You have how many kids. Wait! What?

Options
2»

Replies

• PinkCupcakes84
    PinkCupcakes84 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i am confused here. how does this fit in the success forum? this story almost makes me afraid to become a grand parent one day.

I know right
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options
    I don’t think it is fair to criticize her or her kids or their house hold environment. She came looking for advice and its thoughtless to throw in her face her kids are lazy her kids are this why aren’t you doing this. We don’t know what she has or hasn’t tried to do to get them motivated and we can’t pretend that we do we don’t live her life.

My advice as a mother and if see everyone's point if just don’t feel the need to throw anything in your face. You need to give those kiddos some ultimatums. Get them motivated to get off their butts and do something! If your running circles around them with your health issues then use that energy to kick their butts into gear and they will hopefully come across some motivation and enjoy it
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it is fair to criticize her or her kids or their house hold environment. She came looking for advice and its thoughtless to throw in her face her kids are lazy her kids are this why aren’t you doing this. We don’t know what she has or hasn’t tried to do to get them motivated and we can’t pretend that we do we don’t live her life.

My advice as a mother and if see everyone's point if just don’t feel the need to throw anything in your face. You need to give those kiddos some ultimatums. Get them motivated to get off their butts and do something! If your running circles around them with your health issues then use that energy to kick their butts into gear and they will hopefully come across some motivation and enjoy it

Says it's thoughtless to call them lazy.
    Then suggests they are lazy by recommending "ultimatums" and "motivate them to get off their butts".

Logic Lolz.
  • kids183
    kids183 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have 4 daughters and I work a full time job. With that and running my household (the girls do their chores) and the gym during my lunch breaks...I know where you're coming from.

I just keep signing them up for 5k runs to do with me and they have so much fun that they love it!

I guess whereas I lost my Mother at an early age, my girls fear that will happen and will spend time with me (during runs or outside on their bikes/rollerblades).
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    It's a mom thing :blushing:

I'm 45 and my kids are 24 and 18 years old. Both go to the gym & lift heavy with my husband and I, and both go to yoga classes with us. We just added kettle bells too.

That said, I still do the lion's share of the housework & remain the backbone of the family keeping everyone on track & in line.
    I work inside & outside of the house, both kids go to school & also work (as does DH).

As moms, if we don't do it, who will?....home training starts early but doesn't always take :grumble:
    I still struggle sometimes.

Congratulations for keeping on :drinker: You will be their inspiration someday if you aren't already!

The Dad!

And you know this MAN!

:heart: :heart: :heart: (pats hand) right, right. :blushing: What was I thinking? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He also has a sometimes thankless job :flowerforyou:

The smile on my daughters face when i get home is thanks enough from her.
    The look on my wifes face when i get home, and she can now enjoy some free time is thanks enough from her.

****s gonna get real when she goes back to work!

ETA - in our house we both pull our weight!

:noway: SMILE????....wait...you don't have teenagers, do you?
    that's when *kitten* gets real :huh:

Nope just an 11 month old - see profile picture!
  • GonnaLoseIt50Plus
    Options

Says it's thoughtless to call them lazy.
    Then suggests they are lazy by recommending "ultimatums" and "motivate them to get off their butts".

Logic Lolz.

Why? Because she would be offering way to get them motivated to get up and move rather than allow them to sit around all day?
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It's a mom thing :blushing:

I'm 45 and my kids are 24 and 18 years old. Both go to the gym & lift heavy with my husband and I, and both go to yoga classes with us. We just added kettle bells too.

That said, I still do the lion's share of the housework & remain the backbone of the family keeping everyone on track & in line.
    I work inside & outside of the house, both kids go to school & also work (as does DH).

As moms, if we don't do it, who will?....home training starts early but doesn't always take :grumble:
    I still struggle sometimes.

Congratulations for keeping on :drinker: You will be their inspiration someday if you aren't already!

The Dad!

And you know this MAN!

:heart: :heart: :heart: (pats hand) right, right. :blushing: What was I thinking? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He also has a sometimes thankless job :flowerforyou:

The smile on my daughters face when i get home is thanks enough from her.
    The look on my wifes face when i get home, and she can now enjoy some free time is thanks enough from her.

****s gonna get real when she goes back to work!

ETA - in our house we both pull our weight!

:noway: SMILE????....wait...you don't have teenagers, do you?
    that's when *kitten* gets real :huh:

Nope just an 11 month old - see profile picture!

Enjoy it now my friend! :drinker:
    I'm sure I'm not the first parent of young adults who wishes for the days when you could squeeze and kiss their chubby cheeks to squeals of delight instead of sighs of disdain and 'mom! people are LOOKING!' through gritted teeth.

