completely but maybe switch to the sourdough types, like buns from a european bakery. dont eat too much of it as it really does have a lot of empty calories but i find that i feel a lot more satisfied and happy if i incorporate a few bread carbs into my diet. :) its not the devil, just eat only a little bit (like 1 bun = 170-250 cals).

i like to spread a soft avocado on my bread and then top it with whatever veggies i have, like cucumber, tomato, radish, bell peppers, super tasty! or hummus + veggies.