FitBit, Jawbone, Garmin, FuelBand...

2»

Replies

• nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147 Member
    Avoid fuelband,,, nike is getting out of the device field and is instead going to partner with an apple product.

Jawbone and fitbit aren't necessarily the tops in terms of accuracy, but with these devices, connectivity and flexibility are just as key, and you will get the most of that with those two.

We are getting close to a time when your doctor will be able to cross reference your MFP nutrition data, fitbit activity and vitals data, and medical records for a complete and ongoing picture of your health, as opposed to the snapshot they get every 6-12 months.

Just imagine getting a call from your doctor out of the blue because your weight and BP changed out of sync with your caloric intake and it caused a red flag based on either a prior health condition or family history. That's the future of effective and efficient patient centered healthcare.
  • I have a BodyMedia armband (now joined with Jawbone apparently). I also have a Garmin 310xt. They serve totally different purposes. The BodyMedia tracks my activity and sleep, while the Garmin paces my runs.

The BodyMedia armband has been tested against gold standards of caloric expenditure (doubly labeled water) and been found to be extremely accurate.

LOVE my BodyMedia Link band. And I can say that I have found that it calculates quite accurately. Using the caloric expenditure list posted above, my caloric expenditure is spot on.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Chose the fitbit One over the Flex, as it has a display and the flex hasn't. The One is practically identical with the now recalled force which I used to have, only as a clip on instead of a watch. At the beginning I saw this as a disadvantage, but no longer as the clip can go on my bra or pants and does not ruin my "looks". I also have now a Polar multi sports watch with heart rate monitor and if I had still the force I would have to wear two watches. The Flex is NOT a watch, the One can be used as one.
    The One does also count floors and the flex as much as I know does not.
    Stef.
  • 22PixieDust
    22PixieDust Posts: 4 Member
    I have a BodyMedia armband (now joined with Jawbone apparently). I also have a Garmin 310xt. They serve totally different purposes. The BodyMedia tracks my activity and sleep, while the Garmin paces my runs.

The BodyMedia armband has been tested against gold standards of caloric expenditure (doubly labeled water) and been found to be extremely accurate.

I'm curious to know whether the information from your BodyMedia syncs all the way through to your Garmin Connect (via MFP). I'm considering getting the UP24 or the Vivosmart, but where/how the information gets shared (if at all) will impact on my decision.