How to get faster at running

2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    A lot of concensous in the long distance running community is to try to long lots of slow easy miles to get faster.

That's a big part of it.

Intervals (in the broad sense) are another big part of it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    My goal are all over the place?

I'm sorry that you seem to be offended by the observations on what I see here. You asked the question, its up to you to take the feedback in the spirit with which it was intended, or you can be offended. Your choice.

I see lots of questions from you that dont appear to point towards a coherent goal. If you do have a goal in mind then that's fine, be clear about it and plan towards it.

Your performance is undoubtedly good, but you're reaching a stage where you can't just rely on talent.

To put it in context I shot competitively for about 10 years. Four of those were very rapid progression, then the gains were much harder to achieve and involved very different ttraining, with new coaches. You appear to be at a stage where you need someone to help you refine your goals and plan against delivering on them.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    My progress has recently stalled.. I feel slow.. Sluggish..

I appreciate that you subsequently rushed into a 50K without much preparation, but in principle I'd see this as the issue.

Your goals appear to be all over the place.

Wow. You are so correct since march 1st, I had ONLY ran a 20, 22, 21, 26.2, 19, 17, 16, 26.2 + in preperation for the 50k..

Totally "rushed"

Can you explain my phenomenal performance?

My goal are all over the place?

Oh so I wanting to get faster while training for ultras is all over the place? So be it.

Well you're not lacking in humility are you? :noway:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Be born a Kenyan...I think that would be your only help beyond this point.......:heart:

how would that help? are Kenyan's born with the innate ability to listen to people with wisdom and experience? do Kenyan's possess humility? Do Kenyan's not respond like a petulant child when the advice they get is not what they wanted to hear?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Can you just stop?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Can you just stop?
    How does that make someone faster?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Be born a Kenyan...I think that would be your only help beyond this point.......:heart:

how would that help? are Kenyan's born with the innate ability to listen to people with wisdom and experience? do Kenyan's possess humility? Do Kenyan's not respond like a petulant child when the advice they get is not what they wanted to hear?
    Maybe they're better at trolling without being so obvious about it.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Nigerians...

...royalty, specifically.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    A lot of concensous in the long distance running community is to try to long lots of slow easy miles to get faster.

For example. I run a 20 min 5k... Just under 6:30 per mile.

When I go for an "easy run" I *should* be running 8-10 min pace

This week I've been trying to do all my runs between 7:30-7 min pace. It feels really good.

Has anyone experienced improved speed by simply running fast every day?

I noticed you were from EP, I live in Apple Valley, are you signed up for the Torchlight 5k or Monster Dash Half? Those are the two I'm doing this summer :)
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Before I answer, is there another thread that I need to be aware of?

^this

I'm actually looking for a punchline.

Woah--Walter White is in this thread! I'm a huge fan!! :laugh:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member

Let it rest okay. He was born in Hawaii. They have a birth certificate and everything.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member

Let it rest okay. He was born in Hawaii. They have a birth certificate and everything.
    wtf you talking about?
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member

^this

she started a thread complaining people were telling her good job with a marathon time that qualified for boston. she was embarassed she did not reach her goal. basically she was attempting to humble brag and looking for attention and people here to tell her how good she did. most caught on quicl
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member

^this

she started a thread complaining people were telling her good job with a marathon time that qualified for boston. she was embarassed she did not reach her goal. basically she was attempting to humble brag and looking for attention and people here to tell her how good she did. most caught on quicl

Oh, I'm well aware of her history. Most regulars on the forums are. This was my way of pointing out the general trend of her threads...that many of them are "jokes" that rely on an inside story, but with a common humblebrag theme.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    If you want to run faster, you need to run more.

http://www.runnersworld.com/elite-runners/they-might-be-ryans
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member

For example. I run a 20 min 5k... Just under 6:30 per mile.

When I go for an "easy run" I *should* be running 8-10 min pace

This week I've been trying to do all my runs between 7:30-7 min pace. It feels really good.

Has anyone experienced improved speed by simply running fast every day?

I noticed you were from EP, I live in Apple Valley, are you signed up for the Torchlight 5k or Monster Dash Half? Those are the two I'm doing this summer :)

I'm doing torchlight- yes :) hopefully not as hot as last year :-/