Gained weight so far ... I hate exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Many people hate it at first and come to love it later - especially considering the way it makes you feel (the endorphins, the self confidence boost, the energy, the stress relief, the improved sleep...etc). Give it time and you will most likely come to enjoy it!

Also, look for exercise that you DO enjoy! Like hiking? Find a good trail. Like to swim? Maybe running is your thing. Or how about a fitness class - there are a huge variety. Try one of the Beachbody programs like P90X or (once you're more in shape) Insanity. Give yourself a variety of options so you don't burn out.

Keep at it...it gets SO much better! :)

Agreed you have to like the exercise you're doing, otherwise you won't stick with it. I don't like to run either, my husband is a runner and has a gym downstairs, but I get bored with machines. I am a social person, so if I don't work out with others I won't lol. So it's Jazzercise for me.

The biggest problem that I see with beginner exercisers, is right off the bat they plan this insane exercise schedule that most seasoned exercisers couldn't keep up with. You know the 7 days a week, twice a day thing that will burn them out on the first day. Making them hate exercising all the more. Overweight people who are not accustomed to working out need to start off slowly, 2 to 3 times a week, and once they feel comfortable with that they can move up to 4 and they can also increase the intensity of their workouts as they start to gain endurance. Some need only to start walking a mile or 2, then someday that turns into a little jog, then after that a 5k. Any exercise routine is like that. None of us were born with endurance, that part has to be earned thru being consistent with your workouts and pushing yourself while doing it.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The food intake is more than half the battle, so absolutely stay the course with that. Calories in, calories out. But as far as exercise… So many things out there will help you burn calories. It doesn't have to look like exercise. Yard work (lawn mowing, gardening, raking leaves, shoveling snow, etc). Hiking. Swimming. Walking the dog. Playing with kids. House cleaning. Shopping. Dancing. There are so many things you can do. Just find something you enjoy.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    When you want a change, you've gotta make time.
    I'm a full time graduate student (who's only break from class is a one month span in December-January), and also half time at my job. I'm exhausted a lot. I'm always busy. But I still make exercise a priority.

Cutting calories is only half the battle; exercise will only help you reach your goals faster. I made it to the halfway point of my goal in two months by doing both (14lbs). Find ways to incorporate exercise into your spare time. Do cardio during commercials while watching TV. Park your car farther from your job so you have to walk. Find time on the weekends to dedicate 30min-hour per day towards working out. There's easy ways to incorporate it, if you find you don't have the time. Heck, sometimes I lunge my way through my office!

Echoing what people said above; find something you like. Experiment, and when you find something you enjoy, stick with it. Just starting out is going to stink, since you're not used to it. Don't get discouraged, and push through it. It will get easier over time, and your stamina/endurance will only go up with each additional step you take.
  • meowincat
    meowincat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, a week and a half later, I've started exercising (cardio and strength) and now I've GAINED ANOTHER POUND!! Very disheartening. That's it - I'm going to keep track of my measurements instead of my weight (more concerned about that anyway) I'm also going to set this thing to lose more weight each week - I think the calories are set too high. grumble grumble grrr.....
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    sigh. I've gained 2 pounds since I started using this. I stay under the calorie limit on average, but I haven't been exercising. I started last night - obviously I have to keep it up. I hate exercise! I work 3 part-time jobs, so finding time is hard. But I'm going on a cruise in 10 months so I really need to get with it!

Losing weight is 80-90% diet. Just look at how many calories you have in a meal and look at how much exercise it takes to burn off that many calories. So it's easier to control your intake than try to burn it off. However exercise is good at buying back some calories. Depending on what you do it can be a lot of calories. So you can lose weight with no exercise.

Make sure you log everything, even a little taste here and there. You can nickel and dime yourself out of a 100 or more calories a day with little tastes.

Instead of exercising find an activity that you like. Walking is easy and anybody can do it. No special equipment required. You can run, you can bike, you can swim, you can dance, you can use videos or you can go outside. It doesn't have to be the same thing every day either. Find some kind of movement you like. It's hard initially because you're not coordinated and your muscles aren't strong, including your heart and lungs. So don't push so hard that you hate it. Eventually it gets to be a habit you love but it takes time.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    sigh. I've gained 2 pounds since I started using this. I stay under the calorie limit on average, but I haven't been exercising. I started last night - obviously I have to keep it up. I hate exercise! I work 3 part-time jobs, so finding time is hard. But I'm going on a cruise in 10 months so I really need to get with it!

You need to stay under the calorie limit every day, not just half the time. You don't have to exercise, but if you're not, diet and calorie deficit are going to be a lot more important and crucial to your goals.
    Well, a week and a half later, I've started exercising (cardio and strength) and now I've GAINED ANOTHER POUND!! Very disheartening. That's it - I'm going to keep track of my measurements instead of my weight (more concerned about that anyway) I'm also going to set this thing to lose more weight each week - I think the calories are set too high. grumble grumble grrr.....

That's normal. In fact, your weight will fluctuate in the same day - one pound change is very normal even with doing everything "right". I can fluctuate 2 pounds in either direction on the very same day. You don't lose weight instantly from one day to the next, you lose weight over time.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I'm not sure what/how much you are eating. If you open the diary, we could help better.

I'm going to say something that most people won't say--I managed to lose 126 lbs doing nearly no exercise because I am disabled and use a wheelchair a lot of the time. Do I hate exercise? No, I absolutely love it. I just can't do as much anymore due to my disability. But, you can lose without it. I lost by eating the right amount of food and tracking everything I ate each day. Weight loss comes from eating at a calorie deficit, whether you exercise or not.

