Heavy Lifting Goals for Ladies?

Options

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting off and on for 20 years, consistently for the last 2 1/2. My best squat within the last year was 315, with a competition best of 209 ( my squat fell apart on me this year and I'm working on getting it back together). Best bench is 120, with 110 in comp. Deadlift is 330, both gym and comp. I'm 5'8.5", 170lbs. Squat goal for the year is to get it back to where it was, bench is to bench my bodyweight, and deadlift, I'm gunning for 400+ by the end of the year.

How is your squat comp weight so far off?
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I'm not a beast but going to answer anyway

squats- 150 is a 2RM for back squat, 140 for front squat
    goal right now of more than I weigh, I'll make a new goal from there
    bench press- 75lbs for a 10rep max, 95 for a 3RM
    goal is 100. will re-goal from there
    and deadlifts- I have a bad back so not sure exactly
    weight/height to get some perspective- 5'5", 157
    How much do you tend to increase a month? In the beginning a lot, now 5-10lbs a month
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 9 and currently weigh 134 been training for about a year. Per the strength standards, I am past intermediate for all my lifts and moving to advanced.

My current PR's are

DL 210lbs
    Squat 170lbs
    BP 100 but have not tested in a bit

rieann84 the gloves are making your grip worse on the deadlift. Chalk helps with grip as well as just time.
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I've just started heavy lifting, been doing it about a week, so these are really my 'base' numbers.

Bench: 60 - 5x5
    Squat: 100 - 5x5
    Too intimidated by Deadlifts, afraid I'll hurt myself.
    Overhead Press: 40 - 5x5
    Bent-over Row: 45 - 5x5

5'7" 249lbs.

I'm obviously in the weight loss stage, so I'm eating at a heavy deficit. Once I reach my goal of 150, I intend to go up to 160 with muscle.

My goals for this time next month are:

Bench: 70 - 5x5
    Squat: 125 - 5x5
    Deadlifts: To start; it'll take some experimenting to find what I'm comfortable at.
    Overhead Press: 50 - 5x5
    Bent-over Row: 60 - 5x5
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Stats:
    Height: 5'0
    Weight: 110 (want to get to 105)

My #s are kind of blah, but by goals for the summer are to hit body weight for squats and dead lifts (I'm pretty close). And for OHP and bench press, just to get out of the 50s range :grumble: lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I started heavy lifting this past Jan. Did Starting Strength first, switched to All Pro's Beginner Workout when I noticed fatigue getting worse. I was still cutting then, and All Pro's is supposed to be more forgiving while cutting. Then I shifted to bulking, so I probably could have stayed with Starting Strength after all.

I'm 5'3", SW 117, CW 123.

Current weights (all at 2 x 8 this week - week 1 of the cycle):

Squat: 115
    Bench: 75
    OHP: 45 (plenty of strength to go up, lacking endurance)
    Bent-over Row: 70
    Stiff-legged Deadlift: 115 (have a lot of room to increase here, grip starting to become an issue but legs are fine)

This program is a 5-wk cycle. Every week of the cycle, I add an extra rep to all sets. I increase the weight by 10% after the cycle IF I hit 2 x 12 for that exercise on the 5th week test day. So far, the only one I've stalled at was OHP on the first cycle - seems I wasn't tightening my core enough. Now that I'm doing that, I'm having no trouble with 45 lbs and likely should be at 50 ... but I'd rather not rush it. I'll stall on that lift again soon enough.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I've just started heavy lifting, been doing it about a week, so these are really my 'base' numbers.

Bench: 60 - 5x5
    Squat: 100 - 5x5
    Too intimidated by Deadlifts, afraid I'll hurt myself.
    Overhead Press: 40 - 5x5
    Bent-over Row: 45 - 5x5

5'7" 249lbs.

I'm obviously in the weight loss stage, so I'm eating at a heavy deficit. Once I reach my goal of 150, I intend to go up to 160 with muscle.

My goals for this time next month are:

Bench: 70 - 5x5
    Squat: 125 - 5x5
    Deadlifts: To start; it'll take some experimenting to find what I'm comfortable at.
    Overhead Press: 50 - 5x5
    Bent-over Row: 60 - 5x5

Just a suggestion for the deadlift - try the bar plus 2 10lb bumper plates first. Be cautious on the pull. When I was following instructions - tense the muscles prior to the lift, etc, I found that was WAY too light and I nearly hurt myself flinging the weights into next week! I actually flung the barbell into my chest, lost my grip, and had to catch the bar again on the way down. Not cool. :embarassed:

If that pull is easy for you like it was for me, add on weight until you're at a light-moderate intensity. I found the lift a lot easier to learn with a decent amount of weight on the bar, but still light enough that I could hold or adjust in mid-lift easily. Too little, and I couldn't feel what I was doing at all.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting off and on for 20 years, consistently for the last 2 1/2. My best squat within the last year was 315, with a competition best of 209 ( my squat fell apart on me this year and I'm working on getting it back together). Best bench is 120, with 110 in comp. Deadlift is 330, both gym and comp. I'm 5'8.5", 170lbs. Squat goal for the year is to get it back to where it was, bench is to bench my bodyweight, and deadlift, I'm gunning for 400+ by the end of the year.

