Horrible Cravings? What they mean.

Replies

• I think it's an interesting list. If the blog author was here I would have several questions for her.

<snip>

If the blog author was here, you'd get this response.

large.gif

this is just great. :laugh:
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Lauren Conrad? For serious? :laugh:

I actually don't know who that is. Should I know who that is?

Have you heard of the show The Hills? If not, do no further research.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Lauren Conrad? For serious? :laugh:

I actually don't know who that is. Should I know who that is?

Only if you watch "reality" tv shows. I think she was on the OC or something like that.

Oh I pretty much instantly don't care then.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    I think if I was deficient in something I would crave something with actual nutritional value like broccoli. The things I crave have no nutritional value whatsoever they just taste good.

Not the case. There is a wealth of information out there as to what certain cravings mean with respect to nutritional deficiencies. Note that a craving is different than hunger and it may or may not be related to actually being hungry. Unfortunately, OP is getting a bit of nastiness here from folks who could easily do a bit of research on their own. If they took the time to do that instead of snarking at OP, they would find that cravings are indeed an indication of nutritional deficiencies.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    I think if I was deficient in something I would crave something with actual nutritional value like broccoli. The things I crave have no nutritional value whatsoever they just taste good.

Not the case. There is a wealth of information out there as to what certain cravings mean with respect to nutritional deficiencies. Note that a craving is different than hunger and it may or may not be related to actually being hungry. Unfortunately, OP is getting a bit of nastiness here from folks who could easily do a bit of research on their own. If they took the time to do that instead of snarking at OP, they would find that cravings are indeed an indication of nutritional deficiencies.

I don't think it was all OP's fault but rather the source of the article...:bigsmile:
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Honestly if people think anything posted in this thread (and 90% of the others) is "mean", "nasty" or "snark" they need to stay the HELL away from FARK, Reddit, or 4Chan. MFP is mildly pleasant ribbing and so PG rated it's not even funny.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I haven't read the dog pile, but assume it's there.

My own experience? When I was learning how to eat right I would take note of what I was craving, and try to find something that would satisfy it that wouldn't derail my eating.

I never thought of it in terms of nutrients, but we know this is true for pregnant women, so why wouldn't it be for the rest of us (especially for menstrual cravings).

So for me:

Sometimes that means: have a piece of chocolate.
    Sometimes it means: eat a SB diet chocolate mint snack bar or two.
    Sometimes it means: roast an entire garlic and eat it. (Worked many times lol)
    Sometimes it means eating an entire bag of edamame.

I've gotten good at knowing what will work, and not send me hundreds or thousands of calories over.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Honestly if people think anything posted in this thread (and 90% of the others) is "mean", "nasty" or "snark" they need to stay the HELL away from FARK, Reddit, or 4Chan. MFP is mildly pleasant ribbing and so PG rated it's not even funny.

QFT, and I'm a "mild mannered", polite lady. These responses are CLEARLY referencing the source of the article (seriously, we SHOULD question the validity of an MTV "celebrity" and non-scientific media like HuffPo). These are not nasty retorts; this is healthy skepticism.

Oh, and I love MFP forums! Entertaining and informative (critical thinking to discern the difference is, of course, required). :flowerforyou: :drinker: :heart:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Chromium? Seriously? From craving candy?

What balderdash. And dangerous to supplement.
    Chromium is involved in all substrate metabolism, it's not specific to sugar (as was once thought). And normally we get enough in our diet (trace needs) - it's bad to over supplement. If you crave sweets, maybe you just like sweets.

Don't poison yourself with taking chromium unless you see related issues. Bad info could lead to liver, kidney or nerve damage.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

Chromium is involved in all substrate metabolism, it's not specific to sugar (as was once thought). And normally we get enough in our diet (trace needs) - it's bad to over supplement. If you crave sweets, maybe you just like sweets.

Don't poison yourself with taking chromium unless you see related issues. Bad info could lead to liver, kidney or nerve damage.

mmmmmm, heavy metals

homer-drooling.png
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

<--- throws away bottle of chromium picolinate
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Someone posted this in response, right? http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1940299/

tl;dr Unless you're craving dirt and chalk (hellllo pica), your cravings are psychological, potentially stress or societally induced. Eat some and move on.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Craving: Junk! Fries, soda, pizza. You need calcium.
    Eat: Dairy, green leafy vegetables, soy.
    THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL THAT EATING GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES WOULD EVER EVER BE A VIABLE SOLUTION TO PIZZA CRAVINGS!
  • DesertStar86
    DesertStar86 Posts: 41 Member
    The only thing I ever truly crave is red meat. I eat very little meat but every couple of months or so, I hear the call of the cow. I'm not sure if that's a lack of iron thing or just a sign that I need a tasty steak, but when I hear the call I answer it. I can't imagine trying to satisfy the meat cry with anything else...
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    The only thing I ever truly crave is red meat. I eat very little meat but every couple of months or so, I hear the call of the cow. I'm not sure if that's a lack of iron thing or just a sign that I need a tasty steak, but when I hear the call I answer it. I can't imagine trying to satisfy the meat cry with anything else...

The dairy farm up the road would like you to stop sleepwalking on their property.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    I'm sure that there is sicence somewhere that would back some of this up. That being said, I just don't know how a reality tv star could or would know these things and would we take advice from her?

All in good fun OP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It would be nice if it actually worked, lol. But somehow I'm sure most of us are here because they've tried this (eating something healthier when you were craving something) before and it didn't.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    In my own limited experience, craving can cease...little by little...when I first started, I had to have my treats once every other week at least. a few years later, I rarely crave that stuff, like salty crunchy sweet or greasy fried. I still eat them from time to time but it's no longer like crazy way like I lost control...

I think taste buds can be trained as well. After a few years of eating much less of that stuff, they don't taste as delicious as before.

Another way to look at it is don't explore more snack options. You won't crave something you have never tasted.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

Everything has nutritional value. If you crave a Hershey's bar, it might be because chocolate is rich in magnesium and antioxidants (as a for instance).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Someone posted this in response, right? http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1940299/

tl;dr Unless you're craving dirt and chalk (hellllo pica), your cravings are psychological, potentially stress or societally induced. Eat some and move on.

The Huffington Post? Enough said.