Suggest easy ways for me to consume more baby spinach!

Options

Replies

• DevSanchez
    DevSanchez Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Cooked spinach and feta...mmm
  • strawberrypopsicles
    Options
    chop it up and put it in eggs or omelets

Spinach is good in lasagna and stuffed shells, especially mixed with cream cheese though that's probably not the healthiest way to consume it hahaha
  • chamberlain3
    chamberlain3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I buy a big bag of spinach at Costco. I eat half of it fresh throughout the week in salads but the other half I freeze right away, parceling it out into small freezer bags. That way I don't waste any. I throw the frozen spinach into frittatas, stirfry, add it to pasta sauce and put it on top of pizza :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    oh goodness, my favie.

Add it in salads with your mezclun greens.
    Put it in omelets.
    Throw it in your smoothie.
    Stir fry it with garlic and olive oil along with portobella mushrooms.
    Add it to tomato sauce for pasta or throw it on the pasta before pouring the sauce over it.
    Add it to lasagna.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I buy a big bag of spinach at Costco. I eat half of it fresh throughout the week in salads but the other half I freeze right away, parceling it out into small freezer bags.

Word for word, that's what I do. Awesome! :wink:
  • ValGogo
    Options
    Oo, OO! make the spinach "meat" balls that one poster put on this site once.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I saute it with a little olive oil, chopped up portobello mushroom cap, and half an onion thinly sliced (cook the onion and mushroom a little bit first before adding the spinach). A little salt and pepper and I serve it next to my eggs, either scrambled or over easy. It's good. It's my new favorite.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I put baby spinach in my protein shakes. I go through a big container every week.

WORD! My green grocer has the pillow-sized (literally, the size of a regular pillow) bags of spinach and of mezclun greens and they used to be 4.99. Now they are 7.99. Still good.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Florentine anything! Put the rest in a slow cooker lasagna (you might have to buy a big bag for this), roll it into flattened chicken breast with feta and Greek seasoning and bake it. Or try stir frying it in a sesame stir fry. What else... could probably use it in a garlic and shrimp stir fry too. Make a taco dip with spinach instead of lettuce? There should be lots of things.

You can also try transferring it from the bag to a well sealed container to make it last a bit longer. I find the spinach that comes in the boxes lasts longer than the bagged stuff.

Also, you can always freeze it before it's bad too! Just keep freezing the leftovers and then when you're done make a dish that calls for frozen spinach. All Recipes (a site) allows you to input ingredients that you have and pops out recipes. You could try that.

EDIT: Ah all these things had already been suggested! You can ... also feed it to your dog (if you have one, ha)! They're omnivores. And their stomachs can probably handle it when it isn't as fresh as you would need it. They can eat raw meat, a little limp spinach might not be so bad.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Throw them into stir-fry.

If you eat scrambled eggs, they're great in those.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    +1 for palak paneer. SO good.

what about pizza?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    +1 for pizza.

Spanakopitas! Yum!
  • afbrzoska
    afbrzoska Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Summer Salad: baby spinach, mixed berries, red onion, goat cheese medallions (warmed or preferably rolled in pumpkin seeds and toasted), topped with a berry or balsamic vinaigrette. Sooooo good!
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    In eggs or smoothies works for me... I do a quick smoothie with protein powder, baby spinach, frozen strawberries and flax seed. That works really well on the run.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Cook it if it starts to look like its going to turn. A massive amount of raw spinach will cook to a tiny bit of cooked spinach. I add that to omelets or eat it plain with some olive oil and garlic.

This! That's what I always do. It is great cooked as a side dish and shrivels up to nothing!
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Put it in omelets.
    Stir fry it with garlic and olive oil along with portobella mushrooms.
    Add it to tomato sauce for pasta or throw it on the pasta before pouring the sauce over it.
    Add it to lasagna.

I do all these, but my favorite is to steam the spinach over my pasta water for the last 90 seconds before I drain the pasta, then stir the spinach in and top it with tomato sauce. Delicious, and it means I can have a huge plate of "pasta" without a huge caloric hit.
  • tinks_13
    tinks_13 Posts: 40
    Options
    Smoothies, sautéed, as a salad (I throw together whatever comes to my imagination. it's usually spinach, chicken, tomatoes, salt, pepper and lemon juice), in an omlette, a stir-fry. You can throw spinach into whatever you want really or serve them as a side. You can put them in any kind of cooking! :)
  • Sinful_moon
    Sinful_moon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Smoothies, salad, in eggs - either scrambled, omelet or breakfast burrito

If you're using it for smoothies you can just throw it in the freezer before it goes bad.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sautee or wilt and serve under whatever your main course is. Scramble with eggs. (Bon Appetit has a good recipe for a modified Eggs Florentine.) Just stuff it in your face. Spinach cooks down a *lot*, so if you cook a big bagful you end up with a manageable amount of food.