My squat fell apart on me earlier this year. One week I was taking 275 to depth for reps, the next week, couldn't get 185 half way down. No injury, nothing to explain it. The strength is still there, just working on getting my body and my brain to trust each other again getting out of the hole.

First comp, I bombed out on squats - thought I had backed the weight off enough to go clean but I didn't. Second comp I backed the weight off even more to accommodate, just so I could get a clean squat so they could actually give me the provincial deadlift record. Anyone who has seen the video of my competition squat agrees I could have gone a fair bit heavier and still been clean.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have good stretches for the hamstrings?

I can't get as far into my squat as I'd like and I'm fairly certain it's due to tight hamstrings (I thought it was tight ankles, but I seem to be okay-ish there). Or any other suggestions for getting deeper into squats?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

My squat fell apart on me earlier this year. One week I was taking 275 to depth for reps, the next week, couldn't get 185 half way down. No injury, nothing to explain it. The strength is still there, just working on getting my body and my brain to trust each other again getting out of the hole.

First comp, I bombed out on squats - thought I had backed the weight off enough to go clean but I didn't. Second comp I backed the weight off even more to accommodate, just so I could get a clean squat so they could actually give me the provincial deadlift record. Anyone who has seen the video of my competition squat agrees I could have gone a fair bit heavier and still been clean.

What fed and meet was that?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

I can't get as far into my squat as I'd like and I'm fairly certain it's due to tight hamstrings (I thought it was tight ankles, but I seem to be okay-ish there). Or any other suggestions for getting deeper into squats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJGKAiX0z0
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Alberta Powerlifting Union. First meet was farewell to w-95, second was big rock open
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJGKAiX0z0

Thank you so much for that. I've never seen that technique before and will definitely try it out (as the one I had from an old physical therapist did not seem to help much).
  • juliewatkin
    Options

Alberta Powerlifting Union. First meet was farewell to w-95, second was big rock open

I hope you keep coming out. Alberta has a good fed. I run Ontario.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

foam rolling

and check out Kelly Starlett- has great mobility workouts
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    My most recent competition results were our national championships.

bw:121.5lbs
    squat:231.5lbs
    bench:121.3lbs
    deadlift: 297.6lbs

fwiw, I could pull over 200lbs almost as soon as I started training but it took years to go from 200 to over 300. Newbie gains are great but they do start to taper off. The die hards are the ones who continue despite slow gains and set backs.
  • jrhanna84
    jrhanna84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and 5'4". I've been lifting since the end of September 2013. My numbers are the following:

Deadlift- stalled @ 220
    Squat - 185
    Bench Press - 125
    Plank - 2:30

Those are the only ones that I test right now and my goal for every month is to progress.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Current weights: 225 back squat, 135 bench, 100 strict OHP (hit 105 once), 265 deadlift. i also pulled 200 right off the bat on DL. Would like to get to 150 bench & 300 deadlift by end of summer and 250 back squat by end of year. I have not worked on bench nearly as much as my other lifts. OHP i pretty stalled but i am coming along in push press and jerk. I have a deadlift comp at end of summer so I am not training my back squat as much as usual right now. I saw major gains on back squat doing the old-fashioned 20 consecutive back squat challenge this spring. I am 170 and plan to stay here til after a powerlifting meet at end of summer because that's where I would currently be most competitive. ...then drop down to 165 (aka 75 kg) and evaluate from there. i have a big Crossfit comp in October, and I think my optimal weight would be 155; that would put me about 20% Bf if I maintained my current muscle mass. I have been lifting with barbells for 8 months but I have been using dumbbells and machines off and on since 2000 ish.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My most recent competition results were our national championships.

bw:121.5lbs
    squat:231.5lbs
    bench:121.3lbs
    deadlift: 297.6lbs

fwiw, I could pull over 200lbs almost as soon as I started training but it took years to go from 200 to over 300. Newbie gains are great but they do start to taper off. The die hards are the ones who continue despite slow gains and set backs.

inspirational! thanks!
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't remember my weights, as I got sick...then we had to stop using that gym (hubbs no longer in the Navy) and work has kept me from having time to find a different one....anyway I do remember that I was squatting 190. The rest I don't remember, but it was enough to make some of the Navy boys cry. My only goal is to fix my blood pressure (it bottoms out). A bonus to it is that I will keep going, hoping to catch up to my husband's numbers. =)