Horrible Cravings? What they mean.

Don't sabotage yourself by binge eating! Sometimes a craving means your body really needs a certain vitamin or mineral. Here's a list of some cravings and what they mean for your body's health.

This is just a list to make you think about your overall nutritional balance. Sometimes cravings are brought on by deficiencies in something. This isn't 100% accurate, I haven't looked deeply enough into it, but it's something to get you started and make you curious!

Use your Reports tab to look up how well you're doing with different vitamins and minerals each day as well. :)

Craving: Sweets. You need chromium, carbon phosphorous, sulfur, and tryptophan. Or you need sleep.
Eat: Fresh fruit, cheese and sweet potatoes when you have a sweet tooth. Evaluate how much you’re sleeping lately if you find yourself wanting sweets. Instead of heading for the chocolate cake, take a nap if you can. Or, go for a walk to boost your energy levels.

Craving: Carbs. You need nitrogen.
Eat: High-protein foods like fish, meat, nuts, and beans. You might also be craving carbs because you’re trying to cut them out of you diet completely.

Craving: Junk! Fries, soda, pizza. You need calcium.
Eat: Dairy, green leafy vegetables, soy.

Craving: Caffeine. You need salt and iron.
Eat: Lean meats, eggs, and black cherries. Craving caffeine can also mean you’re actually just really thirsty or dehydrated, according to Huffington Post.

Craving: Salty foods. You need chloride.
Eat: Seaweed, rye, tomatoes, lettuce, celery, and olives. Avoid table salt and overly salty foods.

Hope that helps someone, this is just a list I saw and it might make you think twice about food next time. :)

All credit to: www.laurenconrad.com/blog/2013/07/foodie-facts-what-your-cravings-are-really-telling-you-healthy-eating-food-tips-lauren-conrad-july-2013/

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Or you could just have some of what you are craving and fit it into your calories for the day.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Or you could just have some of what you are craving and fit it into your calories for the day.

chloe.gif
  • ...or not pay much mind to Lauren Conrad. lol.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member

chloe.gif

16huiip.gif

that like...makes too much sense...processing
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    The idea of the body needing specific nutrients is pretty well supported. Have you never heard that you may think you're hungry, and your body is telling you to eat, but in actuality you are dehydrated?

I'm surprised by the ignorance of some people jumping to conclusions about their personal health and not being open to ideas that are backed by science.

Sure, I saw it on Lauren Conrad's site, but that doesn't mean they didn't reference other places that, I dunno, did research and have supported evidence? It doesn't automatically mean you have to discount it. Now if I posted something from The Onion, that would be one thing.

I guess My Fitness Pal is just full of a lot of trolls or people who think they know it all.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Craving: Food. You need food.
    Eat: Food.

/end thread?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    The idea of the body needing specific nutrients is pretty well supported. Have you never heard that you may think you're hungry, and your body is telling you to eat, but in actuality you are dehydrated?

I'm surprised by the ignorance of some people jumping to conclusions about their personal health and not being open to ideas that are backed by science.

Sure, I saw it on Lauren Conrad's site, but that doesn't mean they didn't reference other places that, I dunno, did research and have supported evidence? It doesn't automatically mean you have to discount it. Now if I posted something from The Onion, that would be one thing.

I guess My Fitness Pal is just full of a lot of trolls or people who think they know it all.

No, I'm just awesome and have great self control in all aspects of life.
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    I take issue with a caffeine craving meaning you need something else. Caffeine is pretty addictive, if you're craving caffeine, you're craving caffeine.
  • HerkMeOff

She referenced shape.com and the huffington post.

No need to get all pissy here.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member

What nutrient is missing if you find that you are hyper sensitive to people disagreeing with you?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

What nutrient is missing if you find that you are hyper sensitive to people disagreeing with you?

sex
  • usmcmp

I'm far from a troll. I commented on it because at some point we all have to learn to eat our favorite craving foods in moderation. People fear eating chocolate or pizza or chips because they are "taboo" on a diet. They should start developing habits that they can continue long after they are done with their "diet". That's learning how to make weight loss sustainable.

Also, sometimes when you crave something there's no biological need behind it. Sometimes it just tastes good and you want some. If you have a well balanced diet you should be able to fill all your macro and micro nutrient needs.
  • SugaryLynx

No, I'm just awesome and have great self control in all aspects of life.

2m2tctx.gif

...I'm sorry, what?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Lithium.
  • SugaryLynx

sex

And candy
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Sorry, I thought it could be helpful to someone since I saw so many things about cravings and binge eating. If people don't have nice things to say that are supportive to others, can you please not say anything at all? If you don't agree, that's fine, but making snarky comments about things people put up on a forum that should be supportive isn't very nice.
  • SugaryLynx
    I take issue with a caffeine craving meaning you need something else. Caffeine is pretty addictive, if you're craving caffeine, you're craving caffeine.

Or crack. ..I heard it's a gateway
  • usmcmp
    Sorry, I thought it could be helpful to someone since I saw so many things about cravings and binge eating. If people don't have nice things to say that are supportive to others, can you please not say anything at all? If you don't agree, that's fine, but making snarky comments about things people put up on a forum that should be supportive isn't very nice.

I didn't say anything snarky. I gave you a real response. Sometimes being supportive isn't being "nice" in the way you would like. Sometimes it is pointing out other valid information.
  • HerkMeOff

So only people that agree with you can post?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    If you are craving salt, you could also just need more sodium. Add some table salt (I'm not sure why the recommend you avoid it if you are craving it - duh) to your diet and you get the Cl part of the NaCl equation as well. (MFP's can be treated as a bare minimum if you are INACTIVE and never SWEAT).

Thanks for posting OP. I know you were trying to be helpful, and sometimes cravings really do mean nutritional deficiencies. :flowerforyou: