Suggest easy ways for me to consume more baby spinach!

Options
Atticus_
Atticus_ Posts: 11
I like eating baby spinach on my sandwiches instead of lettuce. Only problem is I live alone and end up throwing out about half of even the smallest package because I cant eat it all before it's bad. Anyone have and easy salad recipes or other crafty ways of eating all this spinach? thanks in advance!

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    If you drink smoothies, stick'em in there?

That's all I got. :c
  • ekmcdan
    ekmcdan Posts: 38
    Options
    I second the smoothies...

maybe add some side salads?

who really likes salad, though.... :frown:

EDIT: you asked for recipes and I did not do the thing. i am sorry.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    for breakfast today I had an egg spinach "muffin" (scrambled eggs baked in a muffin tin), with a green smoothie, made with spinach. For lunch having a wrap with hummus, chicken and spinach. Don't know what's for dinner yet, but I'm thinking....spinach. Just kidding.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here's a few ways I use it:

-Mediterranean Quinoa- 1 C Quinoa cooked, add spinach, avocados, tomatoes, & feta topped with oilve oil dressing (equal parts olive oil & lemon juice) with a little salt to taste

-Smoothies

-Veggie Muffins
    http://www.directorjewels.com/2013/03/dairy-egg-free-fruit-veggie-muffins-picky-toddler-wont-eat-vegetables-recipe.html?m=1

-Homemade version of Jason’s Deli Nutty Mixed-Up Salad
    Greens (spinach or spring mix), grapes, feta, nuts, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, raisins and apples and you can add chicken to it
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    smoothies
    great with scrambled eggs as well
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    My ideas got taken, dang.

You could always make spinach dip and freeze it, but that would leave you with a lot of frozen spinach dip...
  • remlaw06
    remlaw06 Posts: 20
    Options
    Cook it if it starts to look like its going to turn. A massive amount of raw spinach will cook to a tiny bit of cooked spinach. I add that to omelets or eat it plain with some olive oil and garlic.
  • Atticus_
    Atticus_ Posts: 11
    Options
    Eating it with eggs is a great idea! I don't do smoothies, but the salads sound good too!
  • Breadstick5
    Breadstick5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sautéed with onions and garlic.
    Stuff chicken breast with sautéed spinach and feta cheese.
    Spinach salads with egg, onions and cheese with poppyseed dressing.
  • Butterf1y_Effect
    Butterf1y_Effect Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try some delicious palak paneer. :

Here is one recipe:

http://pinchofyum.com/homemade-healthy-palak-paneer
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    you can put spinach in anything.

I put mine in smoothies, egg scrambles, casseroles, and sometimes I'll just sautee a bunch at one and put it with some chicken. MIne goes quick
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    2 cups of spinach, 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, 1lg chopped and peeled carrot, 1/2 of an apple, add a splash of water and a few ice cubes and blend. Really refreshing with fresh mint too. I make these on the weekends now that it's finally hot!!
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I add some to soups and pasta sauces in the last few minutes of cooking.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    spinach reduces to nothing when you heat it, try adding it to eggs and stir fries, there was a recipe for a stuffed chicken breast if you want to search that, also you can make pesto with spinach instead of basil.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach, sliced strawberries, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

Also, if you switch your sandwiches to wraps, you can stuff a whole lot more spinach in there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Steam them and eat them smothered in butter. Or salt if you don't want butter.
    Stick it in an omelet, or whip up eggs and pour in a baking dish with the spinach and whatever other veggies you like and bake it.
    Put it in soup. Lentil soup comes to mind, but it would be good in just about any kind of thin broth soup.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Spinach and chickpeas

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped shallot
    1 tablespoon pine nuts
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
    1 9 - ounce package fresh spinach, chopped (8 cups)
    1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce

Directions

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot, pine nuts, and garlic; cook about 3 minutes or until shallot is tender. Stir in the garbanzo beans; cook and stir for 1 minute more.
    Gradually add the spinach and soy sauce to skillet and toss lightly just until spinach is wilted. Transfer spinach mixture to a serving bowl. Serve immediately.

Servings Per Recipe: 4
    PER SERVING: 90 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 272 mg sodium, 11 g carb. (3 g fiber, 2 g sugars), 4 g protein

I eat it with grilled shrimp. Adjust calories obviously.

You can also wrap your lettuce/spinach in paper towels, put in ziploc and it should keep a bit longer.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    man, I like to just cook it by the handfuls with some garlic and olive oil on the stove top. + salt and + vinegar, it's beautiful.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Top with crumbled bacon and drizzle with warm balsamic vinegar.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I put baby spinach in my protein shakes. I go through a big container every week.