Counting driving as exercise?

Options
I know that driving does burn some calories, at least moreso than sitting. I'm not talking about your daily drive from home to the store/work, but if you are going on a trip and are driving for several hours, would you factor those burned calories into your exercise? Driving 2.5 hours is said to burn around 400 cals.

Replies

• sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't either. Driving doesn't get my heart rate up unless I'm yelling at other drivers, and that's stress, not exercise. :tongue:
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    lol no way
  • halfpintpeggy
    halfpintpeggy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't count driving as exercise. Have a safe trip!
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    No. Just no. Its like saying that I should count reading as cardio because occasionally I turn a page.
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know that driving does burn some calories, at least moreso than sitting. I'm not talking about your daily drive from home to the store/work, but if you are going on a trip and are driving for several hours, would you factor those burned calories into your exercise? Driving 2.5 hours is said to burn around 400 cals.

2.5hrs does not burn 400 cals!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Judging by the girth of many long distance truckers I'd suggest it's not burning too many calories (and I'm sure one of those big rigs is a lot more to handle than a car.....)
  • halfpintpeggy
    halfpintpeggy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't either. Driving doesn't get my heart rate up unless I'm yelling at other drivers, and that's stress, not exercise. :tongue:

Hahahahahahaha.....do I smell road rage?
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks ^^;;
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    This explains all them really fit and buff looking truck drivers? Seriously think this out.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If you were riding a sport bike around some twisty roads, then yes, it is exercise. if you're sitting on your *kitten*, unless you're doing 100+mph around a race track, then no, it is not exercise.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I drive at least 2+ hours a day....never count it as exercise. That's like counting cleaning your kitchen and bathroom as exercise. Nope.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

So does sleeping and pooping and I wouldn't count that as a calorie burn. Your body burns calories 24/7. If you start to include everything as exercise calories you will be grossly overestimating. I would never log driving as exercise!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    If you're an Indy car driver, okay.

Hitting a straight road with a little lane changing now and then.................................that's like sitting on the couch and changing the channels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I don't think it would be that much, but had you not been driving you would have burned most of those doing nothing, or even more if you were moving, and are already accounted for in your activity level, so no, don't count driving
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Lol wut?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just wow.

Agreed, this was a great laugh to start my day.
  • MFPMol
    MFPMol Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Stop. Just Stop.