Relationships make you FAT.

Options

Replies

• LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've spent all my time and energy in the last 15 years fattening up my husband so he can't get away.

Lol that's what I thought but mine gained it only 5 yrs. I fear the next ten lol
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I understand. My fiancé and I both made eating out and drinks a regular thing. I gained about 15lbs in the course of our 5 yr relationship and he's gained nearly 30lbs. We're only 26 and 28 so those are kinda scary numbers for me but late last yr I decided to make a change and I'm down almost 20lbs with another 6lbs to go til I'm at "goal". What bums me out though is my fiancé isn't on board with getting fit . Yes he's very busy but it would be nice to have him as a workout partner. Now if I ask him to workout I feel like I'm asking him to take out the trash or something. I tried cutting his portions but he wasn't going for it. We barely eat out now and I try to pack his lunches and breakfasts in the morning so hopefully he avoids junk throughout the day. I hope your successful in your journey and I hope even more you have him as your workout partner. Good luck :drinker:

Im in the same boat. My bf does not want to get healthy with me. Last night he finished a WHOLE bag of chicken nuggets fit for an entire family while I just imagined how amazing it tastes. His excuse is that "he lifts" so its ok. He says that I should eat whatever I want and workout but I need to cut down. It's hard when you're constantly surrounded by food and happy hours.

whats your plan of attack?

he's actually got a point.
    i have FINALLY found that my failure comes from restriction.
    i am much happier and successful in this since starting to follow IIFYM (if it fits your macros).

do some research on here and you may find it can work for you too.

like pizza? awesome! have some! just not too much. :)

there are no "bad" foods.
    eat it all in moderation.
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to diet when he always wants to bring home burritos (my fav)

Just eat less of it. You don't have to give up burritos or beer. Just eat and drink less than you have been, and optimally, move more as well.

^ this. I started dating my husband in college too, and to be honest wanting to be attractive to him was a big motivation to me for trying to lose weight (of course, let me clarify by saying that he found- and still finds me- attractive regardless of weight; there was no pressure from him to lose). Back then I went from 140 down to about 121 at my lightest- and I did that through both eating better and less and fencing club- but primarily eating less and healthier.

Since leaving school and moving to NYC, indulging ourselves in the tastes of the city led me to gaining a little more weight at 130, and again I decided to lose it to stay fit and be, again, as nice looking for my husband as I could. But, I didn't want to completely forgo enjoying the restaurants in the city, so here's what I do: eat right Mon-Thur, and on Friday through the weekend, we usually do takeout or go out together and/or with friends. I track all my food as much as I can, and I just try to eat until I'm full (not bloated, but just full). Do I have over days? Sure, I had two last weekend. But, that doesn't mean you still can't make progress; I've already lost about five pounds, hopefully soon to be 6 next week.

Just eat a little less of the heavy stuff and try to keep track of what you eat; I assure you it'll help you see results while still allowing you to have fun with your husband :)
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you're constantly surrounded by food and happy hours.

Yup it is hard (it darn near killed me to put away the chinese food last night without taking seconds)
    but if its worth it, you'll do it.
  • AmandaLY17
    Options
    I understand. My fiancé and I both made eating out and drinks a regular thing. I gained about 15lbs in the course of our 5 yr relationship and he's gained nearly 30lbs. We're only 26 and 28 so those are kinda scary numbers for me but late last yr I decided to make a change and I'm down almost 20lbs with another 6lbs to go til I'm at "goal". What bums me out though is my fiancé isn't on board with getting fit . Yes he's very busy but it would be nice to have him as a workout partner. Now if I ask him to workout I feel like I'm asking him to take out the trash or something. I tried cutting his portions but he wasn't going for it. We barely eat out now and I try to pack his lunches and breakfasts in the morning so hopefully he avoids junk throughout the day. I hope your successful in your journey and I hope even more you have him as your workout partner. Good luck :drinker:

Im in the same boat. My bf does not want to get healthy with me. Last night he finished a WHOLE bag of chicken nuggets fit for an entire family while I just imagined how amazing it tastes. His excuse is that "he lifts" so its ok. He says that I should eat whatever I want and workout but I need to cut down. It's hard when you're constantly surrounded by food and happy hours.

i am much happier and successful in this since starting to follow IIFYM (if it fits your macros).

No there are no bad foods, but some people really have self control issues (me!me!me!) and restriction still has to happen. I had to restrict my take out last night to one plate. One plate is the cals I had room for, one plate is really all my tummy actually needed to be full. I didnt want to. Took self control. Its a hard one to learn.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are using your boyfriend as an excuse. No way it could be your fault, right? Take ownership of the decisions you make when it comes to exercise, food and drinks and make the necessary corrections. Don't blame him.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I agree.

Mama taught me the way to a man's heart is his stomach.