Having said that, it's better for your health if you exercise. There are easy things to do that are exercise. Taking walks is exercise. Taking the steps instead of the elevator is exercise. Getting up from your desk several times a day to walk to the water fountain or to stretch is exercise. Swimming is exercise. Dancing is exercise. Taking a dance class is exercising. Taking an exercise class in a pool is exercise. Doing stretches is exercise. Sometimes I sit in my recliner and work my upper body by stretching and using thera-bands. I've also put the thera-bands around my legs and worked my legs while sitting in the recliner. It's still exercise. So, do the easy things instead of the hard things if this is what you need to do. Just try to move more.

You will lose weight as long as you eat at a deficit, even if you don't exercise. But, if you don't eat at a deficit, you won't lose anything. That's the most important part.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I used to work out all the time. Went to the gym, rollerbladed, walking/running/hiking ,etc. Then I got really sick and had a bunch of surgeries and just don't seem to get back to it. I'm recovered - just not interested anymore. I have some success with an exercise program on Xbox and walking is ok. Just trying to psych myself up - hopefully having the concrete goal of a cruise will help! (BTW - it's week 3 not day 1)

I have lost 48lbs with walking as my primary exercise. You like in a town that is EXTREMELY fitness/biking/running/walking friendly. Take advantage of that. If I lived there, I would be walking LadyBird Lake EVERY FREAKING DAY!!!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Where are you at in your cycle? When I'm PMSing, I can easily gain up to 5 pounds of water weight.

Are you weighing yourself at the same time every day? If not, do - it's important to get an accurate reading.

I used to hate exercise, too. But you don't have to do a "typical" exercise - I take adult jazz classes (so fun) and I do salsa dancing via YouTube. I also lift weights, and am starting to run, but those aren't necessary. Find something that's fun for you!

This weight loss stuff is tough - you'll get there.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Chances are this has little to do with exercise and everything to do with how you're logging. I saw a diary once where the OP just listed three things each day. "Cereal". "Sandwich." "Pasta." Obviously she thought she was doing a stellar job, and only eating 500 cals a day... Another 'I'm not losing weight' poster was diligently logging around 2500 calories worth of McDonalds - two or three meals for lunch! - each day and didn't seem to know what all the red numbers meant. Another one I remember was a proper fibber, who was logging all her food as unreal fractions - like, 0.009g of pasta (0 calories!) and 0.0076g of chocolate (0 calories!)

So, your diary is private, so we can't see what the issue might be. Some common ones:

1. Weigh your food. Chances are you don't really know what 30g of cereal looks like, or 300g. Or 30g of broccolli versus 300g. Weigh it all. Surprise yourself!

2. Check the label. Some people like to make silly entries into the database, like cheese with 0 protein or sweets with 0 calories. They're lying to themselves, but they also bugger up the database for everyone else. Double check it against the label.

3. If you make a recipe, use the recipe planner. If you state you're making 4 servings, ensure you eat only a quarter of what you make.

4. Remember to add the oil you fry the veg in, the orange juice you drank, the butter on your toast and the milk in your tea.

5. Alcohol counts. It counts big time, so always log it.

6. Fruit counts too. You can get just as fat on bananas as you can on cheese.

7. You say you think the calories are set too high and you want to change them - but what are they? Change to? 1200 is quite harsh but doable for some people. I lost too fast on 1450, as I'm more active than average. Men can cut on 2000. What are your numbers? And what do you eat? We need to see the diary to really comment for sure.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Are you weighing and measuring all of your food? And logging everything consistently and accurately?

Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise. What about your sodium levels? That will really screw with the scale. And potty habits. My weight will fluctuate by 5 lbs a day. Please do take measurements as that will help ease your mind.

Also before you do anything drastic make sure you are not underestimating calories and overestimating exercise burns. Check out these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

They are incredibly helpful.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I enjoy to walking, running and kickboxing. I'm not wild about strength training but I do it anyway because adding muscle mass really boosts my metabolism. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just do it, if you want results. I agree it's a good idea not to go by the scale alone, you have to take measurements and see if your clothes fit better to find out if you're losing fat.
  • lbelanus1
    lbelanus1 Posts: 1
    Options
    A lot of times the weight gain is actually water weight that your muscles are retaining. Your body is getting use to the strenuous work you are putting it through. It will eventually get use to it, and you will lose that water weight. Give your body a good 4 weeks to get use to it. I had the same problem when I started T25! I went 6 weeks without losing anything, and then it finally started to drop. Also, make sure you are drinking lots of water (at least half your body weight) and refueling your body after your workouts with a small snack like fruit, or peanut butter, or Shakeology! Good luck! It will happen :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    A lot of times the weight gain is actually water weight that your muscles are retaining. Your body is getting use to the strenuous work you are putting it through. It will eventually get use to it, and you will lose that water weight. Give your body a good 4 weeks to get use to it. I had the same problem when I started T25! I went 6 weeks without losing anything, and then it finally started to drop. Also, make sure you are drinking lots of water (at least half your body weight) and refueling your body after your workouts with a small snack like fruit, or peanut butter, or Shakeology! Good luck! It will happen :)

fruit - yes, peanut butter - you bet!, Shakeology - no, never
  • GoForLew
    GoForLew Posts: 22
    Options
    Measurements are the best way to track weight loss. The reason being is that muscle ways more than fat, so while you may be losing inches, you might be gaining weight. I have this same problem when I am exercising. I almost never lose actual weight, but my inches go down.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    when I started running, I hated every damn minute - now if I don't run 6 days a week I get cranky and irritable. Its all about being committed and sticking with it. I don't know where I would be without running (actually I know exactly where I would be - 60lbs heavier!!). Start exercising, stick with it and the button in your head will click!