AM or PM workouts

Options
I work a 8-5 job , able to workout either before or after work. I'm weighing out my pros & cos workout in the am or pm. What do you prefer?

Replies

• BarbieFromHellx
    BarbieFromHellx Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I much prefer mornings. My gym is always emptier, and for some reason I have more motivation. I can never be bothered to work out in the evenings especially if I've had a busy/stressful day.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I start my day out with light cardio. Usually 15 minutes of it. It helps wake me up. Other than that, I prefer PM. Some say PM makes it hard for them to fall asleep. I don't know... I've always struggled with sleep, and have found it actually has the opposite effect on me.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I tend to do PM workouts, but that's mostly so no one can see me running all undignified and huffing and puffing while I desperately try to get back into shape. Haha!!

EDIT: It also helps me sleep really well at night.
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    PM - helps me unwind from whatever crappy day I had. Zen out on the stairmaster/treadmill/whatever.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like doing a little something in the morning to wake myself up and get going, but I'm finding I prefer evenings. Our gym seems emptier then and about an hour after I work out I can fall into the deadest, best sleep ever.

Though, as I'm finding myself become more of a morning person, this might change.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I much prefer AM. I feel sick to my stomach if I workout after eating. Even if I wait an hour or even two.
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I prefer PM. I have a pretty stressful job, so it helps relieve any stress from the day.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer AM. I am so ready to just relax after 4pm.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem, but my husband does. His commute is only about 7 miles round trip, so he either bikes or runs to work for his cardio. Then, after work, he comes home and lifts weights before dinner. We've gotten to where we plan family time around his workouts so he can get them in. Sometimes we lift together, and our 6 year old son joins us (he sucks at weightlifting, but he rocks pushups).

If you can't turn your commute into a workout, maybe alternating cardio and lifting days will help.

AM or PM is up to you, really. Sometimes a morning workout is just what I need to get going for the day. But sometimes a PM workout blasts away any stress that built up from the day at work.

Good luck! And great job making a commitment to health despite your busy schedule. :drinker:
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I prefer the AM for 4 reasons.... (1)it is less crowded (2)I could have the best intentions of working out after work but it wouldn't happen (3)I'm more tired after my day so my workout after work is not as good (4)to get it done and over with so I can just focus on the rest of the day without worrying about having to workout to meet my calories or whatever at the end
  • nesto610
    nesto610 Posts: 107
    Options
    I prefer to workout in the pm after work. And I mean as soon as my *kitten* gets home from work, otherwise said *kitten* would find its way to the couch and not leave it all night.

Also, I need food in me to have a decent workout and I get nauseous if I eat too early after waking up. I have no idea why, but I have always been that way.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I prefer mornings, but will do a workout whenever I can get one in.
  • kingneptune45
    kingneptune45 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My gym is open 24 hours a day. I prefer the nighttime workouts... especially after dinner. This way I know the only thing I need to be consuming after my workout is a protein shake.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I do both. I PREFER AM workouts. I think its a great way to start the day. BUT, after a long frustrating 'I want to kill a particular coworker' day at the office, an evening run makes me feel better.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    AM because I feel like I do better then than after work. Unfortunately, on the weekends my gym doesn't open until 8 and I go into work at 5 or 6, so those days I have to hold off until mid-afternoon.
  • Shylin
    Shylin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've never been much of a morning person and find I have the best energy in the evenings so I tend to workout about an hour after dinner.
  • ploppersdf1
    ploppersdf1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i like doing pm workouts they help me sleep better, i don't have to wake up early, they are more convenient with my husbands schedule and they help me unwind after a long day.
  • _AwesomeSauce_
    Options
    AM for sure! Get in, get fit, get out!
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I prefer PM because I already have to get up at 5 AM just to get to work as it is.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    On days when I'm off from work, I do AM workouts. On days when I do work, I do PM. On days when I have both work and evening classes (5 AM to 10 PM straight), I can't exercise at all!! Lol. On those days, I'll try to do some mini exercises during breaks/lunch time at work but it's difficult when those days run together because I get very drained. Next fall, it'll be Monday through Thursday with this schedule and I have no idea how that's gonna work out. :( Overall, it's actually harder for me to be motivated in the evening though because usually I'm just so darn tired, I'd rather just eat and go to bed.