It seems like relationships turn me into Betty ****in' Crocker!

Good luck!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments are overgeneralized. I wasn't blaming anyone for my weight gain except me, but lets just be honest.....if I wasn't in a relationship I wouldn't have gained all of this weight.

or, be honest with yourself.... You found him, he found you. You guys fell in love and you didn't have to try anymore, because he loves you for you.

^^^This^^^

Lovely choice of words.

but, since you do not anymore, you do this for you to love yourself again. Girl, you got this.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's the food not the relationship. The reason i'm losing is the nagging i get from my woman lol. This is just a case of needing to take personal responsibility, yeah something americans hate these days i know, and go from there. You can't blame the food either.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I can totally see where the OP is coming from to be honest. My wife and I got married 9 years ago - lovely honeymoon photos, nice and slim and fit

Romantically, we returned to the exact same place a year later and we were chubby and out of shape - age 41

Fortunately we have done something about it and now we are back looking a bit fitter
  • LC458
    Options

Lol really the only excise I can get him to do is to walk with me because I'm "needy" and I need to talk about my feelings lol. He'll walk with me just so we can talk but I do know a lot of men aren't really into the talking thing. Lol. I have snuck in spinach and kale in our fruit smoothies, switched us from high cal ranch to a Greek yogurt dip for our carrot sticks and other dunk able veggies and I try to keep filling snacks in the house, stovetop cooked popcorn, yogurt, cheese sticks, and beef jerky (low cal and high in protein). That's good your bf lifts though, at least he is or should be maintaining muscle. As far as happy hours go.... Yeah I had to abandon ship altogether on that one. Occasionally I'll have a whiskey straight but that's certainly some tolerance buildup there loo
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    As many have said, I totally disagree. I will say that when I started dating my SO we went out a lot (which can be a part of dating) however, I also stopped going to the gym as much (this was 5 years ago) and so on. It wasn't just being with him that made this happen, it was a variety of things.

However, when I started going back to the gym he didn't change how he ate because that is up to him but when we had a talk - one of those midnight, I'm serious and this is bugging me talks, he agreed that if it means this much to me and it's really something I want then he will not suggest going out, he will respect my grocery list and not just throw things in the cart and so on. Since then, my self control has increased so if he brings home junk I can have a little without devouring the whole pack/bag. I have found that being with him and the support he gave me has seriously help me lose it - even if I did gain it from the beginning of our relationship.

He is my supporter and even if he doesn't see the value in changing what I eat or getting up early to go to the gym he still supports my decision to do it. He gets it because it is important to me, and that's what matters. My relationship has made me better through this journey I'd say.

I am confident that I didn't just gain this weight from going out with him.

I should also add that my SO happens to be one of those people who eats whatever and stays thin - he also has a physical job but still, he hasn't gained anything in 5 years . . . or maybe his whole life ha ha.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The only reason a relationship would make someone fat is if you focused more time on the relationship and stopped going to the gym, counting calories, etc.
  • LC458
    Options
    I agree.

Mama taught me the way to a man's heart is his stomach.

It seems like relationships turn me into Betty ****in' Crocker!

Good luck!

betty-crocker-comp3_sally.jpg
  • shannonbrown8489
    Options
    my husband likes cooking and he cooks a lot of food at a time so i always felt like i had to eat a lot of it as to not waste it or hurt his feelings (even though i was full) now i just eat until i've had enough and if he brings home carry out, i just get a little bit, even when he says "that's all you're having???" lol
  • AmandaLY17
    Options
    The only reason a relationship would make someone fat is if you focused more time on the relationship and stopped going to the gym, counting calories, etc.

LOL, I was very fit when I met my now husband. I never ever stepped foot in a gym and probably couldnt even tell you what a calorie was. I am now 70 lbs heavier and even when I spend time consistantly at a gym can maintain my weight

(eta: this isnt blaming my relationship for getting fat, just refuting the quoted statement.)
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Relationships with the wrong food makes you fat. Not the relationship with a person. I could blame my husband, my pregnancies, but it was really the bad choices. No ones fault but my own.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have actually been losing weight together. I completely understand where you're coming from tho, I'm a happy eater too, but you can turn things around with him with some hard work!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

No there are no bad foods, but some people really have self control issues (me!me!me!) and restriction still has to happen. I had to restrict my take out last night to one plate. One plate is the cals I had room for, one plate is really all my tummy actually needed to be full. I didnt want to. Took self control. Its a hard one to learn.

i guess i should have been clearer...when i was referencing restriction, i was talking about trying to go no sugar, no carb, no processed food, no white bread, no beef, low fat....

what you did is exactly how i try to roll.

you wanted chinese, so you had some.
    you made it fit in your day.

success!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It's weird, I've gained weight and she is losing!

Z6d08.gif