to whom does 3000 calories apply to?

Options
I read the eatopia blog about how someone who is recovering from anorexia and is a female younger than 25 should consume 3000 calories at minimum... does anyone know if this is true? I am 95 lbs 5'6 and trying to gain but I'm not sure how to gain with how many calories... i want to at least get to 120 how long would this take? A couple of weeks if I ate whatever or longer or a shorter time period? Sorry so many questions! I don't want to gain in an "unsafe" way...

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have never suffered from an ED so can't tell you how it feels to eat more after eating too low for some time, but I'd say work up to it gradually to not shock your system too hard...Depending on how little you were eating previously I'd go up 300-500 cals per week and see how that goes until you've reached your calorie goal (calculate your BMR and TDEE for someone at a healthy weight for your height, weight and age if you haven't done so already) and from there eat at BMR if you simply wish to maintain your "new" weight and if you feel like it, eat above BMR from there.

Keep on the road to recovery!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    The gradually thing is nice in theory, the problem is that it still encourages restrictive intake. The best way to do it is to start out consuming most of your calories via liquids. Milk, creamer in coffee, sweet teas, juices, broths, etc.

This still could shock your system (so you'll definitely need to speak to a doctor and a nutritionist or dietician regardless, my biggest regret is that I didn't, but I couldn't afford to - as we are literally poverty level and no insurance has went through yet), but less so. It will be a lot less painful.

3,000 sounds about right for a recovering anorexic who is 95 lbs. You may even need about 3,500. My purpose telling you this is to let you know, so that if you ever eat around that much you don't panic. It's normal in the early stages to want to eat everything in sight. Trust your body. It knows what you need.

In the early stages of my own recovery, I listened to my cravings. I went through phases, too. The first was iron (I'm guessing I was almost anemic because I consumed a LOT of iron in the early weeks), then my body craved protein by the bundle (I ate a lot of fish, chicken, beef, and nuts in this stage), then sugar (mmm peeps...), and so on. It can be scary, because these cravings will hit you sporadically and may cause binges, but it's normal, and trust them. Your body knows what it's doing better than that ED voice does.

ETA: Also, recovery takes a while. When I first went in, I dreamt of it being done in a few months. i'm half a year in, and I'm still not fully recovered. Just remember that. Remember, especially, that even when you hit an ideal weight, you still might have some recovering to do.
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    The gradually thing is nice in theory, the problem is that it still encourages restrictive intake. The best way to do it is to start out consuming most of your calories via liquids. Milk, creamer in coffee, sweet teas, juices, broths, etc.

This still could shock your system (so you'll definitely need to speak to a doctor and a nutritionist or dietician regardless, my biggest regret is that I didn't, but I couldn't afford to - as we are literally poverty level and no insurance has went through yet), but less so. It will be a lot less painful.

3,000 sounds about right for a recovering anorexic who is 95 lbs. You may even need about 3,500. My purpose telling you this is to let you know, so that if you ever eat around that much you don't panic. It's normal in the early stages to want to eat everything in sight. Trust your body. It knows what you need.

In the early stages of my own recovery, I listened to my cravings. I went through phases, too. The first was iron (I'm guessing I was almost anemic because I consumed a LOT of iron in the early weeks), then my body craved protein by the bundle (I ate a lot of fish, chicken, beef, and nuts in this stage), then sugar (mmm peeps...), and so on. It can be scary, because these cravings will hit you sporadically and may cause binges, but it's normal, and trust them. Your body knows what it's doing better than that ED voice does.

ETA: Also, recovery takes a while. When I first went in, I dreamt of it being done in a few months. i'm half a year in, and I'm still not fully recovered. Just remember that. Remember, especially, that even when you hit an ideal weight, you still might have some recovering to do.

Congrats on your recovery! :) you said it took longer than a few months, did you hit your ideal weight in a few months or is this including the emotional recovery too? Because right now the last couple of days I haven't been counting but I'm sure I have eaten more than 3000 because I'm on a road trip and have had a lot of shakes and fast food and diner foods. I put in weight gain on MFP and it says to only consume 2010 to gain, do you know why that is?
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    I have never suffered from an ED so can't tell you how it feels to eat more after eating too low for some time, but I'd say work up to it gradually to not shock your system too hard...Depending on how little you were eating previously I'd go up 300-500 cals per week and see how that goes until you've reached your calorie goal (calculate your BMR and TDEE for someone at a healthy weight for your height, weight and age if you haven't done so already) and from there eat at BMR if you simply wish to maintain your "new" weight and if you feel like it, eat above BMR from there.

