Burger help please

amcmillan730
amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
Ok.... so I'm really craving mcdonalds burger and fries (Thanks TOM!) but I know my stomach and my conscience will hate me for it. Looking for something that will taste similar and satisfy my desire... without being so greasy.

Help!!!

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    There was a thread a few weeks back about turkey burgers, and the Mar-a-Lago Turkey burger was recommended. I made it and it is delicious!

Google "Oprah Turkey Burger" or "Trump Turkey Burger" to find the recipe.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Men's Health eat this not That...BK Whopper Jr...no mayo and a side salad with lite italian
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    You could make a burger yourself- That's what I do, far more satisfying than the McD's. Just get lean sirloin at the market (3-6 oz) and just make a yummy burger at home. You can even steam cook them if you don't want them on the griddle. Oh and fries? Chop up a potato into strips, drizzle with 1 tsp of olive oil and sprinkle with Jerk seasoning (kind of expensive but SUPER delish). 15 min at 350-400, flip and then another 15 min (I turn my oven to broil for the last 5 min cuz i like'em REAL crispy, but you have to watch'em the whole time when its up that high)
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    What calorie amount are you trying to stay under?
  • amcmillan730
    No specific calorie number... just healthier. haha I'm all for making something myself... just have never made burgers at home besides frozen ones!

Thanks guys!
  • Laura's Lean burger patties are delicious & very low in calories and fat! get some fat free cheese singles & some light rolls & enjoy!! :)
  • amcmillan730
    Laura's Lean burger patties are delicious & very low in calories and fat! get some fat free cheese singles & some light rolls & enjoy!! :)

Never heard of them... where do they sell them??
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    The fries are soooooooooo good. But I enjoy my full fat cheeses *guilty*
  • amcmillan730
    The fries are soooooooooo good. But I enjoy my full fat cheeses *guilty*

you think mrs dash on the fries would be ok?
  • skinnyminnie
    Also, if you want some super easy yummy fries, try any crinkle-cut variety and bake them in the oven. They have less fat than the other varieties in the frozen section. Just sprinkle some seasoned salt over the top and pop them in. About ten minutes in, move them around on the pan and then back in for another ten minutes or so - until crispy. I like to make white gravy from a mix packet to dip them in. Very yummy. :)
  • amcmillan730
    Also, if you want some super easy yummy fries, try any crinkle-cut variety and bake them in the oven. They have less fat than the other varieties in the frozen section. Just sprinkle some seasoned salt over the top and pop them in. About ten minutes in, move them around on the pan and then back in for another ten minutes or so - until crispy. I like to make white gravy from a mix packet to dip them in. Very yummy. :)

That's what I'm thinking for the fries. soooo yummy. the burger is a bigger problem haha.
  • skinnyminnie
    I usually just cook the burger while the fries are busy baking. I take 1/4 lb of 93/7 ground beef and make a patty (spread it wide and thin because it gets rounder as it cooks) and season with salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe a small dash of soy sauce. Cook it in a pan on medium - medium-high heat until it's done the way you like. You just check the center for pinkness with a fork or knife. I also like to spread a super thin layer of light spread on the buns and toast them lightly before assembling the burger. If you don't use mayo, the toppings - lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mustard, ketchup - have almost no calories. And that way you have a fantastic burger by the time the fries are done! Also - the burger and bun are about 280 calories together if that helps at all.
  • amcmillan730
    I usually just cook the burger while the fries are busy baking. I take 1/4 lb of 93/7 ground beef and make a patty (spread it wide and thin because it gets rounder as it cooks) and season with salt, pepper, garlic, and maybe a small dash of soy sauce. Cook it in a pan on medium - medium-high heat until it's done the way you like. You just check the center for pinkness with a fork or knife. I also like to spread a super thin layer of light spread on the buns and toast them lightly before assembling the burger. If you don't use mayo, the toppings - lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, mustard, ketchup - have almost no calories. And that way you have a fantastic burger by the time the fries are done! Also - the burger and bun are about 280 calories together if that helps at all.

sounds delicious! I'm drooling just thinking about dinner! haha
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Stopped eating at McDonald's several years ago. Then, as my daughter and I were getting ready for a 10K walk, I suggested a long walk in my area. She said she didn't want to get up that early. I said I would make breakfast when we got back. She suggested stopping at McDonald's after the walk. We compromised. By adding about a mile to our walk, we could stop at a McDonald's during the walk. So.....walked about 6 miles, stopped at McDonald's (Breakfast Burritos, Hash Browns, Coffee) then only 1 mile to go home.

We left McDonalds and had only walked about 1/2 mile and already I felt like *kitten*. That food sat in my stomach like a brick. Felt like I wasted the whole walk. Daughter felt the same way. Haven't gone back.

Long story to say...make your own burger, using ingredients you can pronounce. McDonalds isn't healthy.
  • amcmillan730
    Stopped eating at McDonald's several years ago. Then, as my daughter and I were getting ready for a 10K walk, I suggested a long walk in my area. She said she didn't want to get up that early. I said I would make breakfast when we got back. She suggested stopping at McDonald's after the walk. We compromised. By adding about a mile to our walk, we could stop at a McDonald's during the walk. So.....walked about 6 miles, stopped at McDonald's (Breakfast Burritos, Hash Browns, Coffee) then only 1 mile to go home.

We left McDonalds and had only walked about 1/2 mile and already I felt like *kitten*. That food sat in my stomach like a brick. Felt like I wasted the whole walk. Daughter felt the same way. Haven't gone back.

Long story to say...make your own burger, using ingredients you can pronounce. McDonalds isn't healthy.

Thats why I wont eat it... I know I'll feel completely sick after it... I've just never made my own burgers at home. and looking for suggestions :)
  • RoadDog

Thats why I wont eat it... I know I'll feel completely sick after it... I've just never made my own burgers at home. and looking for suggestions :)

I mix the following: 1 lb lean ground beef, 1 lb ground turkey, 1/2 lbs italian sausage. Mix in some BBQ rub. Montreal Steak seasoning will do. Or some people like Lipton's Onion soup mix.

You can get about 6 patties out of that. Cheese of your choice. Top with Red Onion, Avocado, tomatoe, lettuce.

Nothing to it. You can do it.
  • amcmillan730

I mix the following: 1 lb lean ground beef, 1 lb ground turkey, 1/2 lbs italian sausage. Mix in some BBQ rub. Montreal Steak seasoning will do. Or some people like Lipton's Onion soup mix.

You can get about 6 patties out of that. Cheese of your choice. Top with Red Onion, Avocado, tomatoe, lettuce.

Nothing to it. You can do it.

that sounds amazing! I only need 2 patties though... could i freeze the rest of the mixture do you think?
  • RoadDog
    that sounds amazing! I only need 2 patties though... could i freeze the rest of the mixture do you think?

Absolutely. You can freeze them for later. Know what else is tasty? My wife likes Bleu Chese, so I take the meat and make two smaller patties, Place one patty down, cover with Bleu Cheese, then place the other pattie on top and crimp the edges. Delicious! Any cheese works. You'll never crave McDonalds again.
  • amcmillan730

Absolutely. You can freeze them for later. Know what else is tasty? My wife likes Bleu Chese, so I take the meat and make two smaller patties, Place one patty down, cover with Bleu Cheese, then place the other pattie on top and crimp the edges. Delicious! Any cheese works. You'll never crave McDonalds again.

My Boyfriend would LOVE that. is it dinner time yet? haha. any suggestion on bread?
This discussion has been closed.