You have how many kids. Wait! What?

Options
:flowerforyou: Here is what I wonder: I have 5 children. I am only going to mention the ones who live with me right now.

My oldest daughter, Shurree' is 25. My next in line comes Sharrah at 24 & the youngest one, Shailah at 18.
I hate saying this but I am in my YOUNG 50s. I have almost (died) a few times with blood problems. First suffering a miscarriage & being told that if I waited only two minutes longer I would have bled to death then getting clots in my legs. (taking two shots in my stomache to 3 blood draws & between 8-10 pills a day.) The latter happened 2x different legs though.

Now, this is what I can't figure out: These girls of mine ... I run circles around them. I ask them to go to the gym with me but they are always to tired. I ask them to walk with me in the evening but they can't because their legs hurt ... It seems to me to be excuse after excuse. I guess it confuses me? Shouldn't I be the one who tires easily? Shouldn't I be the one who just wants to sit into front of the TV & watch Jeopardy?

How is it after a full day of watching 6 grand-babies all 3 years old & under, catering to my daughters needs, cleaning the house, cooking the meals, washing the loads and loads of laundry & dishes, being a taxi, doing the yard work & about everything else: I am still the one who wants to walk for 2 hours a night? I just can't figure it out.

Maybe: I know someday or at any given point I might not be able to walk? Maybe: I keep my theme song in my head & refuse to give up?

I can almost see it.
That dream I'm dreaming, but
There's a voice inside my head saying
You'll never reach it
Every step I'm takin'
Every move I make
Feels lost with no direction,
My faith is shakin'
But I, I gotta keep tryin'
Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
The chances I'm taking
Sometimes might knock me down, but
No I'm not breaking
I may not know it, but
These are the moments that
I'm gonna remember most, yeah
Just gotta keep goin',
And I, I gotta be strong
Just keep pushing on, 'cause

There's always gonna be another mountain
I'm always gonna wanna make it move
Always gonna be an uphill battle
Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose
Ain't about how fast I get there
Ain't about what's waitin' on the other side
It's the climb.

Maybe I am just happy to be alive? (& maybe I sure hope someday my kids all feel the same way)(even now they are to tired too)

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    How is it after a full day of watching 6 grand-babies all 3 years old & under, catering to my daughters needs, cleaning the house, cooking the meals, washing the loads and loads of laundry & dishes, being a taxi, doing the yard work & about everything else: I am still the one who wants to walk for 2 hours a night? I just can't figure it out.

Hate to be rude, but here's the problem, you do everything for them, therefore, they are lazy.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think as moms we become resilient and become accustomed to being able to do things when we are tired and don’t feel like it which is probably why it easier for you to just go do it. I have 2 young children and can’t tell you how many times I just want to lie on the couch but being a mom often means sucking it up and taking care of business. So we as moms just get used to pushing through hard times. Good for you! Keep trying to get your daughters to go maybe they will surprise you. :smile:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Hate to be rude, but here's the problem, you do everything for them, therefore, they are lazy.

Basically this.

Why are adult kids and THEIR kids all living with you?
  • Winwin101
    Winwin101 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    First of all, Well done for being such a loving caring mother and grandmother. Secondly, I agree with what everyone has said so far. It seems like you are all in a codependent relationship where you are in the familiar role of being the nurturer and your kids are used to letting you take care of them. Lets be honest, if someone is already doing everything for you why bother? You need to step back and let your your grown up kids take up their responsibilities. If you can't stop yourself from helping/doing almost everything for them despite all the best of intentions then perhaps you need to give them some space and make yourself unavailable to them. If you aren't there to pick up after them then sooner or later they'll be forced to take responsibility.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    you are an AMAZING woman! you have been through a lot and pushed through! You obviously love and care for your kids & grandkids very much.

I say this with the utmost respect as I was and am there with you...

it seems like you're an enabler, you enable them to be 'lazy'. I was there with my ex for 22 years and am currently there w/my son. however, I'm not as bad w/my son (well... trying not to be). it's hard not to be, something i struggle with daily and have to learn to not be. also, i didn't know i was an enabler until my divorce, then his doctors pointed this out to me during 'his' treatment that i enabled his behavior. wow! they were right!
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i am confused here. how does this fit in the success forum? this story almost makes me afraid to become a grand parent one day.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It's a mom thing :blushing:

I'm 45 and my kids are 24 and 18 years old. Both go to the gym & lift heavy with my husband and I, and both go to yoga classes with us. We just added kettle bells too.