Keep on the road to recovery!

Thank you so much for your response :D the weird thing is is that I have never eaten under 1200 calories and my tdee is 1400 so it's not far off, I could never eat under 1000 lol I don't understand because I lost in a healthy way but not eating below 1200 I just never knew the stopping point I figured my body would tell me lol
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and 5ft 4 ins and my TDEE is 1900 cals. My BMR (basal metabolic rate which is what you need if you are a functioning body lying in a bed) is 1596.

You've got your numbers totally wrong.

Your TDEE would be around 2000 cals.
    at least and more of course if you are exercising.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think figuring out your TDEE and eating 10% over that is a safe and healthy way to gain. And it will encourage a habit of calorie consumption that is good for you. When you get to goal weight, you'll only have to cut out that extra 10%.
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    MFP suggests 2010 while the blog says 3000 which one to follow?
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use this one but there are plenty on the internet. Try a couple they'll all come in around the same type of numbers.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

speak to a doctor
  • apple_cakes
    apple_cakes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    2,010 seems like quite a low number, 3,000 sounds much better because it'll give you a gradual weight gain, but enough to see a difference! May I also suggest maybe starting weight training when you feel up to it? Having an eating disorder, a lot of your muscle is eaten away and it'll help replenish any that has been lost whilst providing weight gain from muscle weight. Good luck it'll be a struggle but your health is worth it :flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

speak to a doctor
  • aniazawadzki
    Options

speak to a doctor

I have and they said not to count but I'm worried then I won't eat enough to gain because of habits and sticking to the same routine :/
  • aniazawadzki
    Options
    2,010 seems like quite a low number, 3,000 sounds much better because it'll give you a gradual weight gain, but enough to see a difference! May I also suggest maybe starting weight training when you feel up to it? Having an eating disorder, a lot of your muscle is eaten away and it'll help replenish any that has been lost whilst providing weight gain from muscle weight. Good luck it'll be a struggle but your health is worth it :flowerforyou:

Aw thank you :) what do you mean by gradual? Would the weight come on quickly or would it burn to replenish everything first?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

speak to a doctor

I have and they said not to count but I'm worried then I won't eat enough to gain because of habits and sticking to the same routine :/

then tell your doctor this...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You really need to speak to a physician about this. People who have been starved/malnourished may experience refeeding syndrome, in which their BMR dramatically rises, which can alter macronutrient metabolism and cause all kinds of problems. People on a message board aren't qualified to help you with this.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your journey to recovery.

Please see your doctor about this and do not, I repeat: DO NOT, rely on the advice of an internet forum to treat your disorder.

No really. SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!!!! And good luck with the rest of your journey :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and 5ft 4 ins and my TDEE is 1900 cals. My BMR (basal metabolic rate which is what you need if you are a functioning body lying in a bed) is 1596.

You've got your numbers totally wrong.

Your TDEE would be around 2000 cals.
    at least and more of course if you are exercising.

Please ignore this and speak to your Dr. :flowerforyou:
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I read the eatopia blog about how someone who is recovering from anorexia and is a female younger than 25 should consume 3000 calories at minimum... does anyone know if this is true? I am 95 lbs 5'6 and trying to gain but I'm not sure how to gain with how many calories... i want to at least get to 120 how long would this take? A couple of weeks if I ate whatever or longer or a shorter time period? Sorry so many questions! I don't want to gain in an "unsafe" way...

You do not want drastic changes. You want to go with something you can stick with.
    I maintain weight at 2,000 calories a day. I would say to aim for that for about 2 weeks. See how you feel and adjust it a little up or down based on that.

I think you are right 3,000 a day seems drastic.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I think figuring out your TDEE and eating 10% over that is a safe and healthy way to gain. And it will encourage a habit of calorie consumption that is good for you. When you get to goal weight, you'll only have to cut out that extra 10%.

QFT.

TDEE and other calorie calculators are a jumping off point, not gospel from on high. My TDEE 'should be' around 2200 calories, but for whatever reason is about 10% lower than that.