Yes....they will rob you of your punctuation too when they get to that age :blushing:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    How is it after a full day of watching 6 grand-babies all 3 years old & under, catering to my daughters needs, cleaning the house, cooking the meals, washing the loads and loads of laundry & dishes, being a taxi, doing the yard work & about everything else: I am still the one who wants to walk for 2 hours a night? I just can't figure it out.

Hate to be rude, but here's the problem, you do everything for them, therefore, they are lazy.

+1
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    This is why it's best to give kids chores and get them active from a young age.

I agree.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's not just a mom thing. You can be a very good mother and not raise lazy lay abouts of adults.

My 5 and 7 year old both fold and put away their laundry, dishes, keep their rooms clean.
    Need to teach them responsiblity young.

Have your Grandchildren do what little chores they can do. I find kids actually take pride in it.
    And as far as the adults, EVERYBODY needs to pull equal weight. And if they aren't contributing much financially they should pull extra weight for you.

The thing about being a martyr and doing it all yourself is that it's awesome and you feel like she-woman. Then you realize you are just being taken advantage of.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    i am confused here. how does this fit in the success forum? this story almost makes me afraid to become a grand parent one day.

Don't be. Me mom lives with me and my family and she doesn't do this stuff lol. She's like an extra kid of mine.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    You are a super Mom and Grandmother for showing your children and grandchildren so much love. But I agree with some of the posters above that you are probably enabling your children to be inactive and they don't seem to be taking on a lot of responsibilities.

Children need to be able to learn and grow and some of them have to be pushed. That being said my situation and methods might note work for everyone but my stepson just turned 21. He did not have a lot of opportunities to be involved in sports and such when he was young but his father in I defiantly stressed participation in high school and it really helped him to grow. When he graduated from high school he was made toe get a job. When he quit college he was made to look for full time work. Currently he works 40 hours a week at one job and delivers pizza on the side. He has a lease agreement with his father and I and pays rent, pays for his own cell phone, his car payment , his student loan and since he has this great new job he will begin to pay for his own car insurance. And he has never asked for gas money EVER! B/c he knows we won’t give it to him. We have introduced more and more responsibilities and he is rising to the challenge. He has also been given a deadline to move out. In my opinion he must have the space to make his own mistakes. His father and I have given him the tools now it is time for him to apply what he has learned.

I think the best way you can motivate you children is by giving them their own responsibilities. They WILL grip at you in the beginning but you will be better preparing them for their future if you let go a little bit.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    You are a super Mom and Grandmother for showing your children and grandchildren so much love. But I agree with some of the posters above that you are probably enabling your children to be inactive and they don't seem to be taking on a lot of responsibilities.

Children need to be able to learn and grow and some of them have to be pushed. That being said my situation and methods might note work for everyone but my stepson just turned 21. He did not have a lot of opportunities to be involved in sports and such when he was young but his father in I defiantly stressed participation in high school and it really helped him to grow. When he graduated from high school he was made toe get a job. When he quit college he was made to look for full time work. Currently he works 40 hours a week at one job and delivers pizza on the side. He has a lease agreement with his father and I and pays rent, pays for his own cell phone, his car payment , his student loan and since he has this great new job he will begin to pay for his own car insurance. And he has never asked for gas money EVER! B/c he knows we won’t give it to him. We have introduced more and more responsibilities and he is rising to the challenge. He has also been given a deadline to move out. In my opinion he must have the space to make his own mistakes. His father and I have given him the tools now it is time for him to apply what he has learned.

I think the best way you can motivate you children is by giving them their own responsibilities. They WILL grip at you in the beginning but you will be better preparing them for their future if you let go a little bit.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Don't be. Me mom lives with me and my family and she doesn't do this stuff lol. She's like an extra kid of mine.

I feel you..... I have a MIL that lives with us and she does nothing!! You would think she could at least cook and clean every once in a while considering she lives there for free, doesn't work, on internet all day and rarely looks for a job. My 20 year old daughter isn't too much help either but she goes to college full time and has two jobs. She does do her own laundry.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How is it after a full day of watching 6 grand-babies all 3 years old & under, catering to my daughters needs, cleaning the house, cooking the meals, washing the loads and loads of laundry & dishes, being a taxi, doing the yard work & about everything else: I am still the one who wants to walk for 2 hours a night? I just can't figure it out.

Hate to be rude, but here's the problem, you do everything for them, therefore, they are lazy.
    agree they could do more but why? You do it for them