That said, I still do the lion's share of the housework & remain the backbone of the family keeping everyone on track & in line.
    I work inside & outside of the house, both kids go to school & also work (as does DH).

As moms, if we don't do it, who will?....home training starts early but doesn't always take :grumble:
    I still struggle sometimes.

Congratulations for keeping on :drinker: You will be their inspiration someday if you aren't already!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

I'm 45 and my kids are 24 and 18 years old. Both go to the gym & lift heavy with my husband and I, and both go to yoga classes with us. We just added kettle bells too.

That said, I still do the lion's share of the housework & remain the backbone of the family keeping everyone on track & in line.
    I work inside & outside of the house, both kids go to school & also work (as does DH).

As moms, if we don't do it, who will?....home training starts early but doesn't always take :grumble:

Congratulations for keeping on :drinker: You will be their inspiration someday if you aren't already!

The Dad!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you had named them Shazam, they'd have more energy.

shazam_by_btimony-d3bskgl.jpg
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This is why it's best to give kids chores and get them active from a young age.
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options

The Dad!

And you know this MAN!
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I feel for you ! It's can be very frustrating as a mom to hold all the household responsibilities and watch everyone else around you enjoy the relaxing aspect of it all. I too have five daughter two step daughters 16 &13 and three of my own 5,3,2 .... The step kids are harder for me to lay chores and such on ...due to some ( your not my mom BS) but my smaller children offer help and will workout with me and only sit down to watch tv when I ask them to ( while I prepare dinner) . The older kids will let a whole sunny skied day pass them by if I didn't demand they at least go out for a bit ....I dont SIT like literally as us moms know if we sit we stop all together , we are constantly wiping up a mess, laundry, food, the list is every changing and always adding up. So onto your kids, they are older and need that responsibility ...I would almost demand some type of responsibility on them , 24 ?? Seriously needs to be helping ALOT . I had my own job and place at 17 , payed my bills drove myself to work ....not saying everyone should be doing that at this age but dang if your living with your parents ...your gonna need to follow some rules and pitch in on stuff even if it's just some support taking a walk with your mom. Kudos to you for not blowing a lid on the lack of support , good luck to you in getting it ....just know even if they don't show they are watching you they see all you do and just won't appreciate it until your not doing it anymore ;)
  • hookilau
    Options

The Dad!

And you know this MAN!

:heart: :heart: :heart: (pats hand) right, right. :blushing: What was I thinking? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He also has a sometimes thankless job :flowerforyou:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

The Dad!

And you know this MAN!

:heart: :heart: :heart: (pats hand) right, right. :blushing: What was I thinking? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The smile on my daughters face when i get home is thanks enough from her.
    The look on my wifes face when i get home, and she can now enjoy some free time is thanks enough from her.

****s gonna get real when she goes back to work!

ETA - in our house we both pull our weight!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No offense, but it says a lot about your kids considering you have health problems and they don't seem to care.
  • MuscleHeadNerd74
    MuscleHeadNerd74 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    5 two boys and three beautiful girls

oldest will be 22 in aug
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

YES.
  • hookilau
    Options

The Dad!

And you know this MAN!

The smile on my daughters face when i get home is thanks enough from her.
    The look on my wifes face when i get home, and she can now enjoy some free time is thanks enough from her.

****s gonna get real when she goes back to work!

ETA - in our house we both pull our weight!

:noway: SMILE????....wait...you don't have teenagers, do you?
    that's when *kitten* gets real :huh:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What do your kids do all day? At age 18-25 they should be doing all of their own cooking and cleaning and childcare. Pass off your grandkids on their parents and hit the gym! If you don't focus on yourself, who will?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

so this ^^ during the school year my daughter does less, it's basically dishwasher load/empty, clean up after her dog, clean her room and bathroom, pick up after herself and get good grades. In the summer she does the "housework" while I'm at work, she vacuums, dusts, takes the trash out, helps with yard work/pool, and other previous duties as assigned. She plays soccer year round, and runs track and cross country. BTW she also does not get an allowance - she is allowed to live in my house, eat the food I provide and wear the clothes that I paid for. I will not pay her to help me keep our home running. If she does extra things like wash my car she gets paid. I joke with her all the time that she's on the 18 and out plan, when she's 18 she's out on her own. LOL