Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5. 155 lbs
    Deadlift: 265
    Bench: 130
    Squat: 215
    Goals? Just keep getting heavier. At this point I don't see myself pulling much heavier than that. I guess Deadlift 275 would be nice. Bench... my body weight but I want to drop 10 lbs first (hehe) need all the help I can get and squat... 225. I hope to hit those # by next summer. I don't focus on lifting only. I do CrossFit & right now I'm more concerned with my endurance and cardiovascular as they lack.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy since early February starting with SL and now transitioning to 5/3/1. I've never tested a 1rm but should have some firmer numbers on that in a couple of weeks.

Current stats: 5'8" 166lbs
    Squat 140lbs x 6
    Deadlift 155lbs x 5
    Bench 120lbs x 3
    OHP 70lbs x 6

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with my DL's as I was hoping to have broken body weight by now, but that's one of my reasons for moving to 5/3/1, we'll see how it goes. I haven't set any specific goals as far as how much weight by when, but I'd love to get my bench up to body weight and my OHP over 100lbs.....eventually.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm about a year into lifting and just really started upping my numbers in the last 4-5 months. I'm 5'9 and 157 lb. Squat: 165x5, Deadlift 200x1 (175x3), and Bench is 95x3. My goal is just to keep upping the weight. I absolutely love weight lifting and love my progressive program. I hit the 200x1 on deadlift last week and that was huuuuuge for me! That was my first mini goal to hit the 200's....can't wait to keep those numbers moving up!
  • momsfavoritechild
    momsfavoritechild Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is great information to save for future reference. Thanks for posting/sharing the info!
  • kylebkmyfitnesspal
    kylebkmyfitnesspal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How many reps for all of these heavy weights?
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting since sept 2013
    BW is 180 ish and 5'5"

I haven't tested any maxes since my last competition in April but here's where I am now.

DL PR is 285
    Squat 250 ( I'm pretty sure this is higher now I've been doing sets of 8-10 reps at 210 lately)
    Bench PR 115 (I've totally slacked off on benching as I am training for my next strongman comp)
    OHP 115
    And my strongman event numbers:
    Log Press 120
    Yoke 350 for 60 ft
    Sled drag 500lbs
    Atlas stones 200 lbs
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    How many reps for all of these heavy weights?

I'd assume that, unless otherwise stated, they are one rep maxes.
  • Syrupcity67
    Syrupcity67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ive been lifting for 10 weeks now and love it.

5'6 204lbs, goal =155 one of these days.

all with 45lb bar

deadlift 60kg- struggling to advance due to form. Seem to keep cheese grating my shins...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    OHP 20kg...hardest
    Row 35kg
    Squat 75kg
    leg press 110kg
    Bench 35kg.

5x5
    I dont have a goal or end point set in stone just keeping doing it.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    it`s a complicated answer for me !

5ft 6 - currently 190 ish - BW goal 160

My static lifts are not my main focus - I am competitive kettle bell lifter so high rep snatches with the 20kg bell is my focus ( goal for August 130 reps non stop - 1 hand hand switch - under 10 mins ) The training for THAT tears up my hands and murders my forearms so it is not easy chasing my other lifts and sometimes simply not practical

On saying that

Squat - currently 177 lb with excellent form for 5 sets 3 reps
    Dead lifts - 225 lb ( as above )

My short term goal is to squat my body weight while retaining the form and dead lift 250 - 270 - My main focus is maintaining proper form so I can work on jumping that weight at a time when my competition schedule allows me to back of the bell work
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    deadlift 60kg- struggling to advance due to form. Seem to keep cheese grating my shins...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The only suggestion I have for this is yoga pants.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

and make sure your using a barbell made for deadlifting

barbell_01b.jpg
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

barbell_01b.jpg

knee socks. Most people don't have access to a nice variety of bars. Me personally, I'd like access to a super whippy deadlift bar :)

You should also not really be scraping it up your legs so much. I used to have grated shins but after years of lifting, the bar is close to my shins but barely touching.
  • Syrupcity67
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Im going to work with a personal trainer next week to hopefully get it right
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

barbell_01b.jpg

knee socks. Most people don't have access to a nice variety of bars. Me personally, I'd like access to a super whippy deadlift bar :)

You should also not really be scraping it up your legs so much. I used to have grated shins but after years of lifting, the bar is close to my shins but barely touching.

this.

it's better to have it a little to close than a little to far away- but I don't understand the recent obsession with tall socks and bashed to hell shins. I rarely scrap my shins.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    5'6" 190lbs

Lift PR's
    Squat 265lbs
    Deadlift 275lbs
    Bench Press 155lbs

Goal for the year
    Squat 300lbs
    Deadlift 325lbs
    Bench Press 180lbs

I've been heavy barbell training for a year. I have had to work through a back injury and am currently in PT for some knee issues. So, I hope to make these goals, but if I don't I know I have tried my best.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 about 190lbs

All of these are my usual weight for reps, I've never really tried for a 1RM

Squat 185
    Deadlift 145
    (I've got horrible hand grip and haven't tried anything yet to assist)
    Clean and Press 80
    Leg Press 340

I wouldn't say I'm new to lifting, but I've been working on my routine a lot, and switching things up so these numbers are always changing. I'm not a big chest presser, and when I do, I use dumbbells which are a lot more challenging for me. Also, I had a hip strain which stalled my squats, but it turned into a hip injury which has stopped them altogether so we'll see where I'm at when I heal :ohwell:
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 about 190lbs

Squat 185
    Deadlift 145
    Clean and Press 80
    Leg Press 340

I wouldn't say I'm new to lifting, but I've been working on my routine a lot, and switching things up so these numbers are always changing. I'm not a big chest presser, and when I do, I use dumbbells which are a lot more challenging for me. Also, I had a hip strain which stalled my squats, but it turned into a hip injury which has stopped them altogether so we'll see where I'm at when I heal :ohwell:

Fat Gripz - use them on your warm up sets and some work sets. Dumb bells and barbells. Your grip strength will grow ridiculously fast.

http://amzn.to/1uAYpwZ

Also rack pulls with heavier weights improve grip strength.

Even holding the bar as hard as possible will help.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 about 190lbs

Squat 185
    Deadlift 145
    Clean and Press 80
    Leg Press 340

Fat Gripz - use them on your warm up sets and some work sets. Dumb bells and barbells. Your grip strength will grow ridiculously fast.

http://amzn.to/1uAYpwZ

Also rack pulls with heavier weights improve grip strength.

Even holding the bar as hard as possible will help.

Thanks! I've only heard of people saying to use straps on the sets you need so you can still increase weight, not stall, and wait for grip strength to grow. Which I never felt like trying lol
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

barbell_01b.jpg

this.

it's better to have it a little to close than a little to far away- but I don't understand the recent obsession with tall socks and bashed to hell shins. I rarely scrap my shins.

My guess would be that you need to stick your butt out more and make sure your lower back is flat -- that should put you slightly forward so you're pulling more up when the bar is lower. Or you're starting with the bar too close to your shins. I start with it over my the ball of my foot is -- a few inches back from my toe end, then bend forward so that my shins are touching the bar. But as I lift up, the bar doesn't scrape my shins.
  • Syrupcity67
    Options

barbell_01b.jpg

this.

My guess would be that you need to stick your butt out more and make sure your lower back is flat -- that should put you slightly forward so you're pulling more up when the bar is lower. Or you're starting with the bar too close to your shins. I start with it over my the ball of my foot is -- a few inches back from my toe end, then bend forward so that my shins are touching the bar. But as I lift up, the bar doesn't scrape my shins.

Will try this! Thanks