AM or PM workouts

Options

Replies

• muppet1501
    muppet1501 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mornings on a weekend when my kids are still asleep. Means I can really push myself then and through the week I do it around 5-6ish as I also work through the day and he gives me an energy boost to continue for the rest of the evening.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    ive done both, but found AM is MUCH better. Sets the day off right and keeps me on tap eating wise too. I felt lethargic after eating during the day and working out at night anf its too easy to mentally skip it after a long day at work.
  • theoncomingstorm6464
    theoncomingstorm6464 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I've never been a morning person, no matter how hard I've tried. So, it's evening/after work for me.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I do both. It just depends on what my scheudle is that day. I can't say either is better than the other. I don't mind either of them and like them equally. Sorry I'm not much help.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    AM for me. That's when I have the time without sacrificing the needs of my family. I used to be the "I'm not a morning person" complainer. I'm still NOT a morning person, but I had to make the choice--get up at 05:00 and bust my hump, or sleep in til 7 or 8 and continue being a slob.

Either way, I'm still a grouch before 8 (seriously, I p!$$ and moan through my workouts all the time, lol), but I'm becoming a better me for taking on the "just going to it, no excuses for me" attitude.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I ride my bike for 1 hour before work. I lift heavy for 1 hour at lunch. I ride my bike for 1-2 hours after work...so I prefer...all of the above...lol.
  • HannahLynn91
    HannahLynn91 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I work the same hours, 8-5. I prefer AM workouts. I recently just got into the groove of it again after two months of... nothing ha!

I used to get home and do my jog, but I found I hated it, and could easily talk myself out of it by the time I got home from work.

I wake up an hour earlier now, go for a jog, and feel great the whole day because of it. Getting up was the hardest part, but after a few days it becomes habit.
  • KingNitty
    KingNitty Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I usually do morning cardio and evening weights.
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was never, ever a morning person. Once I got myself out of bed, and into a routine, I prefer AM workouts any day! It is extremely hard in the beginning, but worth it!

Once you get your workout over with in the AM, you have the rest of the day to yourself. Once you get home from work, you have time for errands, relaxation, etc. Plus, you feel energized throughout your day. It keeps you going, and you get that extra energy boost. Just in my opinion, if I have to workout after work, I feel like I am dragging a little bit and "not giving it my all."
  • stee8204
    stee8204 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my PM workouts, I've notice I sleep so much better after a good workout!!! I used to do morning workouts but I could never do my best at them because I was still so tired. I'm not much of a morning person. : )
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    PM - helps me unwind from whatever crappy day I had. Zen out on the stairmaster/treadmill/whatever.

^^ +1. I find that if I've had a particularly stressful, aggravating, just plain ol terrible day a nice long workout really helps me unwind. I feel like it also prevents me from bringing the bad day home because i go from work straight to the gym. Also if I've had a spectacular day and I'm happy as can be it helps propel me into this "I'm unstoppable" grind and it is just makes you feel that much more accomplished!

Now if I have a day off and I'm going to the gym I prefer to get it over with in the morning.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    MORNINGS! After working all day, I feel sluggish and not as motivated to get in the gym and actually push myself, I just go through the motions. So it's better to go in there early in the mornings before your day even starts and just knock it out and then you have the rest of your day to not even worry about it
  • _toyatip08
    _toyatip08 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    AM, I have a 2 year old that likes to sleep in so I wake up an hour before her and do my Zumba. That way we can spend more time together in the evenings. I usually do light weights and ab lounger in the evening about 15-30min when she goes to bed.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I usually work out in the evening but whatever works best for your schedule will be the best for you.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I work out at home.... so I used to come home and work out but with it being so hot in the afternoons now, I've started working out before work so I can go for a run without having heat stroke and I'm finding that it really helps put me in a better mood and prepared for the day ahead. Also, now I can spend the evenings with my hubby instead of having to workout when he's home.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Some days: both. Other days: morning. I like a hard workout in the morning before I eat anything; it sets up a good day. But I bike to work most days and the 2x/day workout is awesome.
  • MrsBenTarr
    MrsBenTarr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning. I have a habit of finding an excuse to not work out after work, but there are no excuses at 4 am. I have gotten used to waking up that early, and I honestly feel crummy if I skip a morning workout. It puts me in the right state of mind to conquer the day.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Morning so I can have a life after work.

Oh, and if I get myself to the gym before I fully wake up, it's too late to skip.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Mornings. My gym is way too crowded after work and I have school at night, so I kind of had to turn myself into a morning person.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    While I really prefer mid morning, seeing as I have to be at work before 7am and work is twenty miles away (in LA/Orange County traffic no less) I usually workout between 3 and 4pm. Sometimes 6:30 if i have a child to teach after work (i teach) and then i give the dogs their three mile walk after the gym, so i usually end up in bed by 10pm. No I am not getting up at 3:30am to feed dogs, get myself ready to go, drive to the gym, shower and be at work by 6:30am. Ain't happening. I like to sleep. :-)